How do I do a soft reset with ICS?

DethDroid

Reaction score
Hi Boards...it's been a while and I hope everyone is doing well. I can't seem to find an answer to this question...how do I do a soft reset now that pwr/vol down is screen capture?
Also I have seen a lot of talk of doing factory resets after the update to clear up some of the glitches. Is this recommended? Will a factory reset harm my SD card and should I remove it first? I am having trouble figuring out how to get pictures I download/save from text messages to my SD card. My camera is set to store all pictures on the SD card but other stuff I am just not sure. I went into MyFiles and chose to move them but then I don't know where they moved to...I am really frustrated and confused lol so any help would be appreciated.

Caesars

Reaction score
It's still power/volume down ;)

Edit: the soft reset that is ^^

Googorola MAXX

Caesars

Reaction score
Just hold it longer hehe, it will work :)

Googorola MAXX

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Yeah hold it for 10 seconds, which can feel like a real long time.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
If you press volume down first, and then the power button you will bypass the screen shot. Just FYI

SallyC

Reaction score
Hi Boards...it's been a while and I hope everyone is doing well. I can't seem to find an answer to this question...how do I do a soft reset now that pwr/vol down is screen capture?
Also I have seen a lot of talk of doing factory resets after the update to clear up some of the glitches. Is this recommended? Will a factory reset harm my SD card and should I remove it first? I am having trouble figuring out how to get pictures I download/save from text messages to my SD card. My camera is set to store all pictures on the SD card but other stuff I am just not sure. I went into MyFiles and chose to move them but then I don't know where they moved to...I am really frustrated and confused lol so any help would be appreciated.

For the soft reset, if you keep getting a screenshot, try holding the power down button a second before you add the power button. Sometimes it just takes a little finagling.

When doing the FDR you should get a question about if you want to wipe the internal memory and also the external card. Also beware that the phone has two SD card directories: sdcard (internal memory) and sdcard-ext (your SD card). Some folks remove the external before doing a FDR to be sure nothing happens to it. I didn't and mine was okay, but you will want to be aware of this. If you have files installed and configured I'd make a back up on your pc of both directories as it may safe you some grief later on.

I find moving things with MyFiles frustrating. You might want to look at ES File Explorer. Once installed go to Menu>Settings>and check Up to Root. I also changed Home Directory to / so that I have access to all folders.

rosariorose9

Reaction score
Definitely recommend you do an FDR. I avoided doing it for quite a while (didn't want to go through the hassle of re-installing my apps), but I'm SO glad I finally did it. All of the problems I was having - including my Maxx's screen spontaneously turning on, and really poor battery life - totally resolved. My phone is now back to its original sterling self!!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
And if your going to do and fdr, do two..it will ensure a clean wipe and install..

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!