Augen's 7" Android Tablet hits K-Mart stores this week for $149

bomber889

Reaction score
The website is a little vague.

GENTOUCH

I don't know. I kind of have a problem with a company that does not employ a copy reader/writer. Seems they should be professional enough to spell correctly and know how to use grammar.

Their main page for example: "GENTOUCH Tablet PC’s Powered by Android™ 2.1"

Sorry man, if you don't know the simple logical difference between PCs and PC's, then how could I trust you to know the simple logic in your programming to know how to properly use an IF > THEN > ELSE statement.

I'll pass. There'll be another Droid Tablet for the same price by a real company.

I certainly hope you're kidding. Basing your entire rant on a minor typographical error?

Usually having gramatical errors make a company look unprofessional. If they have errors in minute things like spelling, how do we know they do not have errors in their products?

DEdwards22

Reaction score
Well, the headline could read like a contraction to state that the Gentouch PC is powered by 2.1 and not a misprint for a plural. Also, isn't it acceptable to include an apostrophe when using a plural form of an acronym? Sure, there are no periods in there, but no company uses them to say 'PC'.

oozeeh

Reaction score
i'm not sure why we're talking about augen's website....but i'm sure microsoft website has ish loads of broken links, jacked to hell but it doesnt mean the company sucks. i mean, they have their OS on almost every other computer....

just because the webmaster was a lazy douche monkey, does it automatically make the person who designed it a douche monkey as well?

point is. can we talk about the gentouch78 instead?

debdroid1a

Reaction score
are there other similar dedicated android tablets floating around? the novel seems more dedicated to e-reader like the nook.

I think there are two Android tablet niches/markets or price points. Here is my reasoning (I hope it doesn't sound pretentious...I was taught to "lay out my assumptions"!):

$100 - $300 = Ereaders
$300 - $400 = netbooks
$400 - $500 = mainstream Android tablets???
$500 - $700 = IPad w/wifi
$700+ = notebooks

-Matt

PS So hey, I think I earned my screen name!

gadgetrants: great price breakdown. i think you nailed it right on the head. the cheapest android tablets from the major companies will be around $350ish IMO... and will go all the way up to $600-700. i personally can't wait to see some real high-quality tablets (albeit android, ubuntu, win7, WebOS, chromeOS, etc).

and i hope companies move to capacative screens. i don't understand how resistive screens are still mainstream

IMHO I do not agree with that price range for tablets.

For those like me who don't need the fancy stuff, a less expensive tablet is sufficient.

I bought a $300 netbook (was willing to go up to $400 for a 10" screen) because I didn't need all that a laptop or notebook provided.

Now I think having a variety of Android tablets at a variety of prices, similar to different Android phones, would be the best bet. We don't want to be like apple who doesn't give their fan base a choice.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I think there are two Android tablet niches/markets or price points. Here is my reasoning (I hope it doesn't sound pretentious...I was taught to "lay out my assumptions"!):

$100 - $300 = Ereaders
$300 - $400 = netbooks
$400 - $500 = mainstream Android tablets???
$500 - $700 = IPad w/wifi
$700+ = notebooks

-Matt

PS So hey, I think I earned my screen name!

gadgetrants: great price breakdown. i think you nailed it right on the head. the cheapest android tablets from the major companies will be around $350ish IMO... and will go all the way up to $600-700. i personally can't wait to see some real high-quality tablets (albeit android, ubuntu, win7, WebOS, chromeOS, etc).

and i hope companies move to capacative screens. i don't understand how resistive screens are still mainstream

IMHO I do not agree with that price range for tablets.

For those like me who don't need the fancy stuff, a less expensive tablet is sufficient.

I bought a $300 netbook (was willing to go up to $400 for a 10" screen) because I didn't need all that a laptop or notebook provided.

Now I think having a variety of Android tablets at a variety of prices, similar to different Android phones, would be the best bet. We don't want to be like apple who doesn't give their fan base a choice.
debdroid1a, two thoughts. First, I didn't mean to imply a narrow $100 range between Android tablets. Remember the netbook craze that hit about 2 years ago? I was basically suggesting that the price-point for the vanilla, entry-level tablets will come in a bit higher than the typical netbook. I agree with you that there will be tablets running from $100 to $1000. :)

Second, I just found an AMAZING post at androidtablets.net that puts my estimates to shame. It's a really good list of upcoming tablets, and I highly recommend checking it out. (It also helps salvage whatever bit of pride I have left: notice that the estimated entry-level price for several of the models is $399). I should probably stress that we're talking about 10" and 12" tablets, many with capacitive screens and dual processors. Wow!

List of Upcoming 10" Tablets

-Matt

angelpaws

Reaction score
I picked one of these up. I'm one one of those that gets super-excited over gadgets. Someone in this thread said something along the lines of "gadgets put me into a trance". That's what I'm like. I heard about this on the TWiT podcast, freaked out, ran to kmart, got one, then came home to play with it while listening to the rest of the podcast.

