Augen Gentouch no longer available at K-Mart

J

JohnDroid

It looks like the ride is over with the Augen Gentouch at K-Mart. I placed my order two days ago online and was surprised to see a cancellation notice in my email this morning.

The cancellation email did not include a reason but did include an 800 number to call to ask why. I decided to do just that. The sales rep was very helpful in trying to locate more tablets in their different stock systems but was unable to find anything. After checking that she decided to find out when more were going to be in stock only to learn that it appears there will not be more in stock. They are out "indefinitely".

We can only guess as to the reasoning for this but it might have something to do with a bit of 'false advertising' and 'android market' problems on the Android Gentouch.

Source: Android Tablet Forum - Augen Gentouch no longer available at K-Mart

RemyL75

Reaction score
There might have been more than the Market problems and the false advertising going on. I returned mine because the power button stopped working. If they got enough of them returned, that could have been the final straw that broke the camel's back.

wricks

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thought I remembered reading that it is a licensing issue.......

"An announcement was just made on the official Augen news webpage for the Augen Gentouch by the CEO of Augen Electronics is as follows:

For future production runs and delivers, Augen will block and remove the Google Mobile Services Application Suite from the current devices until further notice. We are current in communication with Google Inc. to obtain the required licensing for upcoming products, and will announce our future statements the timelines and availability of these products as it will become available to us. However, for your convenience Augen will add applications to accomodate the absence of the Google Mobile Services Application Suite.

Reading into this, the Augen Gentouch may never get Google apps. Augen will try to acquire licensing for upcoming products. While they are adding apps to accommodate for this, Google applications bring a lot of functionality core to the Android operating system that cannot be simply replicated."

Full article :
Augen to Block and Remove All Google Experience Applications for Future Shipments

From www.AndroidTablets.net

Overcomer

Reaction score
FWIW there are a half dozen or so at my local Kmart. I don't even feel compelled to use my rain check.

n8pbm

Reaction score
My local Kmart got 4 of them delivered today. I did go and pick one up.