Battery % app?

A.Brooks

Reaction score
Is there an app out there that will allow me to see what % of my battery is left, rather than just the default one that updates like every 5% at best, and only when plugged in or low? I'd like one that I could just pop up and find out how much battery there was. Doesn't have to be always on or anything, but that could be cool too.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Is there an app out there that will allow me to see what % of my battery is left, rather than just the default one that updates like every 5% at best, and only when plugged in or low? I'd like one that I could just pop up and find out how much battery there was. Doesn't have to be always on or anything, but that could be cool too.

There's a free widget called Battery Left. Takes up one icon space, or you can choose to take up two.

It takes some time to calibrate to your battery, but is VERY effective and accurate. I will show you the % and time remaining til it dies. They also added the feature to show that time that it's estimated to die...

Next time, you might try searching "battery" in the market, or search this forum, because I've read a handful of posts on battery apps/widgets. You might find something you like better than Battery Left, but that's what I use and am pleased with it.

jbsangel

Reaction score
There are lots of battery widgets on the market, try searching 'battery' or 'battery widget' in the market place. Note if you have a Droid that the system only reports battery changes in 10% increments until you are down to 20% left.

Silver Member
Reaction score
battery apps also poll the battery, resources constantly, so they're an added drain (something to consider). the meter in teh display window should be adequate for what you're doing. once you're used to the positioning of the graph, vs. what the current status is, you'll learn how to read when to charge, etc.

jbsangel

Reaction score
battery apps also poll the battery, resources constantly, so they're an added drain (something to consider). the meter in teh display window should be adequate for what you're doing. once you're used to the positioning of the graph, vs. what the current status is, you'll learn how to read when to charge, etc.
Yeah but that icon on the notification bar to me just doesn't update enough in my opinion. It will show half full when my battery less than 30% which isn't really all that useful.

Right now it showing almost full, just one "tick" below full, yet my battery is reporting 70% so really i'm somewhere between 60 and 70% yet the icon is like i'm just a tad below full.

Big Cam

Reaction score
Yeah but that icon on the notification bar to me just doesn't update enough in my opinion. It will show half full when my battery less than 30% which isn't really all that useful.

Right now it showing almost full, just one "tick" below full, yet my battery is reporting 70% so really i'm somewhere between 60 and 70% yet the icon is like i'm just a tad below full.
I hear you, the factory battery symbol has 3 ticks, full, almost full, and red for practically dead.

I use the battery left widget, and it is awesome. I expect a solid day out of my phone and expect to charge it every night, so I don't really care if the widget is constantly draining my battery, it's not even as much as the cell standby so what's the harm.

I'd recommend it.

jbsangel

Reaction score
I am using Battery Left and I also have Battery Status widget. Both are on my homescreen at the moment and have been for the last few days. None even make it into the list of apps in the battery usage stats. I'm probably going to ditch Battery Status soon since Battery Left seems to work well for me and it is an interesting little app.

I also purchased a different battery widget that I was using for a few weeks and it too never made it into the list of apps in the battery usage statistics. At the moment that means that they are each haven't accounted for more than 3% of my battery usage (browser is last with 3%).

Big Cam

Reaction score
I like messing with the colors on battery left, plus you decide when to ahve it turn to the low color or medium color.

There is just so much customization, plus it gets better everyday becasue it's continuously learning.

OP
A

A.Brooks

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your suggestions / thoughts.

preinvent

Reaction score
battery apps also poll the battery, resources constantly, so they're an added drain (something to consider).

Quick note - technically, the Android API sends messages to the battery app saying when the battery level has changed, so a well written app won't drain the battery excessively. Saying that, it's more likely that the widget display or any graphics/calculations will drain the battery (spoken from experience!!)