ASPHALT 5 for the DROID!!!!

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
and like i told the nexus one´s gpu is really crap. so the 1 ghz don´t help much here.

This statement is totally incorrect. There is no way that the Nexus One's GPU is "crap". It's a mobile ATI-designed GPU with better specs than the PowerVR SGX530 in the Droid.

The Droid's PowerVR, however, has the advantage of using Tile-based rendering, where things that aren't visible are never rendered to begin with (as opposed to the normal method of rendering hidden surfaces) - thus, the PowerVR is a more EFFICIENT design. But like I said, the Snapdragon's GPU is FAR from crap. Actually, the Snapdragon's GPU is said to be more powerful than the one in the Nintendo Wii.

Qualcomm Snapdragon more powerful than Nintendo Wii?

Rabbi57

Reaction score
if you look at both GPU and CPU, they are great in the Nexus One, that's not the problem. The problem is the bandwidth between those two, it's a bottleneck which is causing those lags, and Gameloft cannot do anything about it...neither do other companies. iPhone-like 3D games on Nexus won't be as smooth as on other devices like the Droid, it's a fact.
sorry Nexus One users, you have a Ferrari with Nissan Tiida tires :)

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
if you look at both GPU and CPU, they are great in the Nexus One, that's not the problem. The problem is the bandwidth between those two, it's a bottleneck which is causing those lags, and Gameloft cannot do anything about it...neither do other companies. iPhone-like 3D games on Nexus won't be as smooth as on other devices like the Droid, it's a fact.

Look at Neocore, though (a 3D benchmark OPTIMIZED for Qualcomm chipsets) - in all cases it clearly runs quicker on the N1 than on the Droid (even with the Droid being overclocked)

I personally don't feel it is a bandwidth issue at all, rather an optimization issue. There are simply more Moto Droids out there right now than any other Android phone; and the devs are simply working hardest at optimizations for the OMAP3430 platform.

(FWIW, I think I finally figured out the name of the GPU in the Snapdragon - it's the AMD-based Qualcomm Adreno 200 AKA AMD z430)

EDIT: Looks like the Adreno has much higher triangle throughput (22M triangles/sec vs. 7M triangles/sec for the SGX530) but the SGX530 has almost twice as much pixel throughput (250Mpixels/sec. vs. 133Mpixels/sec for the Adreno) So it would appear that the Droid DOES have more memory bandwidth. Technically, this shouldn't matter AS much though, unless alot of pixel postprocessing is going on. I KNOW these games don't run any real degree of AntiAliasing; and i'm thinking they don't use Ansiotropic filtering, either.

Another EDIT: Hmmm, looks like the Droid IS significantly better for gaming, according to Gameloft:

http://androidandme.com/2010/03/new...-lead-as-top-android-game-dev-with-asphalt-5/

Last edited:

MustangGT500

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
and like i told the nexus one´s gpu is really crap. so the 1 ghz don´t help much here.

This statement is totally incorrect. There is no way that the Nexus One's GPU is "crap". It's a mobile ATI-designed GPU with better specs than the PowerVR SGX530 in the Droid.

The Droid's PowerVR, however, has the advantage of using Tile-based rendering, where things that aren't visible are never rendered to begin with (as opposed to the normal method of rendering hidden surfaces) - thus, the PowerVR is a more EFFICIENT design. But like I said, the Snapdragon's GPU is FAR from crap. Actually, the Snapdragon's GPU is said to be more powerful than the one in the Nintendo Wii.

Qualcomm Snapdragon more powerful than Nintendo Wii?

he power vr sgx is 530 double as fast as the amd z430. learn more about it on the interview with hyperdevbox in our droidblog :

Chat with the ExZeus makers hyperdevbox | DroidBlog - Android News

(last question from the interview)

Last edited:

MustangGT500

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

Look at Neocore, though (a 3D benchmark OPTIMIZED for Qualcomm chipsets) - in all cases it clearly runs quicker on the N1 than on the Droid (even with the Droid being overclocked)

I personally don't feel it is a bandwidth issue at all, rather an optimization issue. There are simply more Moto Droids out there right now than any other Android phone; and the devs are simply working hardest at optimizations for the OMAP3430 platform.

(FWIW, I think I finally figured out the name of the GPU in the Snapdragon - it's the AMD-based Qualcomm Adreno 200 AKA AMD z430)

you already told it. the neocore IS QUALCOMM optimized. the nexus gpu has to render just compressed textures and the power vr has to render uncompressed textures here. and you have to add that the droid haves a 6% higher screen res. If the neocore would be power vr optimized it would be much faster as the nexus.

in neocore the nexus gots 26 fps, the droid 21 fps. makes 5 fps difference. thats about just 20 perecent. if you calculate droids higher screen res in it the difference are even smaller. with nexus res the droid would get arround 22 fps. arround 15 % difference. and if it would be uncompressed textures like i said, the nexus would have no chance against the droid.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^ I had always suspected it had something to do with texture compression. That explains the "blank" polygons that the original Neocore showed until it was "fixed" for the Droid.

Anyways, that interview was quite the interesting read. I can only end in saying that I am a bit disappointed in Qualcomm for pairing such a powerful CPU with a GPU that lacks in fillrate. I cannot believe that they did not pick a more appropriate GPU technology and it seems like they needlessly crippled their platform. Being a gamer, I can also say that I am glad I went with the MotoDroid. (Having the PowerVR GPU brings back memories of my Sega Dreamcast *LOL*)

OP
G

gertman

Reaction score
Hey everybody Gameloft released an update. No release notes with it so I don't know what they fixed. But very glad to see they are trying to make it better.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
Really frustrating when devs don't post release updates. It seems especially unprofessional for someone as big as Gameloft. Regardless, I have to agree with gertman, they're doing something about any shortcomings the game has, wish I could say the same for RT2... Liking this game more each day. The cops are tough, just got the bikes, and just realized you can press the boost button multiple times for a stronger boost.

MustangGT500

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
will try it later. let us know if you find some changes :D.

droid d'oh

Reaction score
Hey everybody Gameloft released an update. No release notes with it so I don't know what they fixed. But very glad to see they are trying to make it better.

Now it's not even on the market. Seems like Gameloft doesn't really know what they're doing with android yet. Hopefully it'll be back up later tonight so I can get the update.

stevenfstein

Reaction score
what is the easiest way to eliminate the competition - having some difficulty. Not a problem getting rid of police cars but not sure the best tactic.

Regards.... Steve

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Ram them into the wall/rail/building.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I kind of feel build for N1 users not having a manly enough GPU for this game.

I put in a request that they be moved down to Asphalt 3 status so they will get acceptable fps.

OP
G

gertman

Reaction score
OMG Asphalt 5 is currently a featured title in the Android Market!!! Looks like Gameloft might actually be caring? Let's hope this get them over the 1000 sold sales hump.