Average battery life?

doogald

Reaction score
I just got mine and it was also 60% charged. I started using it right away and didn't fully charge it. The salesperson never told me that it needed to be fully charged before first use. I even said to her that it has enough charge and I can use it right away and she said yep.

What does not fully charging it do to the phone?

Nothing. You'll be fine.

Also, is it bad to use it when it's charging?

Maybe, but only in one case: if you have it pugged in to a charger that supplies too little current, you could have a situation where the battery is draining faster than the power can supply it. I've seen cases on other phones (plugged in to a USB port that supplies a small level of current) where the phone was actually draining faster than it would have if it wasn't plugged in. The battery pack was at a low charge and the circuitry was set to supply a lot of voltage to the battery pack to charge it faster when it was below 15%. This was a phone from several years ago, and I'm not sure if the Maxx would suffer from this.

Still, batteries do not like being overheated - it tends to wear them out faster - and if you are charging your phone while using it in a high power situation - say, while navigating in the car and plugging in to charge - that might be bad for the battery pack. In that case it would probably be better to navigate on battery and then plug in later to charge it. But, if you are on a trip of several hours and the battery would drain too much, you may have no choice.

Again, I believe that over a 2 year period with a battery of this size in the Maxx, you should be fine.

And lastly, is it bad to charge when there's 50% charge left for example?

No, that's fine. I believe that Li-ion battery packs actually do better with small charges like that rather than persistent deep drains and deep charge cycles.

I suggest this: plug the phone in while you sleep. If you are worried about battery life, and you don't need the phone to be powered on while you are sleeping, power off and then plug in to charge. When you wake up unplug and power back on. Repeat when you go to bed again.

BlueLions81

Reaction score
The last time I turned on my phone about an hour ago, I played some games and the battery was at 96%. I turned it on just now and the battery says 99%. I wasn't charging it either. How come it went up like that (not that there is anything wrong with that)?

JP 5.56

Reaction score
About to go throw it on the charger because I have a road trip to make tomorrow morning and want to start with a full charge.

aby6any6.jpg

TatDroid

Reaction score
About to go throw it on the charger because I have a road trip to make tomorrow morning and want to start with a full charge.
With screen usage at just 7% I'm guessing you've used it very little in the last 3 days. An hour or two of screen on time at most? Screen time is the great equalizer. My phone will last 6 hours or so with constant screen on - but WELL over 24 hours with an hour or less of screen time. (you really need to post both figures to give a good battery endurance indication)

phontek642

Reaction score
Here is a screen shot of my useage. At least 3GB of download 5 hours of Sirius XM over bluetooth actually an average day for me

ForumRunner_20131022_100743.png

OP
jackiescivic

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had this happen? I did not charge the phone, but as you can see, there are spikes in the graph, as if it was on a charger.

Sent from my Droid Maxx

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1382455673272.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1382455673272.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 183

JP 5.56

Reaction score
With screen usage at just 7% I'm guessing you've used it very little in the last 3 days. An hour or two of screen on time at most? Screen time is the great equalizer. My phone will last 6 hours or so with constant screen on - but WELL over 24 hours with an hour or less of screen time. (you really need to post both figures to give a good battery endurance indication)

It's just my normal use. Checking emails, twitter, Facebook, phone calls, texts etc. It also had about 12 hours of Google Music going to my BT headphones. I don't NEED to post anything other than my normal usage.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Has anyone had this happen? I did not charge the phone, but as you can see, there are spikes in the graph, as if it was on a charger.

Sent from my Droid Maxx

My best guess would be that the battery meter is still in its learning stage. A change in voltage, temperature and it's still trying to figure out the state of charge. Have you done the meter calibration exercise?

Sent from my DUM phone using Droid Forums

BlueLions81

Reaction score
I decided to compare the battery of my old Bionic and my new Maxx. The Bionic battery is an extended battery - 2700. The battery display on the Bionic drops by 10s, so I kept going until the Bionic dropped to 90 percent. Both were fully charged. The screen brightness was all the way up on both phones. I played the same game for the same amount of time. The overall time is 2hrs 28 min for both. The screen time on for both is around 17 min. My Maxx is at 96% and my Bionic is at 90%.

TatDroid

Reaction score
It's just my normal use. Checking emails, twitter, Facebook, phone calls, texts etc. It also had about 12 hours of Google Music going to my BT headphones. I don't NEED to post anything other than my normal usage.
No problem. You certainly don't need to post anything you don't want to! Your "normal use" is known to you so you know exactly what you meant (not so much to others of us, though). "Screen on time" is a measurement others use to compare how one person's use compares to another. Total phone time on battery tells one half of the story. Screen time fills in the other half.

And BTW, my comment was NOT directed to you alone. It was meant to remind people that posting a screen shot showing total time on battery is most helpful when screen on time is also given.

doogald

Reaction score

aby6any6.jpg

So, you plugged in at about 37 hours until about 90% charge? That's pretty close to what I get when I'm on LTE most of the time; when I'm on WiFi most of the time, I would get 42 to 50 hours if I didn't plug it in when I went to bed. (Probably longer, actually, as I'd use only about 1% per hour while sleeping.)