Battery life is terrible

mastervader

Reaction score
I had the original Droid and DroidX and now I got the Droid 2 global so I can take it on vacation with me and use it overseas.

I had the phone 3 days and I notice that around 5 or 6pm I am running out of battery and have to plug it back in.

With my Droid X I could go a full day and leave it charging overnight.

What kind of battery life are you guys getting?

mfendley

Reaction score
Less than a full day. I have just switched it from Global to CMDA in the preferred network mode to see if the battery life improves.

I'll shift it back to Global where the CMDA is weak.

OP
M

mastervader

Reaction score
What's using the highest percentage of your battery life?

THats exactly what I checked a few minutes ago, it was actually VOICE CALLS at more than 50% for some reason, and I had no made a call in the last 2 hours. I rebooted the phone and made a call again. Now VOICE CALLS sitds around 9%

I am a pretty experienced Droid user, so I can tell when someting is wrong.
Battery life is way too short on this phone.
I am already rooted ad deleted all the bloatware (blockbuster,city id, etc)
and now I am thinking of trying to SetCPU to lower the cpu speed to 800 and use it a whole day and see what happens. Ill try it tomorrow

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Good luck. I only have that kind of problem with making voice calls if I'm having a very bad signal night at home -- I routinely get -95dBm signal in the house.

OP
M

mastervader

Reaction score
Less than a full day. I have just switched it from Global to CMDA in the preferred network mode to see if the battery life improves.

I'll shift it back to Global where the CMDA is weak.

I changed it to CDMA only last night and battery still sucks

commander flatus

Reaction score
Underclocking at 800 mhz today with slightly better results...

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

wahugg

Reaction score
Guys, couldn't it just be because its a brand new battery and it needs breaking in? Both my Env touch, and my original Droid had terrible battery life in the first week or so. After that the battery life improved. The batteries till didn't last to long, but they improved by about an hour or two after using it for the first few weeks.
- Wahugg

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
It could also be that you have a low performing battery. If you look at the battery in your phone you will see 2 values listed. 1 of them is the typical value. This means that every battery has a possible charge range it could fall into, and they don't exactly test every single battery. So, some will hold more, others less. If your battery life continues to be this terrible consider going back to verizon and asking about a free replacement. They might give you a new 1 and it might perform better.

This came from my brain by way of my finger and my phone. Don't ask where any of them have been. Especially the brain.

cyro

Reaction score
I am having the same problem with my battery. Almost no talk time (less then 5 minutes) and only averaging 1 message an hour. The phone is sitting idle with SetCPU clocking to 300 when phone is locked and radio is set to CDMA only. I am still seeing only about 6 hours of battery. My fiance's droid 2 regular, which we received at the same time and went through the same battery conditioning, is getting about double the battery life with a lot more widgets running in the background.

I guess I will just have to hope that the battery gets better over time or the Merge is released before my 30 day exchange is up.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
I am having the same problem with my battery. Almost no talk time (less then 5 minutes) and only averaging 1 message an hour. The phone is sitting idle with SetCPU clocking to 300 when phone is locked and radio is set to CDMA only. I am still seeing only about 6 hours of battery. My fiance's droid 2 regular, which we received at the same time and went through the same battery conditioning, is getting about double the battery life with a lot more widgets running in the background.

I guess I will just have to hope that the battery gets better over time or the Merge is released before my 30 day exchange is up.
If it's the same battery, why not take one for the team and try swapping batteries to see if it's the phone itself. :)

menoarenoniceguy

Reaction score
Just activated this phone yesterday and can't believe how bad the battery life is...

switched it to CDMA only and tweaked some other settings then installed advanced task killer -- curios to see how much better it does today.

If anyone has an tips on how to extend the battery life on this thing please share!!!
thanks!

wahugg

Reaction score
Like I said before you need to break the battery in. If you want to break in faster all you need to do is use it very heavily for about a week. Cycle it all the way so basically just let it go down almost all the way, then charge and repeat. It took all of my newer phones about 2 weeks to achieve and acceptable battery level and even longer to achieve its full capacity.

One other thing I did notice is that the standby time for the droid 2 global is much much less than the droid 2. The droid 2 global standby time is 230 hours and 8.3 hours talk while the regular droid 2 is at 350 hours standby and 9.58 hours talk time.

So in my eyes, the droid 2 global uses much more battery and the battery break in may hinder the battery performance even more. In the end I do expect it to last less due to the specs.

Sources: Verizon

menoarenoniceguy

Reaction score
ATK is not good for Android phones. Tends to kill the battery a LOT faster.
I have heard arguments for both sides as to whether it is better or worse -- all I know is nothing could be worse than the battery life I experienced yesterday...had to fully recharge halfway through the day and then it almost drained all the way down a second time -- which if I was using it very heavily I could understand...but I was hardly using it at all