Need Help Fast ... Unable to See Screen on Maxx

diablo316

Reaction score
Let me start by saying that I JUST received this Maxx replacement phone on Tuesday (see my prior post as to why I had to get my original Maxx replaced after a month). Finally got everything backed up and replaced on my phone. Been working fine for 2 days. Last night, as my battery was getting low, the Smart Actions popped up with a "battery extender" suggestion. I set it for 20% and okayed it. My battery was around 30% at the time. A few minutes later, my screen went black. I could still see my notification bar, but nothing on screen. I just figured this was what the smart action was doing so I powered off my phone and charged overnight. Turned my phone on this morning, unlocked it and saw my wallpaper for a split second before my screen went dark. I received notifications that texts had come in and I had e-mails and am able to pull down the notification screen, but screen is still black and I cannot even faintly see any icons or anything. I called my phone and the ringtone came on, but no notification on screen where the call was coming from, except in the notification bar. I held the home screen button just to make sure the screen works ... and, sure enough, it brought up my most recent applications. However, once I click out of that, screen is still completely black and I cannot interact with it. I just got off the phone with Verizon AND Motorola ... Verizon didn't think it was the smart action since it should only be "dimming" the screen and ONLY be "dimming" the screen when the battery life is low. So we tried a soft reset and same thing happened - once unlocked, back to the dark screen. She then got a rep from Motorola on the line ... she had not heard of this problem and said I would need to send my phone in. She said even a factory reset could not work since I cannot see anything on my screen. So ... anybody have any recommendations/suggestions on how I can access my phone?? I am really frustrated that I've already replaced one Maxx and now this after having the replacement for 2 days!!
Sorry for the length but wanted to make sure I had enough info.
Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

SallyC

Reaction score
Sorry, this sounds like a real dilemma. If someone knows the menus well enough to tell you how many clicks you need to do, the method below is a way to do the reset using external keys. But I've never gone through the process and don't really want to do a FR to map out the clicks.

Perform a factory reset using external keys
Note: It is highly recommended you use the above factory reset using the settings. If you are unable to navigate through the menu to perform a factory data reset, you can follow the steps outlined below:
  1. Power up the phone by pressing the VOL UP + VOL DOWN KEY together + PWR KEY .
  2. The device will enumerate with different BOOT OPTIONS
  3. Use the VOL DOWN Key to SCROLL and VOL UP Key to SELECT
  4. Select Recovery
  5. The device will start up with Motorola logo and power up to a little Android man logo with Exclamation mark
  6. Press the VOL UP and VOL DOWN Key together at this screen
  7. The device will display BLUE Text on a Black background .
  8. Use the VOL DOWN Key to scroll DOWN and the PWR Key to SELECT the option desired .
  9. In this case , press the VOL DOWN key till the Wipe data / factory reset is selected and press the PWR key to confirm the selection .
  10. Use the VOL DOWN key again to select YES - delete all user data and press the PWR key to CONFIRM .
  11. The device will then start performing the Factory Data Reset
  12. Once the Formatting is complete , press the PWR key to confirm a REBOOT
  13. The message rebooting is displayed on the phone.
  14. The device will reboot and start the normal power up sequence .

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Sorry, this sounds like a real dilemma. If someone knows the menus well enough to tell you how many clicks you need to do, the method below is a way to do the reset using external keys. But I've never gone through the process and don't really want to do a FR to map out the clicks.

Perform a factory reset using external keys
Note: It is highly recommended you use the above factory reset using the settings. If you are unable to navigate through the menu to perform a factory data reset, you can follow the steps outlined below:
  1. Power up the phone by pressing the VOL UP + VOL DOWN KEY together + PWR KEY .
  2. The device will enumerate with different BOOT OPTIONS
  3. Use the VOL DOWN Key to SCROLL and VOL UP Key to SELECT
  4. Select Recovery
  5. The device will start up with Motorola logo and power up to a little Android man logo with Exclamation mark
  6. Press the VOL UP and VOL DOWN Key together at this screen
  7. The device will display BLUE Text on a Black background .
  8. Use the VOL DOWN Key to scroll DOWN and the PWR Key to SELECT the option desired .
  9. In this case , press the VOL DOWN key (3 clicks) till the Wipe data / factory reset is selected and press the PWR key to confirm the selection .
  10. Use the VOL DOWN key again to select YES - delete all user data and press the PWR key to CONFIRM .
  11. The device will then start performing the Factory Data Reset
  12. Once the Formatting is complete , press the PWR key to confirm a REBOOT
  13. The message rebooting is displayed on the phone.
  14. The device will reboot and start the normal power up sequence .

SallyC is correct, the above procedures will allow you to Factory reset. The sequence would be as follows:

First, assuming you don't get to see the power menu, I want you to go and get a piece of paper and cut it to the length of the glass on the screen (top to bottom).
Then, carefully fold the paper into thirds, so that when you open it back up you have 2 fold lines at the one-third and two-thirds spots on the paper.
Next, press the power button briefly to wake the phone.
Then power down the phone by press and holding the power button for 2 seconds and releasing.
If you see the power menu, skip the steps below and simply select "Power off".
If you don't see the menu, then carefully lay the paper right next to the phone and line the tops and bottoms up to the tops and bottoms of the glass, then touch the glass in the middle of the screen where the lower fold line is which is at one-third up from the bottom.

If done right, your phone should power down and you'll know if it works because it will vibrate briefly at about 5 seconds, and then you'll wait at least another 5 seconds or so and it will be completely off.

Now follow all of SallyC's instructions above. You should get the screen once you press the three buttons together so navigating from there should be easy. One note, steps 3 & 4, when you press the VOL DOWN, don't press VOL UP unless you are looking at the word "Recovery" highlighted in White. If you happen to scroll down past it, keep scrolling down and eventually it will start back at the top. This is important since in this menu, the VOL UP is actually the SELECT key, NOT the SCROLL UP key as you might assume. In other menus the POWER key is the SELECT key and in those menus the VOLUME UP actually DOES SCROLL UP.

Last edited:

SallyC

Reaction score
Ohhh, FoxKat, love the paper trick. Great thinking!!!:hail:

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
FoxKat is SUPER moderator! Emphases on SUPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!:icon_ banana:dancedroidDancingNexus:icon_ lala:

naknak95

Reaction score
Turn off your phone. Hold power and as the boot animation comes up, keep pressing volume up/down. This will boot you into safe mode. From here, you could factory reset the phone and it should work.

I had to do this the other day because some lockscreen app crashed my phone. Hope this helps :biggrin:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Turn off your phone. Hold power and as the boot animation comes up, keep pressing volume up/down. This will boot you into safe mode. From here, you could factory reset the phone and it should work.

I had to do this the other day because some lockscreen app crashed my phone. Hope this helps :biggrin:

I agree that Safe mode (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-support/200128-accessing-safe-mode-your-razr.html) can get you back to a usable OS void of the user-installed apps causing conflicts. I don't recall if the user has tried this or not, so thanks for the reminder.