Asus' new Android Transformer tablet going quad-core

Discussion in 'Android News' started by Malvado, Oct 20, 2011.

1. rubiksc00p

rubiksc00p Senior Member

Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
    Ratings:
    +29
    I think this kinda blurs the line between laptop and tablet. I don't exactly want a laptop with ICS, I want a full OS like Windows! That is where it would be more appealing with windows 8!
    I love the transformer and if I get a tablet it would be between it and the galaxy 10.1. I just always think of a tablet a an extension of my phone, not laptop...

On another note, I think these expensive tablets are going to have to come down in price because of the new Kindle Fire. A. For the people who don't care about specs only price, or B. The ones who care about price and ICS can just root and install ICS onto the Kindle! (like me) ;)

Swyped and sent through the interwebz to you!

2. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Senior Member

Ratings:
    +168
    I agree with your point, but can't get over the gut feeling that the T2 will be > $400. Maybe mid-400s like the Slider?

Since we're discussing pricing strategy, if everyone will indulge me in some nostalgia, here's a post of mine from July 2010. I think your point about iPad as the standard is spot on:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...s-k-mart-stores-week-149-a-12.html#post681196

3. kodiak799

kodiak799 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +405
    the other question is, can tablet/smartphone mfrs keep piling on the tech, and charging premium margins for it, if we don't really need it? Aside from some specialized gaming uses, how much more powerful do we really need? Anything that doesn't fully bridge the gap to something that can dual-boot Windows and/or run full-blown Office is basically wasteful overkill. What's this quad-core processor really going to do for you, especially with only 1gig of ram?

4. soulpatch

soulpatch Active Member

Ratings:
    +30
    I think people look to the tablet to replace a netbook or laptop when that is not the intention. I have a computer at work and at home. I will most likely always need to have them due to the type of work and analysis that I do. I want a tablet for the same reason I want a smart phone. To have some productivity gains but also for entertainment.

I can more easily take a tablet into meetings for notes and while at home would rather surf the web or play games on the tablet then my laptop. I dont have a netbook as I never saw the need to get a second laptop essentially. A tablet has a lot more built in uses that I find value in.

5. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Senior Member

Ratings:
    +168
    Excellent question. I'm disappointed that iSuppli (or someone) isn't doing a lot more teardowns and giving the Android tablet community a better idea what the component costs are. A lot of people say "tablets should be under $300" but with the supposed choke-hold Apple has on some of the components (esp. screens and memory) it's hard to know what the prices "should" be. Too bad there isn't the option to go the Dell route, where you "design" your tablet a la carte.

Regarding the quad-core question, I had understood that aside from speed gains (and bragging rights over the iPhone), Kal-El also does a better job with power management. But I recently joked that my T1 already gets 12-16 hours of use. At the moment (given I charge it every night) 24 hours of use on the T2 is not a feature I need.

-Matt

6. Malvado

Malvado DF News Team/Mod Premium Member

Ratings:
    +15
    I'm confused, where are you guys gettin 1gb RAM from. I didn't mention anything nor did I see anything of that sort mentioned on the source link I provided.

Sent from my Droid 3 directly to YOU!

7. bigfake23

bigfake23 Member

Ratings:
    +1
  8. Malvado

Malvado DF News Team/Mod Premium Member

Ratings:
    +15
    That's for a transformer 2...might not be the same as the tranformer prime

Sent from my Droid 3 directly to YOU!