Battery life is terrible

menoarenoniceguy

Reaction score
Are you using any widgets? Are you leaving the WiFi on even though you're not connected to any networks?
nope, no widgets at all and I've only turned the wifi on when it was plugged in. I'm going to see if it's any better today...maybe the battery just needs to be conditioned a little bit.

OP
M

mastervader

Reaction score
So last nite i fully charge the phone and unplugged it at 10pm exactly, went out and only check to see if i had emails or messages a few times during the nite.

I got home at 2 and my battery was down to 40% in 4 hours of no use!

I charged it again and rebooted the phone and let it sit after 4am. Today at 12 noon still had over 80% battery left.

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE FROM LAST NITE TO THIS MORNING WAS THAT I DID NOT LAUNCH EBUDDY APP

Is anyone here having this problem using EBUDDY?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
So last nite i fully charge the phone and unplugged it at 10pm exactly, went out and only check to see if i had emails or messages a few times during the nite.

I got home at 2 and my battery was down to 40% in 4 hours of no use!

I charged it again and rebooted the phone and let it sit after 4am. Today at 12 noon still had over 80% battery left.

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE FROM LAST NITE TO THIS MORNING WAS THAT I DID NOT LAUNCH EBUDDY APP

Is anyone here having this problem using EBUDDY?

Get into the settings and and find the battery savings option. With that checked it only polls every 15 minutes.

OP
M

mastervader

Reaction score
Yes! It was EBUDDY killing my battery.

The problem is the same day i activated my droid 2 global, ebuddy also launched an update.

I was using the prior version with my droid x and had no problems

commander flatus

Reaction score
battery break-in

isn't really applicable to lithium-ion technology:

How to prolong lithium-based batteries

I also don't really agree that ATK drains batteries faster. Using sensible settings, it definitely made my battery last longer.

I would also underscore the importance of checking the auto-polling settings of all of your installed apps. Many use very irresponsible defaults. My personal favorite is the Remember The Milk app which defaults to auto-syncing every 5 minutes (!!!). It will slay your battery in half a day or less.

Finally, the extended battery rocks! It's not very expensive, only adds slightly to the size of the phone and I no longer have to worry about plugging the phone in during the day. In fact, I did heavy wifi use and calls yesterday, forgot to plug the phone in and still have 40% life today.

Flatulently,

cyro

Reaction score
Found the battery problem. After reading about battery saving techniques on the X I turned off all my location based services in Location and Security under the settings menu. That did it. Sitting at 90% with the phone having been on for 5 hours.

The odd thing is that my fiance's regular droid 2 does not suffer from the same battery problems with the services turned on. Maybe there is more then just a processor and radio difference between the two phones.

Hope this can help other people having battery problems on the global.

-Cyro

maus

Reaction score
Found the battery problem. After reading about battery saving techniques on the X I turned off all my location based services in Location and Security under the settings menu. That did it. Sitting at 90% with the phone having been on for 5 hours.

The odd thing is that my fiance's regular droid 2 does not suffer from the same battery problems with the services turned on. Maybe there is more then just a processor and radio difference between the two phones.

-Cyro

I got my phone on Friday and I was a total newbie to Android. I set some settings and was okay with people saying "the battery going fast" because my EnV touch would drain 2 bars after sending a picture text.

I let it charge to around 70% (turned on around 50%) and then came home hours later and charged to full. I woke up and took it out of charge (now when I did this, I went back to sleep so it was just idling for a few hours). With somewhat medium use, by the end of the day (~10 PM), my battery had drained to 5%.

I changed all my network settings and turned my GPS settings off the next night. I charged it the same way (because it goes to full pretty quickly) and then let it idle for probably 5 hours. With the phone pretty much not doing anything, I woke up with the battery at I want to say 70%. I charged it to full because I had a full day ahead of me and then continued on. With using facebook here and there and sending some texts via handcent, my battery died in about 7 hours..COMPLETLEY died. Keep in mind my screen was on lock/off 90% of the time and in my battery stats, it said my screen brightness was taking up 40%+ of my battery usage.

