Are you planning to do a factory reset after the ICS OTA?

jeff70

Reaction score
as the ICS OTA creeps closer I was starting to think about if I will do a factory reset after I get the OTA

I usually have done a FR with other GB updates I got with past phones, I formatted the SD card and factory reset but I dread having to put back on all my apps and setting up the phone just how I like it again

It will be such a large jump this time from 2.3.6 to 4.0.3/4.0.4 so I thought as much as I hate to do it I will probably be going down the FR/formatted SD card route to have a fresh install of ICS on my phone to at least try to minimize any potential problems that may pop up with any remnants of GB left behind after the update

maybe my reasons for doing a FR/format are just :wacko: and I am curious what others will be doing after getting the ICS OTA

Last edited:

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I think for ICS I will actually do one before and after the update just to give myself the best chance for ultimate success.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Yeah, me too. I have loaded so many apps on this phone just to try out but find I barely use them. It will be good to start out fresh and clean...and only load the apps I know I actually use.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

OP
jeff70

jeff70

Reaction score
I think for ICS I will actually do one before and after the update just to give myself the best chance for ultimate success.

good idea I never thought of doing a FR before the OTA

ps. I used to live off Bee Cave 2244 close to 71 in Austin about 5 years ago, I had to move because that place was too damn hot :mad: , but I loved Stubbs & Threadgills, going to Antones and seeing the Scabs and Bob Schneider, and hitting the bars on Sixth street :hail: and still to this day listen to kgsr all the time on the internet or using the kgsr android app

TOMMYBOT

Reaction score
Sydman said:

Mee too!

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

Same here. I always do a factory reset before and after major updates (and even with some minor updates). With the exception of bugs that plague everyone, the vast majority of people would avoid many problems they have after an update if they'd take the time to do one. It rules out a multitude of potential problems.

Caesars

Reaction score
People still thinking ics is coming out this summer :-(.

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
I'll break with the crowd and say I'm not planning to do one. I went through multiple OS upgrades over two years with my D1, never did a "pre-emptive" factory reset, and never had any problems.

YellowJacket

Reaction score
IMHO, I will probably do a factory reset BEFORE I install ICS. This way, any settings or apps that may interfere with the upgrade will not be a factor.

I used to flash custom WM ROMS a lot and found that it made the process somewhat less problematic. Not comparing the two but it just seems like it would remove any variables that could cause problems.

David

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
good idea I never thought of doing a FR before the OTA

ps. I used to live off Bee Cave 2244 close to 71 in Austin about 5 years ago, I had to move because that place was too damn hot :mad: , but I loved Stubbs & Threadgills, going to Antones and seeing the Scabs and Bob Schneider, and hitting the bars on Sixth street :hail: and still to this day listen to kgsr all the time on the internet or using the kgsr android app

Yeah been here for 28 years now, only lived in upstate New York for a year and came back. It is too dang hot here though, going to be a rough summer I believe since the Winter was non existent.

rlarson_mn

Reaction score
With Google able to restore all of my data its holding as well as knowing which apps I own and which apps I currently have loaded doing a 'factory reset' just makes good sence IMHO. In addition all of my other non-google data are in excel, word or pdf files stored on BropBox or Box.net. Just got a Asus Transformer Prime and the iinstallation with ICS on it went smooth with no issues once everything did the automatic loadng and installation. Gotta love Android OS.