FlatPad 10" Android 2.1 Tablet now available in US for $285

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Darn, cant edit ....

Basically this new one is an ipad chinese ripoff that they decided to throw Android 2.1 onto.

Now add the capacitive touchscreen to it and you have something, and it would only have to go up another $100 or so (IMHO)

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Can some explain the resistive screen as opposed to a Droid?

for resistive you need to apply pressure (sometimes A LOT of pressure) for the screen to recognize input... as opposed to capacitive, which senses heat (and doesn't require pressure)

Heat has nothing to do with capacitivity based TS's.

No offense, but if part of the news team, please check your sources.

I'll lay both out for the FunN4Lo:

A resistive touchscreen panel is composed of several layers, the most important of which are two thin, metallic, electrically conductive layers separated by a narrow gap. When an object, such as a finger, presses down on a point on the panel's outer surface the two metallic layers become connected at that point: the panel then behaves as a pair of voltage dividers with connected outputs. This causes a change in the electrical current, which is registered as a touch event and sent to the controller for processing.

A capacitive touchscreen panel consists of an insulator such as glass, coated with a transparent conductor such as indium tin oxide (ITO). As the human body is also a conductor, touching the surface of the screen results in a distortion of the body's electrostatic field, measurable as a change in capacitance. Different technologies may be used to determine the location of the touch. The location is then sent to the controller for processing.

You just basically said the same thing, except in non layman terms.

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Okay capacitance has nothing to do with heat sensing. Can we please move on? I could've copy-and-pasted from Google like you if I wanted to, but tried to explain in the simplest terms I knew. And I made a mistake. If you have an issue with me personally, PM me or a mod/admin, don't call me out publicly in a thread.

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Okay capacitance has nothing to do with heat sensing. Can we please move on? I could've copy-and-pasted from Google like you if I wanted to, but tried to explain in the simplest terms I knew. And I made a mistake. If you have an issue with me personally, PM me or a mod/admin, don't call me out publicly in a thread.
Yikes, I just took another forum member to task for naively promoting task killers. I guess I have a naughty-boy look coming my way! :r_c:
-Matt

TheOldFart

Reaction score

I would personally rather read an accurate copy and paste from Google than inaccurate information. I couldn't understand why the heat thing would work, but thankfully someone posted the correct information that I could understand.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69

I would personally rather read an accurate copy and paste from Google than inaccurate information. I couldn't understand why the heat thing would work, but thankfully someone posted the correct information that I could understand.

I think you missed the sarcasm..

TheOldFart

Reaction score

No, I saw it and it was a bit out of place, but I don't think it deserved the response that it got. The response indicated to me that it would have been better if he had not posted the correction at all or that his correction wasn't worth anything, which I think is BS.

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

No, I saw it and it was a bit out of place, but I don't think it deserved the response that it got. The response indicated to me that it would have been better if he had not posted the correction at all or that his correction wasn't worth anything, which I think is BS.

I more than welcomed the correction. However, first off, the mistake was pointed out by a previous poster, and secondly he wrote this, which offended me greatly. a simple correction would've sufficed:

i mean, come on, i'm not allowed to make a mistake?

TheOldFart

Reaction score

I more than welcomed the correction. However, first off, the mistake was pointed out by a previous poster, and secondly he wrote this, which offended me greatly. a simple correction would've sufficed:

i mean, come on, i'm not allowed to make a mistake?

That's what I said, it was a bit out of place what he said, but don't get your shorts all tied in a knot because of it. The quote from his Google search was good, the extra comment was uncalled for, but why allow it to get you so upset.

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's what I said, it was a bit out of place what he said, but don't get your shorts all tied in a knot because of it. The quote from his Google search was good, the extra comment was uncalled for, but why allow it to get you so upset.

definitely, i'm over it. just keeps getting rehashed by others. can we get back on topic of the FlatPad? :)

JoePhoto

Reaction score
I'm keeping a keen eye on stuff like this as I'm interesting in acquiring a tablet mainly for digital sketching/painting as well as streaming Netflix movies. I think the iPad may get my coin not based on the device itself, but based on available software.

Nothing in the Android Market compares to the pro art apps available for the iPad - namely Brushes by Steve Sprang and Sketchbook Pro by Autodesk the latter of which also has synthetic (simulated) pressure sensitivity. Also Netflix streaming is happening now on iPad and isn't supported on Android yet.

Aside from my desire to give Apple as little of my coin as possible, the no Adobe Flash thing kills me. I want the browser to have flash support without hacking the device to death.

Someone needs to develop an iPad simulator/emulator for Android damnit!

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm keeping a keen eye on stuff like this as I'm interesting in acquiring a tablet mainly for digital sketching/painting as well as streaming Netflix movies. I think the iPad may get my coin not based on the device itself, but based on available software.

Nothing in the Android Market compares to the pro art apps available for the iPad - namely Brushes by Steve Sprang and Sketchbook Pro by Autodesk the latter of which also has synthetic (simulated) pressure sensitivity. Also Netflix streaming is happening now on iPad and isn't supported on Android yet.

Aside from my desire to give Apple as little of my coin as possible, the no Adobe Flash thing kills me. I want the browser to have flash support without hacking the device to death.

Someone needs to develop an iPad simulator/emulator for Android damnit!

i never thought i'd say this, but for your specific needs, seems like the iPad is the way to go. unless you can wait a couple months for some real high-quality Android tablets.

DebianDog

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
"Nothing in the Android Market compares to the pro art apps available for the iPad"

Exactly! They can copy the iPad looks all they want but unless you get PROS to write apps for it the device is nothing but a cheap reader, browser, movie watcher.

JoePhoto

Reaction score
Yeah, it's not the hardware that's the problem. From a hardware perspective, this Flat Pad will work just fine and the form factor is excellent, but the software simply isn't available (yet).

I've looked at tablet PC's and while they would do the trick with both hardware and software, the prices are a lot more plus the form factor and battery life are less than ideal... however they would support pressure sensitivity... sigh.