ASUS to Bring 3D Quad-Core Android Tablets to Market This Year

DroidMastar2

Reaction score
im not typing papers on a tablet, and some people (older people) can't see on a 10.1 inch tablet. i still want one!

Face it, no one needs a tablet. They didn't really exist in a big way until a year or so ago and we got along fine without them.

I don't mean this in offensive way, but that type of thinking is blind to the vision. There is a reason that Google, Microsoft and Apple are fighting so fiercely over this market and it's not because of the way that today's Tablets are used.

Like you said, no one needs a Tablet today but that's very short-sighted.

Envision a scenario where you have one portable "computing" device. When you are on the go traveling, it functions as a cell phone. When you need something a bit bigger, you fit it into the "Tablet" docking and sit on the couch playing video games, surfing the web or reading a book. Then when you need to write that term paper or work on that office presentation, you plug it into a docking station for a big 21" monitor and keyboard.

Although, personally, I think you'll always see the computer/tablet separate from the cell phone. Mainly because if you drop the phone in a toilet, you don't lose all your data.

But even here, you are seeing the trend towards Cloud computing. One device with all your "storage" backed up to the Cloud or some secure location.

Expensive toy or not, the consumer market is headed that direction FAST.

What you describe will certainly be - someday. That might take 10 years or just 1 year. It depends on how powerful a computer a certain person needs. If all a person needs is to surf the web, post to facebook and do some basic document or spreadsheet creation, then it is here today or at least close. The Atrix is a start. However, it will be much longer before the processor and graphics in a smartphone, or even a tablet, will permit higher level gaming or video or photo editing. Right now the tablet is basically a toy for the vast majority of people in my opinion and that is what I was referring to. When it becomes as powerful as your scenario then it will become a more powerful tool. I don't need a toy. That doesn't mean that I don't want one, but I don't need one.

If you consider a TV a toy, or a cell phone a toy, or a laptop a toy, or a computer a toy... then yes, tablets are toys.

Beardface

Reaction score
im not typing papers on a tablet, and some people (older people) can't see on a 10.1 inch tablet. i still want one!

Face it, no one needs a tablet. They didn't really exist in a big way until a year or so ago and we got along fine without them.

I don't mean this in offensive way, but that type of thinking is blind to the vision. There is a reason that Google, Microsoft and Apple are fighting so fiercely over this market and it's not because of the way that today's Tablets are used.

Like you said, no one needs a Tablet today but that's very short-sighted.

Envision a scenario where you have one portable "computing" device. When you are on the go traveling, it functions as a cell phone. When you need something a bit bigger, you fit it into the "Tablet" docking and sit on the couch playing video games, surfing the web or reading a book. Then when you need to write that term paper or work on that office presentation, you plug it into a docking station for a big 21" monitor and keyboard.

Although, personally, I think you'll always see the computer/tablet separate from the cell phone. Mainly because if you drop the phone in a toilet, you don't lose all your data.

But even here, you are seeing the trend towards Cloud computing. One device with all your "storage" backed up to the Cloud or some secure location.

Expensive toy or not, the consumer market is headed that direction FAST.

What you describe will certainly be - someday. That might take 10 years or just 1 year. It depends on how powerful a computer a certain person needs. If all a person needs is to surf the web, post to facebook and do some basic document or spreadsheet creation, then it is here today or at least close. The Atrix is a start. However, it will be much longer before the processor and graphics in a smartphone, or even a tablet, will permit higher level gaming or video or photo editing. Right now the tablet is basically a toy for the vast majority of people in my opinion and that is what I was referring to. When it becomes as powerful as your scenario then it will become a more powerful tool. I don't need a toy. That doesn't mean that I don't want one, but I don't need one.

Well you touch on another point, and one that kind of backs up what we are saying. The devices that allow for high level gaming, and video/photo editing, in my opinion, will always be the market where the desktop computer dominates. This is not a market that the laptop seriously competes in. Yes, there are some devices that can, but 90% or more of all usage in those fields are done by cheaper, top of the line, extremely powerful desktop systems that can be easily expandable to whatever the customer needs.

