Average battery life?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid MAXX' started by jackiescivic, Oct 8, 2013.

1. jackiescivic

jackiescivic Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +952
    My coworker has the feather case because my company was giving it away with the purchase of the Maxx HD months ago. I'd consider that case because it is much less bulky than an Otterbox, but the color choices suck! I gotta stick with purple lol. Got one of my cases today, now I just need the damn phone!

2. phontek642

phontek642 New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    There is a purple otter box you can get it on eBay for about $30 color is actually called "lily"

• Like Like x 1
  3. rockyshor

rockyshor New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Droid Maxx 1st 48 hours -> 26% charge left

After I activated the Droid Maxx last week, there was 26% charge remaining after the first 48 hours of use. I would say usage was light, because I didn't have a lot of time to activate or use the new featuers. Probably the largest use was 4 - 5 hours of driving with navigation in use most of the time. I was very pleased with that.:D

4. jackiescivic

Ratings:
    +952
    The phone arrived with 61% battery. Even after activation, Motorola Migrate, downloading apps, playing with settings, etc, I'm still at 40% after just shy of 5 hours and screen on time at 1hr 35 minutes. I have a feeling I will be quite happy with this phone :)

Sent from my Droid Maxx

5. lloydstrans

lloydstrans Banned

Ratings:
    +6,000
    Tsk tsk tsk for not fully charging it as per instructions. Don't feel bad mine came similar. Do do a full cycle soon. Be fore warned. Charging takes time as does discharging it to 10%. First impressions?

Sent from my DUM phone using Droid Forums

6. BlueLions81

BlueLions81 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just got mine and it was also 60% charged. I started using it right away and didn't fully charge it. The salesperson never told me that it needed to be fully charged before first use. I even said to her that it has enough charge and I can use it right away and she said yep.

What does not fully charging it do to the phone?

Also, is it bad to use it when it's charging?

And lastly, is it bad to charge when there's 50% charge left for example?

Thanks in advance.

7. doogald

doogald Active Member

Ratings:
    +42
    Nothing. You'll be fine.

Maybe, but only in one case: if you have it pugged in to a charger that supplies too little current, you could have a situation where the battery is draining faster than the power can supply it. I've seen cases on other phones (plugged in to a USB port that supplies a small level of current) where the phone was actually draining faster than it would have if it wasn't plugged in. The battery pack was at a low charge and the circuitry was set to supply a lot of voltage to the battery pack to charge it faster when it was below 15%. This was a phone from several years ago, and I'm not sure if the Maxx would suffer from this.

Still, batteries do not like being overheated - it tends to wear them out faster - and if you are charging your phone while using it in a high power situation - say, while navigating in the car and plugging in to charge - that might be bad for the battery pack. In that case it would probably be better to navigate on battery and then plug in later to charge it. But, if you are on a trip of several hours and the battery would drain too much, you may have no choice.

Again, I believe that over a 2 year period with a battery of this size in the Maxx, you should be fine.

No, that's fine. I believe that Li-ion battery packs actually do better with small charges like that rather than persistent deep drains and deep charge cycles.

I suggest this: plug the phone in while you sleep. If you are worried about battery life, and you don't need the phone to be powered on while you are sleeping, power off and then plug in to charge. When you wake up unplug and power back on. Repeat when you go to bed again.

8. BlueLions81

BlueLions81 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The last time I turned on my phone about an hour ago, I played some games and the battery was at 96%. I turned it on just now and the battery says 99%. I wasn't charging it either. How come it went up like that (not that there is anything wrong with that)?

9. JP 5.56

JP 5.56 Member

Ratings:
    +10
    About to go throw it on the charger because I have a road trip to make tomorrow morning and want to start with a full charge.

[​IMG]

10. TatDroid

TatDroid Active Member

Ratings:
    +199
    With screen usage at just 7% I'm guessing you've used it very little in the last 3 days. An hour or two of screen on time at most? Screen time is the great equalizer. My phone will last 6 hours or so with constant screen on - but WELL over 24 hours with an hour or less of screen time. (you really need to post both figures to give a good battery endurance indication)

11. phontek642

phontek642 New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Here is a screen shot of my useage. At least 3GB of download 5 hours of Sirius XM over bluetooth actually an average day for me

ForumRunner_20131022_100743.png

12. jackiescivic

Ratings:
    +952
    Has anyone had this happen? I did not charge the phone, but as you can see, there are spikes in the graph, as if it was on a charger.

Sent from my Droid Maxx

Attached Files:

Search tags for this page

average battery life

average battery life of droid razr

droid maxx average screen-ontime

droid maxx sirius battery life

moto x battery