Average battery life?

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I posted this in the X forum as well.

I currently have the Maxx HD and am trying to decide between the Maxx and the X. The Maxx is just huge to me, and I have small hands, but I have been absolutely spoiled with the battery life on both versions of the Maxx I have owned. I'm curious how you all fair throughout the day. I consider myself an average to heavy user, but I do not stream video. I will listen to Pandora about an hour/day, Facebook A LOT, email, text, rarely talk on the phone, a little browsing here and there.
So, what say you?

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Droid MAXX. No battery complaints here. 2 days plus. Moderate user.

Sent from my DUM phone using Droid Forums

Reiles

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
If you have no issues with the charge every night routine, the Moto X is a better choice.

More flexible OS (EDIT: I find more apps made for the 4.7" screen vs. the 5.0" screen),
More Accessories,
More likely to have custom tailored root capability.

I needed a big battery in my life.

My charge will last about 2 full days with about 2.5 hours of 256Kbs music streaming each day, plenty of SMS and web browsing. I have heard that the Moto X's battery will last you 1 day of this type of use no problem. Just don't forget to charge overnight.

OP
jackiescivic

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I already charge my phone every night anyway, and typically I'm at about 60% by 11pm.
I don't really care about rooting but the accessories is a big thing to me, and silly as it may be, is one of the reasons I was considering the X over the Maxx.

doogald

Reaction score
I generally have about 2 to 2.5 hours screen time in a 17 hour day. Most of the time I'm in WiFi. I end most days at about 60% battery. THe apps that I use the most are GMail, Plume, Feedly, Tapatalk, Facebook (not much), Google+, and I have Pocketcasts downloading podcasts in the background, though I'm still not using the Maxx for podcast listening (long story.) I also rarely talk on the phone, though I do have a few phone calls a week, and text maybe 10 texts a day. (I don't think texting takes up much battery at all, except for the screen on time, of course.)

I had one day where I was in a very poor cell area for about 5 hours, and was navigating for about 90 minutes, all day off WiFi, and the battery finished up at 28%. Screen on time was heavy that day. That was my worst day for battery. I've had only two other days that finished below 50%, and, again, they were days when I was driving with navigation for at least part of the day.

So, my guesstimate of battery life is that my typical day, the Moto X would end up around 37% battery left. The 28% day would have had a dead Moto X about 2.5 hours before I went to bed (though, to be fair, I was driving much of the day, so I could have plugged it in.)

Anyway, based on what you say, I bet that you'll be fine with the X. Just know that, for now, unless you buy the dev edition, you're limited to 16 GB of storage, and only 11.9 available when you first activate it without any apps or data, and no external SD card storage. The Maxx has 32 GB storage, with about 23.9 available when you first activate it, also with no external SD card storage available. The developer edition, directly from Motorola with 32 GB storage, is $649, if you need the extra storage and you need the Moto X...

cjj2d

Reaction score
you cant beat the Maxx's battery. on first full charge i got 39 hours out of it with a good amount of use.

love the phone. I really like being able to go over a day with out plugging it in, even with a good amount of usage.

I do wish it had more acceseries

Mr.Rotorflyr

Reaction score
I haven't been using my Maxx long enough to give you an honest "average" but the first day I used it, turned it on at 9am, used it heavily all day. Lots of screen on time, wifi off/on, browsing both with 4g and wifi (more 4g though), played with usb tethering, playstore, txt, mms, some music streaming (again over 4g) used nav for a little over an hr, and a couple of actual phone calls, I ended the day around 9pm and didn't plug the phone in next morning battery was around 33%.

Next time after a full charge, with light use (4g web surfing, some txt/mms messaging and a couple of calls, played some music) ended the day around 83%

3rd charge similar to the second, but played around more with usb tethering (4g), didn't plug it in after getting home and am currently at 42%

My typical "day" is 16-18hrs

The Maxx as battery life is a big factor for me because there are plenty of day's where I'm away from a power outlet.

I am still within my return/exchange window, and if I decide to check out a different phone it will be the HTC One (I liked it better then the Moto X and it has more memory on board) but if you've settled on either the X and the Maxx and the accessories are the big thing, you might be better off with the X.

jfriend33

Reaction score
but if you've settled on either the X and the Maxx and the accessories are the big thing, you might be better off with the X.