What gives? I thought about an extended battery, but come on...7 hours is normal for hardly any usage? I'm scared to think what will happen when I actually USE the phone and have no place to charge it...

Via VZW, the droid 2 global's battery stats are the following:

Battery

• Usage time: up to 500 minutes
  • Standby time: up to 230 hours
I couldn't even reach the 500 min (~8.3 hours)! I know the battery is still "breaking in", but I'm not sure what other settings to change. This became a lengthy post..lol

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Not normal. My Droid 1 is overclocked to run just as fast your phone and I can easily get 10-12 WITH usage. Avg day would be about 40-50 emails, at least 100+ texts, who knows how much time on this app, and games!
I know you said display was at 40% but, what were some of the others? Is your WiFi on? Connected? Is your display on Auto Brightness? How good is your signal where you were?

-Cyro

I got my phone on Friday and I was a total newbie to Android. I set some settings and was okay with people saying "the battery going fast" because my EnV touch would drain 2 bars after sending a picture text.

I let it charge to around 70% (turned on around 50%) and then came home hours later and charged to full. I woke up and took it out of charge (now when I did this, I went back to sleep so it was just idling for a few hours). With somewhat medium use, by the end of the day (~10 PM), my battery had drained to 5%.

I changed all my network settings and turned my GPS settings off the next night. I charged it the same way (because it goes to full pretty quickly) and then let it idle for probably 5 hours. With the phone pretty much not doing anything, I woke up with the battery at I want to say 70%. I charged it to full because I had a full day ahead of me and then continued on. With using facebook here and there and sending some texts via handcent, my battery died in about 7 hours..COMPLETLEY died. Keep in mind my screen was on lock/off 90% of the time and in my battery stats, it said my screen brightness was taking up 40%+ of my battery usage.

What gives? I thought about an extended battery, but come on...7 hours is normal for hardly any usage? I'm scared to think what will happen when I actually USE the phone and have no place to charge it...

Via VZW, the droid 2 global's battery stats are the following:

Battery

• Usage time: up to 500 minutes
  • Standby time: up to 230 hours
I couldn't even reach the 500 min (~8.3 hours)! I know the battery is still "breaking in", but I'm not sure what other settings to change. This became a lengthy post..lol

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums app (free in market)

maus

Reaction score
Not normal. My Droid 1 is overclocked to run just as fast your phone and I can easily get 10-12 WITH usage. Avg day would be about 40-50 emails, at least 100+ texts, who knows how much time on this app, and games!
I know you said display was at 40% but, what were some of the others? Is your WiFi on? Connected? Is your display on Auto Brightness?

Thx for the reply bud. Yeah I reached no where near what you had. I honestly don't remember what some of the others were..I think the next highest was idle and then Android system. My WiFi was off in the duration of the day. It was only on at home, but then I charged it before I left.

Also, I read about how auto brightness kills the battery. I turned it off and put it at about 2/5 of the way? I can't really explain it, but just enough where its not so dim that it hurts my eyes, but not so bright that it'll kill the battery. I tried to lower it, but no way will I be able to see easily. I used ATK the past couple of days, but read that it sort of messes with the whole thing, so I stopped using that too...

I've also changed my network to CDMA since the first hour I had the phone. I feel like such a newbie with Android, funny thing is, I'm majoring in Information Systems and have experience with Linux, lol

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yeah, ATK is the culprit in alot of user's issues. I use it ONLY to shut down apps that get hung up. Most who install ATK will set it to auto kill and that's the issue. Being familiar with Linux, you probably already know why.
The WiFi came to mind because of how these phones are programmed to scan when its on but not connected.
Display is always the biggest battery hog but, mine is on Auto with no issues at all.
How many widgets do you have running?

I know you said display was at 40% but, what were some of the others? Is your WiFi on? Connected? Is your display on Auto Brightness?

Thx for the reply bud. Yeah I reached no where near what you had. I honestly don't remember what some of the others were..I think the next highest was idle and then Android system. My WiFi was off in the duration of the day. It was only on at home, but then I charged it before I left.