What the tablet will eventually do is make the laptop an obsolete device. The tablet can do the same things, and have a much easier interface with significantly increased mobility. And for those that want the physical keyboard, that market already exists. Look at how many wireless keyboards are already out there.

I'm guessing within 5 years, the laptop will be considered an outdated and obsolete device.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
If you consider a TV a toy, or a cell phone a toy, or a laptop a toy, or a computer a toy... then yes, tablets are toys.

TV - basically, toy

Cell phone - Not toy, it is needed to keep in touch with necessary people while away from home. It is needed in cases of emergency. The smartphone allows me to monitor the weather while traveling and check stocks or office mail when I still worked.

Computer, laptop or desktop - Not toy, they do real work, like organize and monitor my retirement and medical stuff, do my taxes, write necessary letters that can't be transferred electronically. They also organize all my photos and videos, although that is probably in the toy category.

The tablet does nothing that a cell phone or laptop or desktop computer can't do and actually does much less than any of those. TOY.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
What the tablet will eventually do is make the laptop an obsolete device. The tablet can do the same things, and have a much easier interface with significantly increased mobility. And for those that want the physical keyboard, that market already exists. Look at how many wireless keyboards are already out there.

I'm guessing within 5 years, the laptop will be considered an outdated and obsolete device.

This I totally agree with. When the tablet is at that level of usefullness then I will consider it a tool and not a toy. Personally, I'm thinking 2 or 3 years until that day. However, it will either have to run Windows or Android will have to become much more powerful to run the programs that I run. This does not include games for me. I'm thinking there is a good chance that Android will get there.

DroidMastar2

Reaction score

TV - basically, toy

Cell phone - Not toy, it is needed to keep in touch with necessary people while away from home. It is needed in cases of emergency. The smartphone allows me to monitor the weather while traveling and check stocks or office mail when I still worked.

Computer, laptop or desktop - Not toy, they do real work, like organize and monitor my retirement and medical stuff, do my taxes, write necessary letters that can't be transferred electronically. They also organize all my photos and videos, although that is probably in the toy category.

The tablet does nothing that a cell phone or laptop or desktop computer can't do and actually does much less than any of those. TOY.

TVs are used as a source of information as well as entertainment. A tablet has the capability of doing the jobs of a laptop, desktop, cell phone, and TV in one device.

I'm not going to waste any more of either of our time to argue over it, but maybe you should try a tablet out...

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
Also, Apple's Tablets aren't over priced in todays market. Look at the price of unsubsidized smartphones (the prices have been that way forever).

Um, with the Nook Color for $200-250 (Ipad 1 competitive specs but 7") and the Viewsonic Gtablet (similar in specs to the Xoom but released last year) for $400, how is the Ipad not overpriced? It, and the Xoom, are far more expensive than they should be!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

bp328i

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score

TV - basically, toy

TVs are used as a source of information as well as entertainment. A tablet has the capability of doing the jobs of a laptop, desktop, cell phone, and TV in one device.

I'm not going to waste any more of either of our time to argue over it, but maybe you should try a tablet out...

I have a tablet (just got the Xoom last week) while very nice, there is no way this thing has the capability to do the jobs of my laptop, desktop or cell phone at this point in time, TV maybe but not quite.

I'm going to have to agree with TheOldFart on this one, "currently" tablets are toys for big boys and girls.

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
TV - basically, toy

I have a tablet (just got the Xoom last week) while very nice, there is no way this thing has the capability to do the jobs of my laptop, desktop or cell phone at this point in time, TV maybe but not quite.

I'm going to have to agree with TheOldFart on this one, "currently" tablets are toys for big boys and girls.

This is why the answer to these questions is always, "it depends." I bet you a Xoom would be plenty to serve all of these roles for a college literature student who lives on campus (with cell phone being at highest risk). No way for a software developer.

