ASUS Eee Pad Transformer 2 with Ice Cream Sandwich and Tegra 3 Coming Oct/Nov

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
EeePadTransformer-2-rumor.jpg

Although this may only be a rumor, if it turns out to be true, it would appear that ASUS is a bit "overzealous" about their Android Tablets. They just released their Eee Pad Transformer a couple of months ago to a rousing success, and now they already have planned an Eee Pad Transformer 2 that will launch using the NVIDIA Tegra 3 (Kal-El) Quad-core processor, and Google's latest Android OS, Ice Cream Sandwich. Additionally, sources also suggest that ASUS will still price things very competitively at $399.99. Apparently, ASUS will actually not be making any profit on either version of the Transformer. They are selling the tablets at a "break-even" price-point and instead will make profit on sales of the keyboard dock. That's a gutsy, but pretty sharp move. What do you guys think?

You can discuss more about ASUS' Android tablets in our AndroidTablets.net dedicated section, or check out our dedicated sister-site @TransformerForums.com!

Source: AndroidTablets.net and TransformerForums.com via SlashGear

GeLopez

Reaction score
no way, i dont believe they are not making any money on the tablet, no way.

still pretty cool device i got the first one and will be buying the next one too.

coreymm324

Reaction score
sounds like what Sony did with the PS3. they make almost NOTHING off the actual systems, but when you have millions of people buying 1, 2 or 3 SIXAXIS controllers at $50-60 a pop, and games at $40-60, youre gonna make billions of dollars.

Asus is really doin their thing. used my friend's Eee Pad for a few days and it's definitely worth buying. if they truly are not making any money off the actual tablet, i feel like they're gonna have a wave of new diehard followers. maybe just from people jumping on a bandwagon for a company who is seemingly "honest" and "fair", but either way Asus will make some serious cash.

good going Asus!

droidkevlar

Reaction score
sounds like what Sony did with the PS3. they make almost NOTHING off the actual systems, but when you have millions of people buying 1, 2 or 3 SIXAXIS controllers at $50-60 a pop, and games at $40-60, youre gonna make billions of dollars.

All video game companies do this, not just Sony. They actually lose TONS on the sale of the console.

And either way, if they are or arent making any more, I have the TF and it is sick! So I know the next one will be even better. Just have to convince the wife to let me get that one next, lol.

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
If they're going to the $399 price, they should allow us to trade in our Transformers :) Now I gotta try to sell my Transformer..

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I hope its true,cos rumor has it that nov is the time fram when the nexus 4g is 2 drop and I hope google uses the same chip.

Beardface

Reaction score
Man, and just when I thought the Xoom was getting reasonable...

With that said, I still might go with the Xoom. The hardware on that device is just top notch all the way and I love playing around with it at the Verizon/Best Buy stores. Plus, who knows how long it'll be before there are apps to fully utilize these devices. There aren't anything out there that utilizes dual core, and they're already set to release quad core... Boggles the mind.

Jeyman

Reaction score

With that said, I still might go with the Xoom. The hardware on that device is just top notch all the way and I love playing around with it at the Verizon/Best Buy stores. Plus, who knows how long it'll be before there are apps to fully utilize these devices. There aren't anything out there that utilizes dual core, and they're already set to release quad core... Boggles the mind.

there is a full market that is optimized for the dual core chip set. Its a small amount of games but still there are apps out there.

With that being said I plan to hold onto my TF1. I tend to skip one gen just cant keep up with buying a new tec each and every year lol. I just start to get the feeling I am getting good use out of it.

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score

there is a full market that is optimized for the dual core chip set. Its a small amount of games but still there are apps out there.

With that being said I plan to hold onto my TF1. I tend to skip one gen just cant keep up with buying a new tec each and every year lol. I just start to get the feeling I am getting good use out of it.

You can't keep up with Android. dancedroid
If I can, I will skip the 4G/Dual Core years, and wait for the 5G/Quad Core phones possibly in 2013 if I am lucky!

jayman350

Reaction score
I was playing around w/ the TF at Target yesterday. Wow what a nicely put together device. This was my first experience playing w/ a tablet and I walked away very impressed. I wish I could have used it a little more, the display was set up to turn the wrong way so I could not see what it looked like in portrait.

I tried to play NFS that was loaded on it....FC....oh well can't win them all right...even if it is pre-loaded software

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
...if they truly are not making any money off the actual tablet, i feel like they're gonna have a wave of new diehard followers. maybe just from people jumping on a bandwagon for a company who is seemingly "honest" and "fair", but either way Asus will make some serious cash.

good going Asus!
Disclaimer: I am a big fan of Asus, and own or have owned 2 netbooks and a laptop. But:

You might want to check out the 1-star reviews of the Transformer at Amazon. Unless it's fake PR from Samsung or Toshiba, it looks like the one thing Asus has REALLY cut costs on is customer service:

-Matt