Also, I read about how auto brightness kills the battery. I turned it off and put it at about 2/5 of the way? I can't really explain it, but just enough where its not so dim that it hurts my eyes, but not so bright that it'll kill the battery. I tried to lower it, but no way will I be able to see easily. I used ATK the past couple of days, but read that it sort of messes with the whole thing, so I stopped using that too...

I've also changed my network to CDMA since the first hour I had the phone. I feel like such a newbie with Android, funny thing is, I'm majoring in Information Systems and have experience with Linux, lol

maus

Reaction score
Yeah, ATK is the culprit in alot of user's issues. I use it ONLY to shut down apps that get hung up. Most who install ATK will set it to auto kill and that's the issue. Being familiar with Linux, you probably already know why.
The WiFi came to mind because of how these phones are programmed to scan when its on but not connected.
Display is always the biggest battery hog but, mine is on Auto with no issues at all.

I actually removed a lot of widgets. Here is a list of the widgets I have on all my screens:

screen 1: Power widget from Android (lets me toggle the wifi, bluetooth, gps, sync, brightness)

screen 2: android widgets for wifi, bluetooth, gps, airplane (i added the power widget so i can use the brightness feature, but never got rid of these). I also have the weather widget and the calendar widget.

screen 3: empty

screen 4: empty

screen 5: google search widget (comes stock with the phone) and a Call/Text widget for four of my favorites

screen 6: I don't use these, but it's a music and picture gallery widget.

screen 7: empty

=\ haha. and yeah, that's the only reason why I haven't deleted ATK, just in case something gets stuck. To be honest, I'm so used to my old EnV Touch that I pretty much only use my main screen (only have 4 shortcuts for facebook, browser, market and handcent)

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
That doesn't sound too bad. Idk man...how long have you had it?

I actually removed a lot of widgets. Here is a list of the widgets I have on all my screens:

screen 1: Power widget from Android (lets me toggle the wifi, bluetooth, gps, sync, brightness)

screen 2: android widgets for wifi, bluetooth, gps, airplane (i added the power widget so i can use the brightness feature, but never got rid of these). I also have the weather widget and the calendar widget.

screen 3: empty

screen 4: empty

screen 5: google search widget (comes stock with the phone) and a Call/Text widget for four of my favorites

screen 6: I don't use these, but it's a music and picture gallery widget.

screen 7: empty

=\ haha. and yeah, that's the only reason why I haven't deleted ATK, just in case something gets stuck. To be honest, I'm so used to my old EnV Touch that I pretty much only use my main screen (only have 4 shortcuts for facebook, browser, market and handcent)

maus

Reaction score

I got it on Friday..so two days! I'm willing to wait a week or two for the battery to get settled down, but if this continues, it's ridiculous. No way am I having the phone sent under warranty, because they'll give me a crappy refurb'd one. I replaced my env touch 10+ times and it was never better than when I got it brand new. It always rebooted and did stupid crap. Only thing I'll settle for is having the battery replaced, which should be fine (I had the battery replaced on the env touch too). So we'll see...

Looking into rooting it soon as well so I can get rid of these unwanted apps

Will also look at some extended batteries. There shouldn't be any issues with finding a regular D2 battery, I'm assuming, right?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
If you return it within 30 days for a defect, that's considered DOA which will get you a new one! See how it is tomorrow (batteries are usually good to go after 3 days though lithium ion batteries are said not to "learn" but Idk).

I got it on Friday..so two days! I'm willing to wait a week or two for the battery to get settled down, but if this continues, it's ridiculous. No way am I having the phone sent under warranty, because they'll give me a crappy refurb'd one. I replaced my env touch 10+ times and it was never better than when I got it brand new. It always rebooted and did stupid crap. Only thing I'll settle for is having the battery replaced, which should be fine (I had the battery replaced on the env touch too). So we'll see...

Looking into rooting it soon as well so I can get rid of these unwanted apps