Ain't that the truth. I guess after purchasing my phone I forgot it wasn't multi carrier. Very limited number of cases and such. But it's livable.

Sent from my XT1080m using Droid Forums

vance1980

Reaction score
I haven't been using my Maxx long enough to give you an honest "average" but the first day I used it, turned it on at 9am, used it heavily all day. Lots of screen on time, wifi off/on, browsing both with 4g and wifi (more 4g though), played with usb tethering, playstore, txt, mms, some music streaming (again over 4g) used nav for a little over an hr, and a couple of actual phone calls, I ended the day around 9pm and didn't plug the phone in next morning battery was around 33%.

Next time after a full charge, with light use (4g web surfing, some txt/mms messaging and a couple of calls, played some music) ended the day around 83%

3rd charge similar to the second, but played around more with usb tethering (4g), didn't plug it in after getting home and am currently at 42%

My typical "day" is 16-18hrs

The Maxx as battery life is a big factor for me because there are plenty of day's where I'm away from a power outlet.

I am still within my return/exchange window, and if I decide to check out a different phone it will be the HTC One (I liked it better then the Moto X and it has more memory on board) but if you've settled on either the X and the Maxx and the accessories are the big thing, you might be better off with the X.

I would doubt that all that you did would be considered an average day for many users. But I would be almost willing to bet the national debt that you would have less luck in terms of battery with the HTC one that you do with the maxx. Read most of the reviews the maxx is the best phone vzw has in terms of Android devices.

Mr.Rotorflyr

Reaction score
I would doubt that all that you did would be considered an average day for many users. But I would be almost willing to bet the national debt that you would have less luck in terms of battery with the HTC one that you do with the maxx. Read most of the reviews the maxx is the best phone vzw has in terms of Android devices.

I never claimed that what I've done with the phone was the same as what an average user would do and that wasn't the op's question anyway. I also wouldn't expect that the One would achieve near what the Maxx does, simply said it would be my personal choice over the X (and from what I've read it has a better battery then the X as well)

By the way after my previous post (where I was at 42%) I did some more surfing and sent a couple texts as well as checked e-mail and sent a few mms and am currently ready to plug in @ 12% left on the battery...showing a little over 2 days on battery since last charge.

*edit to add* All the surfing/messaging I did today was 3G with a less then stellar signal

vance1980

Reaction score
I never claimed that what I've done with the phone was the same as what an average user would do and that wasn't the op's question anyway. I also wouldn't expect that the One would achieve near what the Maxx does, simply said it would be my personal choice over the X (and from what I've read it has a better battery then the X as well)

By the way after my previous post (where I was at 42%) I did some more surfing and sent a couple texts as well as checked e-mail and sent a few mms and am currently ready to plug in @ 12% left on the battery...showing a little over 2 days on battery since last charge.

I can't imagine how you could ever in any way shape or firm taken the way I responded in a negative way. In just starting that after all that you said you did that day and needing to be around a charger why you would want anything other than a maxx. So if you don't want responses or can't take a simple discussion than why are you posting on a forum?

Mr.Rotorflyr

Reaction score
I didn't take what you said in a negative way, and as for why I might want something other then the Maxx (and haven't said I did) it would be the same reason people choose Any phone over another....Personal preference.

On the subject of charging....there is always the option of external battery packs/chargers including those built into cases...if one wanted to go that route.

OP
jackiescivic

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Alright you two, go to your corners and don't crap in my thread ;-)
Pretty sure I'm going with the Maxx, as that's all I've really known

Mr.Rotorflyr

Reaction score
Alright you two, go to your corners and don't crap in my thread ;-)
Pretty sure I'm going with the Maxx, as that's all I've really known

Apologies, had no intention of highjacking or craping in your thread :)

If you're set on Motorola's then the Maxx will serve you well, the battery life will be better then the X and as I understand it everything else should be the same.
Well not counting the size difference and ATT's "moto maker" program (and honestly, custom colors probably aren't a big deal as most people put cases on their phones anyway)

OP
jackiescivic

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Apologies, had no intention of highjacking or craping in your thread :)

If you're set on Motorola's then the Maxx will serve you well, the battery life will be better then the X and as I understand it everything else should be the same.
Well not counting the size difference and ATT's "moto maker" program (and honestly, custom colors probably aren't a big deal as most people put cases on their phones anyway)

No worries, I was teasing :)