How well do you like the maxx? Considering buying one.

derekeh83

Reaction score
I currently have an s4 and am so fed up with its reception and WiFi issues that I'm considering buying a maxx. I've owned Motorola's in the past and they've been nice phones that had good signal and were built tough enough that I didn't use a case. So how's the reception on this phone? And how does battery life compare to the s4? I'm lucky to make half a day with my s4 but I do have spare batteries and a huge zero lemon battery for backup. I realize the maxx cannot interchange batteries but I'm thinking with its bigger size I'd be fine. How is the screen in sunlight? How well do you like active notifications versus led notifications? Are there any major issues with this phone? I've read plenty of reviews on this phone and they all seem to contradict so I want answers from real users. Thanks.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I had a Maxx and an LG G2 that I was comparing while trying to decide which one to keep. Motorola has always had the best reception for me living in a fringe area. Battery life was outstanding. I opted for G2 for no other reason that I loved the screen and I just wanted something new.

If you want to see some specifics on battery life and reception for the Maxx take a read at this thread I started. A little review of the Droid Maxx vs the LG G2

JP 5.56

Reaction score
I have the GS4 at work and the Maxx for a personal device. The Samsung is supposed to have a better screen but I really can't tell the difference.

As far as the batteries go: I charge the GS4 3 to 4 times for every one charge on the Maxx. The Maxx gets 3 to 4 times more use.

Active notifications are awesome.

Call clarity and signal is what I expect from a moto phone: solid.

I don't think you would be disappointed with one.

donzz

Reaction score
You can't get a better phone than the Maxx. (IMO) However, if you are the type of user that needs a lot of accessories, look elsewhere.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Me too!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

TheOldFart

Reaction score
My wife just got the Maxx last week. I set it up for her and have been impressed with the battery life and the phone overall. I like it better than my HTC One. Two things that I like better on my One are the slightly smaller size and the pull down settings menu. On the One I can turn on and off wifi, BT, etc from the pull down menu, but with the Maxx I have to go to the settings first. Not a biggie. Both my wife and I can see the slightly better sharpness on the One, but it's not enough for everyday use. I think that the Maxx is the best phone on Verizon right now. I would have bought it except that when I got my One in September, it was $250 less than the Maxx. I like both better than the others, but the Maxx is a little better IMO.

cybertj.2000

Reaction score
My wife just got the Maxx last week. I set it up for her and have been impressed with the battery life and the phone overall. I like it better than my HTC One. Two things that I like better on my One are the slightly smaller size and the pull down settings menu. On the One I can turn on and off wifi, BT, etc from the pull down menu, but with the Maxx I have to go to the settings first. Not a biggie. Both my wife and I can see the slightly better sharpness on the One, but it's not enough for everyday use. I think that the Maxx is the best phone on Verizon right now. I would have bought it except that when I got my One in September, it was $250 less than the Maxx. I like both better than the others, but the Maxx is a little better IMO.

First off, I love my Droid Maxx!!

As for the pull down menu issue, there is an app called Notification Toggle that lets you do that exact function and you can customize which ones you want to toggle!!!

That was one thing I wanted in my phone and I've used it for the last two phones.

USAFgunner

Reaction score
I just got it today, figured Motorola would have finally put a full size calendar widget on the phone. I hate that I can't customize screen views...for example when I go to a contact group it shows giant tiles that I have to scroll through with no menu option to give a list view. It really doesn't seem like Motorola had moved very far from my droid x...I do like the circles widget and the better interaction with Google now.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

TheOldFart

Reaction score
First off, I love my Droid Maxx!!

As for the pull down menu issue, there is an app called Notification Toggle that lets you do that exact function and you can customize which ones you want to toggle!!!

That was one thing I wanted in my phone and I've used it for the last two phones.

Thanks. I just installed it and it seems to work great. I might even want it on my One.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
If you want a solid phone MaXX is a great choice...I test drove the Maxx HD last year and I was impressed with everything I threw it...Peeps here definitely love that phone for a good reason...
It seems that those in fringe areas need to get to Moto mostly....Good Luck and keep us posted ...

OP
D

derekeh83

Reaction score
Well I just ordered a maxx so I can give it a try. I'm looking for a case to order now. I usually get the slimmest case I can find so if anyone has a suggestion I'd appreciate it. I know its kind of slim pickings! Even though Im going to order a case, I may end up going caseless. The phone felt durable enough to me at the store and I had good luck with my previous Motorola phones (droid 2, 3, x) with no case. They each took a few drops but the material showed little to no scratches. So has anyone gone careless a while and had luck with this phone? Thanks!

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Well I just ordered a maxx so I can give it a try. I'm looking for a case to order now. I usually get the slimmest case I can find so if anyone has a suggestion I'd appreciate it. I know its kind of slim pickings! Even though Im going to order a case, I may end up going caseless. The phone felt durable enough to me at the store and I had good luck with my previous Motorola phones (droid 2, 3, x) with no case. They each took a few drops but the material showed little to no scratches. So has anyone gone careless a while and had luck with this phone? Thanks!

The Incipio Feather is a good slim case that doesn't add bulk but still offers protection from wear and tear. Don"t think it would do much for a serious drop. But if you are careful with your devices there should be no problems.