FCC Exposes Tegra 3 Quad-Core Chip of Asus Transformer Prime

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Asus-Tranformer-Prime-tablet-taken-apart-by-the-FCC-exposing-the-Tegra-3-quad-core-chip.jpg

The FCC recently had their way with the upcoming Asus Transformer Prime Android tablet, in more ways the one. They dissected the device and took some very candid pictures of the poor subject's insides. Of course, because they decided to throw common decency to the wind, we now have some great pics of the Tegra 3 Quad-core chip! Also, according to some reports, Asus plans to have ICS ready for this tablet in early 2012. The device will likely go on sale for $499, and although that price is a bit steep, you get cutting edge technology for that price, so it should please the power-user crowd. We have also heard that the tablet is likely to be available as early as November 9th, so potentially as early as next week we will see whatthis ultra high-end tablet is capable of. Here are some pics, but be sure to hit the source link for some more.

asus-transformer-prime-board-1.jpg

Speaking of which, we have another story on the Asus Transformer Prime to follow that will have some benchmarks of the device. Stay tuned!

Source: TransformerForums via PhoneArena

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I assume we're talking about a 16GB device (not 32GB)? If so, while the $499 seems steep it's pretty much what I see in my crystal ball. ;) However, first-adopters beware: instead of starting high and gradually dropping the price on the 1st gen Transformer, it has pretty much stuck at $399 (aside from occasional deals, like the brief offer at Newegg of a "free" keyboard/dock). In hindsight it seems like a good strategy -- lots of prospective owners freaked out when they couldn't pick one up at that price (compared to $450-$500 for other tablets like the Xoom).

If Asus uses the same pricing model on the T2, I DON'T think we'll see that $499 drift downward over time. Of course, if initial sales are slow...anything is possible. With BF around the corner, it wouldn't surprise me if BestBuy and others throw a few units near the door as loss-leaders, and ask $399 for them.

-Matt