bad screen? I just don't see it

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
So I've seen all these people complaining about the screen and honestly I just don't see it, could someone please post a picture, or a good explanation as to what exactly is wrong with the screen... it seems like people who are complaining are expecting a phone that has 1080p and 240hz refresh rate... wtf... I just don't see the problem. Like I've said maybe it's because I'm almost legally blind, maybe it's just because it's the biggest screen I've had... either way I'd like to actually SEE what this issue is.

please

found this, guess if you look really really really close you can see it... http://www.anandtech.com/show/4761/motorola-droid-bionic-preview one of the pictures shows the screen in a macro shot. what a deal breaker right >_>

Last edited:

Crazed_Z06

Reaction score
So I've seen all these people complaining about the screen and honestly I just don't see it, could someone please post a picture, or a good explanation as to what exactly is wrong with the screen... it seems like people who are complaining are expecting a phone that has 1080p and 240hz refresh rate... wtf... I just don't see the problem. Like I've said maybe it's because I'm almost legally blind, maybe it's just because it's the biggest screen I've had... either way I'd like to actually SEE what this issue is.

please

They're complaining about the pixelation you can sometimes see due to the pentile display. I understand what they're saying, but I dont find it that big of deal. In fact, I fine the screen to be extremely bright and sharp. Everyone who Ive let use my Bionic has commented on how sharp the display is.

But if you want to see what people are crying about, take the phone and hold it about 2 inches from your face and focus on the green battery icon.

OP
liftedplane

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
wow really? guess I'm glad I hold my phone farther than 2 inches from my face... guess we are lucky they didn't install a crt in this thing... that might be really pixelated and a bit thicker.

mach330

Reaction score
if it doesn't exist, then people wouldn't be talking about it. the pixelization is there. it's just up to the individual if it bothers them. for me i hated it at first. especially after paying $300 for this phone i did not want to see that pixelization. if it meant making the battery that much better, i could probably bare with that. but i didn't notice the battery that much better as compared with my dinc (which battery really sucked). I know..apples vs orange (3g vs 4g). i think i would rather have shorter battery than a screen like this. however, the last couple of days, it hasn't bother me as much. i still see it. for those times, i seriously think about returning it. i have til fri to see if it truly does bother me. i really don't want to return the phone just because of the screen. but it's the one thing you look at all the time so it's pretty significant.

holjes

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the tip of looking at the battery icon. That's the first time I have ever been able to see what people were talking about. I think the screen looks awesome but nice to be able to finally see what all the hubbub was about.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
It has to do with a grainy effect with certain colors. Primarily blue and green. It is pretty noticeable. Does it bother me? Not really, but it is there.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Abadus

Reaction score
I only noticed it on whites and greys. Pictures with a lot of color I did not notice. i only really noticed when I was looking for it so I think I will be more than happy wen i get mine next month :D

Renae

Reaction score
I notice it mainly with bright greens. Honestly I defended the phone in the beginning, but now I don't know how anyone can't see it on greens, its really bad. But I like the phone for the most part so I put up with it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

ice456789

Reaction score
Just posted this in another thread, but it should help you understand my dilemma with the screen.

The pentile screen is great for reading outdoors. Unfortunately I am one of the people who doesn't just see the pixels but is very frustrated by them. It is very evident when looking at photos I've taken, and even more evident when watching video. For instance just to try it out I decided to watch Suckerpunch. Wow, if you guys aren't bothered by pixelation in that then you are truly blessed and I'm happy for you. It ruins it for me. By the way, pixelation isn't exactly the right term. Put it this way: on my OG droid when I look at the dark grey portions of a cloud in a pic I took, it's made of a bunch of gray pixels. On this pentile screen, to make the gray it's a green pixel next to a purple pixel next to a green pixel and so on. I can see it when I hold the phone at arm's length, I'm not sitting there with a magnifying glass looking for problems.

For example... look at this painting.
A-Sunday-Afternoon-on-MEDIUM.jpg

Most people see a nice park setting. I (and a percentage of people) see a bunch of dots of different colors next to each other. For instance the leaves of the tree appear green, but there are yellow, blue, red, black, white, and many other color dots to make it green. It helps me appreciate how much work went into the painting, but for a phone screen it is annoying. That's the best way I can describe what I see.

BTW, I'm also frustrated with DLP TV's. I see the rainbow effect in them. I wonder if other people who dislike the pentile screen also have problems with DLP's.

OP
liftedplane

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Just posted this in another thread, but it should help you understand my dilemma with the screen.

The pentile screen is great for reading outdoors. Unfortunately I am one of the people who doesn't just see the pixels but is very frustrated by them. It is very evident when looking at photos I've taken, and even more evident when watching video. For instance just to try it out I decided to watch Suckerpunch. Wow, if you guys aren't bothered by pixelation in that then you are truly blessed and I'm happy for you. It ruins it for me. By the way, pixelation isn't exactly the right term. Put it this way: on my OG droid when I look at the dark grey portions of a cloud in a pic I took, it's made of a bunch of gray pixels. On this pentile screen, to make the gray it's a green pixel next to a purple pixel next to a green pixel and so on. I can see it when I hold the phone at arm's length, I'm not sitting there with a magnifying glass looking for problems.

For example... look at this painting.
A-Sunday-Afternoon-on-MEDIUM.jpg

Most people see a nice park setting. I (and a percentage of people) see a bunch of dots of different colors next to each other. For instance the leaves of the tree appear green, but there are yellow, blue, red, black, white, and many other color dots to make it green. It helps me appreciate how much work went into the painting, but for a phone screen it is annoying. That's the best way I can describe what I see.

BTW, I'm also frustrated with DLP TV's. I see the rainbow effect in them. I wonder if other people who dislike the pentile screen also have problems with DLP's.

Thank you finally someone explains what they are seeing instead of just I don't like it good explanation and i'm honestly glad it doesn't bother me

Sent from my ROOTED DROID BIONIC using DROID forums!

yiannis

Reaction score
Look at it off angle in the portrait orientation and see the vertical seems, the changing colors and the green pattern. Look at deep blues for posterization. It's not a good screen, but it's not a flaw I cannot live with. Battery on the other hand...

ice456789

Reaction score
Thank you finally someone explains what they are seeing instead of just I don't like it good explanation and i'm honestly glad it doesn't bother me

Sent from my ROOTED DROID BIONIC using DROID forums!
Yeah if you don't see it, then the Pentile screen is probably great for you. Good contrast, good for the battery, and great in sunlight. That's why this is a love it/hate it screen.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score