DroidMastar2

Reaction score
TV - basically, toy

I wasn't saying it could replace those devices as of yet. But you can do word processing, check email, browse the web, look at movies, make phone calls, video chat, play games, edit, organize and share photos, print from, mobile hotspot capabilities, listen to music, view and edit PDFs, read books, get directions and GPS, check the weather, organize and plan, catalog information, read edit and create spreadsheets... Now can you explain to me what didn't i mention that most people do on their laptops, cell phones, and desktops?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score

I have to agree with that. Each of those devices has pretty specific purposes that makes them, currently, irreplaceable for most people. And while a tablet repackages various features into a new form factor, it's all redundant with tv/pc/cell nearly all people have to have. And because, in most cases, it offers an inferior alternative (10" screen replacing a tv or even 21" computer monitor? Carry it with you to the store because you're waiting on a phone call?), while "toy" is probably unfair it's truly an unneccesary device.

IMO tablets and pc's/netbooks eventually give way to add-on shells for smartphones. I think that's clearly the obvious direction of things.

DroidMastar2

Reaction score
Also, Apple's Tablets aren't over priced in todays market. Look at the price of unsubsidized smartphones (the prices have been that way forever).

Um, with the Nook Color for $200-250 (Ipad 1 competitive specs but 7") and the Viewsonic Gtablet (similar in specs to the Xoom but released last year) for $400, how is the Ipad not overpriced? It, and the Xoom, are far more expensive than they should be!

The Gtablet has lesser hardware specs and an older OS than the Xoom and is about $400. The price of the wifi xoom that i saw is about $540. How can you compare the two and say it's overpriced?

The Nook has competitive specs with the Ipad but it was not designed to be a multipurpose device. It's smaller screen and and lackluster UI take away from it's shine. It doesn't offer the ease of use, ease of organization, and ease of accesibility that the Ipad does...

DroidMastar2

Reaction score

I have to agree with that. Each of those devices has pretty specific purposes that makes them, currently, irreplaceable for most people. And while a tablet repackages various features into a new form factor, it's all redundant with tv/pc/cell nearly all people have to have. And because, in most cases, it offers an inferior alternative (10" screen replacing a tv or even 21" computer monitor? Carry it with you to the store because you're waiting on a phone call?), while "toy" is probably unfair it's truly an unneccesary device.

IMO tablets and pc's/netbooks eventually give way to add-on shells for smartphones. I think that's clearly the obvious direction of things.

I didn't mean to imply that tablets are at the point where they can replace those devices... I am just trying to point out that tablets can perform the tasks that those devices perform and that toy doesn't really describe them. I mean I utilize my IPad for many different things, web browsing, news updates, educational apps for my son, word processing, books, even remote desktop access and support, studying for my Network+ exam with the available apps, etc.

darkmatter

Reaction score
I can't wait to get my $200 nook color and put honeycomb on it. I personally think the 7" size is optimal for a tablet. At 10" I'd look more at a netbook.

Asus thus far, has the only tablet designs that I find intriguing. I particularly like the slider and transformer.

Either that or an Atrix type device (moto has stated that their high end phones will have docking features). The docking of the atrix is, imo, the most innovative thing to happen to phones since the iphone. For most people, these dual core phones can provide all the utility you need...you're just changing the ways you can interface with it.

DroidMastar2

Reaction score
I can't wait to get my $200 nook color and put honeycomb on it. I personally think the 7" size is optimal for a tablet. At 10" I'd look more at a netbook.

Asus thus far, has the only tablet designs that I find intriguing. I particularly like the slider and transformer.

Either that or an Atrix type device (moto has stated that their high end phones will have docking features). The docking of the atrix is, imo, the most innovative thing to happen to phones since the iphone. For most people, these dual core phones can provide all the utility you need...you're just changing the ways you can interface with it.

dark matter i have to agree, that slider tablet is pretty nice. Well you would have to purchase it separately but bluetooth keyboards work with the tabs

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Either that or an Atrix type device (moto has stated that their high end phones will have docking features).

That, and the fact Webtop has already been hacked so it can be used via hdmi without the dock. #Winner