Back Light broke.... Any way to do a FDR?

streetmike

Reaction score
So Yesterday my back light on the Maxx decided to not work. It was sitting on my desk and when I came back from working out, it wouln't turn on. The navigation buttons lit up and I could feel the phone vibrate when I was motioning the slide to unlock, but the screen wouldn't come on. Or I should say it came on really really really dim for literally a split second. Blink and you missed it. Anyways I called Big Red and they are overnighting me a replacement. Just wondering if there is a way to get return it to stock via a usb cable? The Maxx is stock. I just don't want to return the phone with all my data and such saved on it.

Thanks,
Mike

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
You should be able to plug into usb and if it is already set on mass storage mode, you are all set. You will be able to get to your internal and external SD storage to save to your PC what you need (I always save the entire contents just in case).

To do a fdr, hopefully you can do that from the recovery menu. With phone off, press and hold all three volume +, volume- and power buttons. Do you see the screen to select recovery. If not, we should be able to help you determined the number of hits to volume and power buttons to complete your fdr.

Keep us posted.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

OP
streetmike

streetmike

Reaction score
Thanks, Already copied over everything that was in shown last night.

Problem is the screen is completely black. Only thing that helps is the vibrations. So yea if you or someone can walk me through the exact button presses that would be awesome. Still a little worried on doing it blind though.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Ok, I will go through the exact phone presses soon and write up a step by step for you... need to grab about a half an hour without interruptions.

OP
streetmike

streetmike

Reaction score
Thanks!

I just thought of something though. I can probably just use the new one and do it side by side with each other before I send the broken one back. I will keep you updated though if I run into any issues.

OP
streetmike

streetmike

Reaction score
Ok... I was able to do it! Just did the new one and the old side by side and I think it worked. When I plugged it into the computer the only thing that popped up was the motocast. Thanks TisMyDroid!

Oh... The replacement Maxx has a bad SD/Sim card door. Its really loose and I am afraid after a month naked (if I decide to go naked and not use the otterbox), it might not stay shut. So VZW is sending another... At least I get a phone that works right now!

YellowJacket

Reaction score
you can also try shining a flashlight on the screen. Should give you enough reflected illumination to do what you need to.

David

OP
streetmike

streetmike

Reaction score
The Flashlight didn't work, But I was able to do it anyways by using both another razr and following the button presses exactly.

So I got the 2nd replacement Friday. It works great MINUS THAT UGLY GREEN STUCK PIXEL... :mad:

Man, It bugs me but I wonder if they will do anything. Its annoying. I might call later and see what they say.