How well do you like the maxx? Considering buying one.

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid MAXX' started by derekeh83, Nov 9, 2013.

1. derekeh83

derekeh83 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well I just ordered a maxx so I can give it a try. I'm looking for a case to order now. I usually get the slimmest case I can find so if anyone has a suggestion I'd appreciate it. I know its kind of slim pickings! Even though Im going to order a case, I may end up going caseless. The phone felt durable enough to me at the store and I had good luck with my previous Motorola phones (droid 2, 3, x) with no case. They each took a few drops but the material showed little to no scratches. So has anyone gone careless a while and had luck with this phone? Thanks!

2. Garemlin

Garemlin Developer Relations

Ratings:
    +352
    Current Phone Model:
    LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2

The Incipio Feather is a good slim case that doesn't add bulk but still offers protection from wear and tear. Don"t think it would do much for a serious drop. But if you are careful with your devices there should be no problems.

3. TheOldFart

TheOldFart Active Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Check the discussion on cases for the Maxx about 10 threads down.

4. FoxKat

FoxKat Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,782
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo, and Nexus 6!
    The best radios and antennas combination out there, bar none... Motorola.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  5. Garemlin

Garemlin Developer Relations

Ratings:
    +352
    Current Phone Model:
    LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
    Hate to admit it but I'm getting almost as good reception with my G2 as I have with all of my Moto devices. And I am in a fringe area.

Tap'd from my G2

• Like Like x 1
  6. doogald

doogald Active Member

Ratings:
    +41
    If you long-press WiFi or Bluetooth on the settings panel of the pull-down notification shade they will toggle without having to go into settings.

Everybody's needs are different, so it's hard to say which is the best phone at any given time, but I agree that the Maxx is a great phone. I love it.

• Like Like x 3
  7. bkdodger

bkdodger Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,741
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6
    If Diztronic makes one I'd take a look ...I have the black matte for my Note 3 ..great feel and slim ..

N3 tapa

8. jackiescivic

jackiescivic Gold Member

Ratings:
    +821
    Thanks for the tip on long press! I miss the settings menu on the left most screen like the previous generation had.

Sent from my Droid Maxx

9. unbesorgt

unbesorgt Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Android Pro Widgets has a full-size calendar widget that I really like. It even syncs to Google Calendar. The free version comes in white and a transparent dark grey, or you can buy the full version for $2.50 to get access to tons of themes. Also comes with matching Twitter, Facebook, Bookmarks, and Contacts widgets. Great app to have.

If you go with the full version I recommend the 192 Black Edition theme. Here's how mine looks:

Screenshot_2013-11-10-14-20-31.png

10. unbesorgt

unbesorgt Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I have the Diztronic TPU case in matte black for my Droid Maxx and I love it. It's even better made than the previous versions (at least the Bionic version that I had). And only $10 at Amazon.

• Like Like x 1
  11. bkdodger

bkdodger Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,741
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6
    Awesome...I think it's better than my previous Gnex one as well ..

N3 tapa

12. FoxKat

FoxKat Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,782
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo, and Nexus 6!
    You know, I'm not totally surprised. I wonder however if the physical size of the G2 and therefore the potential for a larger antenna footprint has anything to do with that. It's interesting but in some cases a better engineered smaller antenna can actually have a higher DB gain than a less well-engineered larger antenna.

In the case of antennas, they are a strange world of theory which has more to do with algorithms and less to do with practicality in application that often is quite a shocker. To quote the article below, designing an antenna is "an imprecise process, starting with the desired properties and then determining the antenna's shape through "guesses.... intuition, experience, approximate equations or empirical studies". Here's an example;

Antenna.JPG

In that example, the antenna is so strangely shaped it would be expected to perform very poorly, however it turned out to be perhaps the most efficient, perfectly hemispherical radiating pattern of signal, and with the best signal to waveform ratio (most efficient radiation and dispersion of transmission power generated out the antenna and lowest bounce-back of non-radiated power to the final transistors), imaginable.

Antenna designers are very highly paid engineers and they often get paid far more for their intuitiveness and extreme thinking than they do for text-book knowledge. In that world, the self-taught amateur can actually be lucky enough to be more successful than the academically proficient.

Here's another example;

http://ve3mpg.blogspot.com/2008/11/unconventional-antennas-from-nasa-labs.html

And a couple more, including one crazy one that looks somewhat like a dead spider on its back with 8 legs going in all directions!

http://idesign.ucsc.edu/projects/evo_antenna.html

So then Cell Phone manufacturers have to try to do as good a job of designing antennas, often flat traces on plastic, or thin wires that run all manner of directions inside the case, and make them all fit into the same space without interfering with each other. It's really a daunting task...Cellular antenna(s), Bluetooth antenna, WIFI antenna, NFC antenna, what's next?

Given that Motorola has long been a military and defense contractor, and has been the mainstay of the communications for our troops for decades, it makes sense they might have a better handle on making radio communications devices that are compact, powerful and efficient, and that the antennas - most importantly on the portable radios used on the battlefield are both very efficient and also very small and yet durable.

Edit: Just found this...talk about taking it to the next level!!

http://www.livescience.com/5926-bendable-antennas-reshape-electronics.html

Search tags for this page
cant decide lg g2 or droid maxx

droid maxx vs lg g2

htc one vs droid maxx#gsc.tab

lg g2 vs droid maxx

lg g2 vs droid maxx battery
lg g2 vs droid maxx battery life
lg g2 vs maxx
lg intuition roms
motorola droid maxx star 228
note 3 vs droid maxx antenna