Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Asus-Transformer-tease-1_610x382.jpg
Asus-Transformer-tease-2_610x382.jpg

Jonney Shih, speaking at All Things Digital AsiaD conference in Hong Kong, said the next Asus Transformer Tab will be 8.3 millimeters thick and features USB and mini HDMI ports, but reserved further details for a formal launch on November 9. The tablet is called the Transformer Prime, according to Engadget.

Asus already has a similar product on the market, the Eee Pad Transformer, with a dual-core Nvidia Tegra 2 processor, and its signature feature is a detachable keyboard that can make the tablet look more like a laptop. It's not clear if the keyboard module for the Eee Pad Transformer will work with the new model.

It seems likely the new Transformer will come with Ice Cream Sandwich, version 4.0 of Google's Android operating system for mobile devices. Android 3.x, aka Honeycomb, was a stopgap measure intended to help Android tablets reach the market as soon as possible, but Ice Cream Sandwich is a more finished product and won't be out of sync with the OS version running on Android phones. Shih said Ice Cream Sandwich could arrive on tablets "maybe earlier" than the end of the year.

Asus has set high expectations for its tablet family, predicting earlier this year that Asus would out-ship all other tablet makers except Apple. Asus also offered a tease video of the Transformer Prime yesterday. It showed a close-up view of the keyboard, including a USB port, and the combination screen and tablet detaching from it.

Nvidia already powers most Android tablets today, and it seems likely that its new quad-core Tegra 3 chip will be a prime selling point as Android tablet makers strive to compete with Apple's incumbent iPad.

For more discussions on the ASUS Transformer, be sure to visit our sister site @ Asus Transformer Tablet Forum

SOURCE: Asus reveals Transformer Prime; world’s first quad-core Tegra 3 tablet | Android and Me

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
laptop. .....

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I picked up the Transformer+dock/keyboard bundle while it was on sale at Newegg a few weeks ago. I have to say -- after owning a number of other Android tablets -- it has far, far exceeded my expectations. For my particular set of needs/uses, it's turned out to be the perfect tool.

Buyer's remorse? Hopefully not, assuming: (a) the Transformer 2 is more expensive than the T1, and (b) the quad-core is more hype than substance. At least so far, there really aren't any apps (or media files) that the dual-core Tegra sputters on. I think I'll be OK...at least for the next 6-7 months!

-Matt

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Its a removable keyboard

Sent from my Droid 3 directly to YOU!
Yeah, my comment was a very indirect response. Calling the Transformer a laptop is almost a trollish comment -- but with 800ish posts that qualifies for the benefit of the doubt. Anyway, the correct insult in this case is "NETBOOK", not "laptop". LOL

And my more direct response is "if you don't own one -- if you haven't logged a few days using one -- you definitely should reserve judgment." It's a hefty 3 pounds with the keyboard attached, but with that extra battery and way over 12 hours of use, it's a superb device. It really does fit perfectly in the niche between notebook and tablet.

-Matt

bigfake23

Reaction score
Can't wait. I wonder if this is where the name Prime was coming from during speculation on the Galaxy Nexus.

lobo13

Reaction score
Awesome! Finally some news on this thing. I hope the price is within range. Cause I was thinking of picking up a Motorola Xoom1, or Xoom2, then I heard about the Asus Transformer now the Transformer Prime. Think the the Prime will be my first tablet. :) Hope it releases soon. Wonder what the unveiling of it on November 9th will bring. Launch date? I hope so!

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Awesome! Finally some news on this thing. I hope the price is within range. Cause I was thinking of picking up a Motorola Xoom1, or Xoom2, then I heard about the Asus Transformer now the Transformer Prime. Think the the Prime will be my first tablet. :) Hope it releases soon. Wonder what the unveiling of it on November 9th will bring. Launch date? I hope so!

Rumored to be $499.

Stop by Transformer Forums. We have a dedicated section for the upcoming Transformer Prime.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
If and when my portable heater (I mean laptop) calls it quits I will get something like the transformer. Got an IPad from work, though, and hardly ever use it. But basically being able to sync and set-up my tablet about the same as my phone (with ICS) would be appealing.

Great solution for surfing and video. But I may wait for some 3rd parties to come out with something like Moto's lapdock, only like the transformer with a detachable keyboard. With HDMI out and ICS I think we should see tablet/netbook "docks" that will use the phone as the guts (including it's LTE connection).

That's a no-brainer, right? There's no reason if Moto can create something like a lapdock that a 3rd Party can't do the same for any phone on ICS with an HDMI port?

soulpatch

Reaction score
I think if they price it at $499 then they price themselves in with the big boys which loses some of their appeal. Yes I liked the transformer the most out of the current crop but I waited. Now this is on my horizon and if in the $399 range I will snag it. If it continues to be around the 500 range then it is still worthwhile to wait in a way till it goes on sale.

I mean you have the xoom family edition comein in at 379 and yes this has newer tech but its price would be going the wrong direction should they bump it up

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Problem is they didn't bump the ram to 2gigs. How do you really take advantage of a quad-core CPU without needing the extra ram?

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I think if they price it at $499 then they price themselves in with the big boys which loses some of their appeal. Yes I liked the transformer the most out of the current crop but I waited. Now this is on my horizon and if in the $399 range I will snag it. If it continues to be around the 500 range then it is still worthwhile to wait in a way till it goes on sale.

I mean you have the xoom family edition comein in at 379 and yes this has newer tech but its price would be going the wrong direction should they bump it up
The details are a little foggy -- but I think the T1 came out in March (?) at $399. Who remembers that?...and who remembers the absolute madness that followed? Go look at the discussions on Amazon and you'll see things like "WHEN IS AMAZON GETTING MORE STOCK???" and "SIGN MY PETITION TO BAN SELLER XYZ for CHARGING $450!!!" People were losing their minds. Almost as much craziness as the episode with the HP Touchpad.

Sure enough, Asus ramped up production -- though again, look at the Amazon reviews in the second wave of shipments and it looks like there were some pretty bad fruit mixed in. But I think since June or July it's been pretty steady, smooth sailing. $400 price tag, and very few user complaints.

Looking back, I have to admit I was pretty astonished about that $400 price point. Seriously, Asus made Acer and maybe even Toshiba poop in their pants -- eventually forcing them to offer these funky $50+ gift cards as an incentive (rather than just dropping the price directly). E.g.:

Acer Iconia A500 10" Android 3.0 16GB Tablet + $50 Gift Card $400 at Newegg
Toshiba Thrive 8GB 10.1" Tablet + $80 Gift Card $380 at Newegg

It's interesting that neither Samsung nor Motorola played the same pricing game. I don't think those strategies really worked -- leaving Asus (my guess) with the highest selling volume and possibly the best Android tablet reputation, at least for price vs. performance.

Anyway, that brings us to now. Looking at the T2, I really can't guess what will happen. History and reputation suggest that the T1 and eventually the Slider will drop down to $300ish, leaving the T2 to fall into the $400 slot. But my gut says no. If I had to place a bet, it will be that the T2 comes out at $499 and stays there through at least 2011.

-Matt

soulpatch

Reaction score
Yes but with tablets like the Xoom family coming out at 379 or so Asus will have to compete with the bigger names and thus I htink they would continue their method of underselling the other manufactorers. With the dock and other accessories to guard against the initial loss on the machine perhaps I think they can get in that 3-400 range to remain attractive to customers.

I think most tablet makers are seeing that to sell the quantity they expect they need to lower their prices and it is slowly starting to happen. You can not step into the iPad world and expect to sell for same price and steal their market share...