One of the first things I did was download the Kindle app and it downloaded and installed and I was able to sync my books and read on it. I loved that. But then after a little while I realized that I had a defective screen and needed to exchange it. So I tried to do a factory reset and that deleted the Kindle app but did not clear private data. A lot of people have reported this problem with not being able to clear private data. I called the company and they said there should be a fix for that on their website on Thursday. So, I figured until they release the update I'd use it to read my kindle books. NOW I cannot download the Kindle app nor any other app. How strange I was able to do that before, but not two days later.

I'm peeved that I can't return it due to my private info being stuck on there. To avoid them being sold out when I want to return it, I went back and put the last one on layaway to hold it.

In general I think it's a fun device and I like the size and form factor and have been wanting an Android device and love that this inexpensive device gives me that chance. But yeah, the touchscreen is a pain (not that responsive) and the keyboard is a ***** (because of the touchscreen and also I have to aim at the bottom of a key to get the right letter). Some would say that sucks, but for the money, if they fix these issues, I would say the device doesn't suck. I think one advantage for me is I have nice hard acrylic nails which I consider "tools" and so I use my fingernail instead of the stylus and I seemed to be able to use the touchscreen a lot easier in the store than the salesguy and male customer who were playing with it trying to use just their finger or fiddling with the stylus.

So, I'm crossing my fingers for the supposed Thursday update so that I can return it and pick up my layaway one that has a non-defective screen.

Cheers. :heart:

kdevine

Reaction score
Hold Back+Home keys on the back and cycle the power while holding the keys. This should do a hard reset. It will remove all your settings and all the non-native apps. Then, you can return it.

angelpaws

Reaction score
Hold Back+Home keys on the back and cycle the power while holding the keys. This should do a hard reset. It will remove all your settings and all the non-native apps. Then, you can return it.

Yeah, tried that before but what happened is it brought up a menu with no way to select items on the menu. I'm (trying to) run the updates now. Will see how it goes.

angelpaws

Reaction score
I gave up on the thing. I just returned it. The update wasn't installing right and customer service wasn't answering the phone. I STILL would like to get a small Android tablet about that size, but one that WORKS RIGHT. I am new to Android so I don't know if any others exist yet. I'll surf the forums and google and see what I can find. I'm open to suggestion. :)

I picked one of these up. I'm one one of those that gets super-excited over gadgets. Someone in this thread said something along the lines of "gadgets put me into a trance". That's what I'm like. I heard about this on the TWiT podcast, freaked out, ran to kmart, got one, then came home to play with it while listening to the rest of the podcast.

One of the first things I did was download the Kindle app and it downloaded and installed and I was able to sync my books and read on it. I loved that. But then after a little while I realized that I had a defective screen and needed to exchange it. So I tried to do a factory reset and that deleted the Kindle app but did not clear private data. A lot of people have reported this problem with not being able to clear private data. I called the company and they said there should be a fix for that on their website on Thursday. So, I figured until they release the update I'd use it to read my kindle books. NOW I cannot download the Kindle app nor any other app. How strange I was able to do that before, but not two days later.

I'm peeved that I can't return it due to my private info being stuck on there. To avoid them being sold out when I want to return it, I went back and put the last one on layaway to hold it.

In general I think it's a fun device and I like the size and form factor and have been wanting an Android device and love that this inexpensive device gives me that chance. But yeah, the touchscreen is a pain (not that responsive) and the keyboard is a ***** (because of the touchscreen and also I have to aim at the bottom of a key to get the right letter). Some would say that sucks, but for the money, if they fix these issues, I would say the device doesn't suck. I think one advantage for me is I have nice hard acrylic nails which I consider "tools" and so I use my fingernail instead of the stylus and I seemed to be able to use the touchscreen a lot easier in the store than the salesguy and male customer who were playing with it trying to use just their finger or fiddling with the stylus.

So, I'm crossing my fingers for the supposed Thursday update so that I can return it and pick up my layaway one that has a non-defective screen.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I gave up on the thing. I just returned it. The update wasn't installing right and customer service wasn't answering the phone. I STILL would like to get a small Android tablet about that size, but one that WORKS RIGHT. I am new to Android so I don't know if any others exist yet. I'll surf the forums and google and see what I can find. I'm open to suggestion. :)

angelpaws, sorry to hear that. :( At the moment I'm still playing with a Pandigital Novel...7" (4:3 aspect ratio) with Android 2.0. It's not the zippiest thing on two wheels, but as an e-reader/browser/game player/photo frame, it's worked out well for about $125 (after 20% coupon and $20 MIR from BedBath&Beyond). There's also a healthy discussion going on at:

Pandigital Novel Android Tablet Discussion

Keep us posted on your adventures in tablet-land.

-Matt

dragonfly1113

Reaction score

check out the archos 5 theres one that runs android os :) very similar i believe.

RemyL75

Reaction score
I can honestly say that it wasn't meant for me to have it.

I found one (after calling 20 K-Mart stores) in St John, IN (I'm in chicago, so wasn't fun to drive 45 mins to buy a tablet). Finally got used to it, wrestled with it to get it rooted. Had SetCPU running on it. And I even managed to get the update Augen released (then pulled from their site) and the custom recovery installed and working. The very last things I managed to do on it were make a nandroid backup and then a factory wipe. Then the power button broke. So I returned it. As hard as it is for me to say this, my experience with Augen has made me reconsider (can't believe I'm saying this) my position on the iPad :angry: