CPU Deep Sleep & Battery Life

ExodusC

Reaction score
Hi guys. I was doing a little research on my D2G, and I have a question for everyone. For those of you getting insane battery life (24+ hours, etc), can you install CPU Spy and see what percentage of the time your CPU is in the "deep sleep" mode?

I get decent battery life, around 15ish hours I'd estimate, and I notice my CPU is usually only in deep sleep mode for roughly 20% of the time when the screen is off, the rest of the time being at 300MHz for the most part. I had heard some people tend to have their CPU in deep sleep around 80% of the time with the screen off (no running apps like music playing or anything).

I'm trying to find a link between the weird range of battery life we see on the D2G. I did notice I fixed the 3-5 hour battery issue caused by the init process sucking up 100% of the CPU by enabling USB debugging (weird fix, but a known issue).

So if anyone can help me out here, I'd appreciate it. I just want to see how everyone elses D2Gs are acting. For the record, I'm running HeXen ROM. Thanks!

Sent from my Droid 2 Global via Tapatalk.

OP
E

ExodusC

Reaction score
I hate to bump, but can anyone else just take 5 minutes to feed me some info? I'm trying to figure out why some can get 3 days of battery life, but with the same exact settings, others cannot get anywhere near that.

Captain Ned

Reaction score
Just installed. I'll leave the phone out of its cradle overnight and see what happens. Running Hexen ROM 1.0.1 if that changes anything. Wi-fi is on and I usually see 1 or 2 bars of signal here on my desk at home.

captain howdy

Reaction score
Ok I have gone 2 days 21 hrs with out charging. I use the app android booster and turned off everything. I found that the 3g was eating most of my bath. Keep in mind I did nothing on my phone except answer 1 or 2 short calls. With normal use the batt will last me 16 to 18 hrs, heavy usage 8 hrs. Hope this helps

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

leobg

Reaction score
I hate to bump, but can anyone else just take 5 minutes to feed me some info? I'm trying to figure out why some can get 3 days of battery life, but with the same exact settings, others cannot get anywhere near that.

One of the main reasons for shortened battery life which is beyond users control is the strength of the network connection. Weaker the signal is, faster the battery goes. If you are spending your time in a close proximity to the cell tower, the phone will use very little power to stay connected. And opposite - when you are too far or behind too many walls where signal hardly penetrates, the phone will struggle to stay connected forcing its radio to work at full power. This is the real battery killer.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

OP
E

ExodusC

Reaction score

One of the main reasons for shortened battery life which is beyond users control is the strength of the network connection. Weaker the signal is, faster the battery goes. If you are spending your time in a close proximity to the cell tower, the phone will use very little power to stay connected. And opposite - when you are too far or behind too many walls where signal hardly penetrates, the phone will struggle to stay connected forcing its radio to work at full power. This is the real battery killer.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
This is more of the same stuff everyone repeats back.

Fact of the matter is, I'm very close to a cell tower, and I virtually always have four bars of service.

It does not seem to make much of a difference for me.

No one thus far has actually reported what percentage of the time their device remains in deep sleep mode.

bikedude880

Reaction score
I see on average 70% time in deep sleep. A good way to track down offending apps is to type " *#*#4636#*#* " into the dialer and select battery history. There will be a drop down option there to view "partial wakelock". For mine, a couple Tasker profiles were eating battery.

Also, attempt a battery stat reset. It will let the system more acurately judge battery capacity and therefore increase life.

My current max is just over 40 hours on Froyo Blur. Good luck!

Sent from my White DROID 2 GLOBAL.

OP
E

ExodusC

Reaction score
I see on average 70% time in deep sleep. A good way to track down offending apps is to type " *#*#4636#*#* " into the dialer and select battery history. There will be a drop down option there to view "partial wakelock". For mine, a couple Tasker profiles were eating battery.

Also, attempt a battery stat reset. It will let the system more acurately judge battery capacity and therefore increase life.

My current max is just over 40 hours on Froyo Blur. Good luck!

Now this is some wonderful information. First of all, Facebook had been causing partial waking of the CPU for a huge amount of time. I solved this by disabling Facebook notifications without a manual refresh, which isn't a big deal for me. Now I'm seeing the CPU being in deep sleep about 80% of the time, which is great. I'm going to see what else I can do now.

I have a question regarding battery stat resets. I run the BP7X extended battery, and I'm not sure when I should reset the stats. Do I fully charge, then reset them? I've never understood when it should be performed.

Thanks for the advice, this needs to be incorporated into the battery guides filled with relatively obvious information.

bikedude880

Reaction score
Glad my information was useful and I agree, this would make sense in a battery guide (clarification or otherwise).

The process for battery stat reset is as follows:

1) Charge to 100%
2) Reset stats (via CWM or an app)
3) Drain battery to 0%. Let it die.
4) Charge to 100% without interruption.

Captain Ned

Reaction score
OK, after an overnight sitting on my desk (about 14 hours in total), I've got 60% battery remaining. CPU stats are:

Deep Sleep - 89%
300 MHz - 9%

Nothing else reaches 1%, although 3rd place goes to 1200 MHz with 7 minutes in 14 or so hours.

OP
E

ExodusC

Reaction score
Glad my information was useful and I agree, this would make sense in a battery guide (clarification or otherwise).

The process for battery stat reset is as follows:

1) Charge to 100%
2) Reset stats (via CWM or an app)
3) Drain battery to 0%. Let it die.
4) Charge to 100% without interruption.

I'll try to do this today, if I have time.

Now, regarding deep sleep and partial wake events, I noticed I actually couldn't get my CPU into deep sleep until fully uninstalling the Facebook app. Does anyone else use the Facebook app and can confirm if it's causing these partial wake events for you as well?

I want to use the app, but I need to determine how to get the process to remain asleep, rather than waking my CPU every couple of seconds from just running in the background.