Are we Dead Yet (Root Users)?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
250x300.jpg

It was 5 years ago when this forum was plastered with ROMS and other development, so much so we held events (Holiday Theme Contests) to inspire and reward our developing members. But it seems like every year I find myself looking back to see that another reason to root is gone.

Being that rooting is what truly won me over and sparked my passion for android, this is partly a sobering moment for me, but also a proud moment to see how much Android has grown. As much as rooting has been a deciding factor in my choice of devices I can not find any more reasons that I need to root. It's amazing that manufacturers have spent years fighting the rooting community by locking bootloaders and voiding warranties and yet the way they have killed it was by providing answers to solve the reason why people rooted in the first place.

• Overclocking for faster performance: Google/Manufacturers answer by increasing the ram, adding more cores, and optimizing the software.
  • Themes: Google/Manufacturers answer by creating more attractive UIs and providing a theme option (whether via app or in the settings).
  • Titanium Backup: Google has answered with NFC restore and many apps store your data through their servers.
So as much as I have been a strong advocate of rooting I can no longer find a reason to root. My Nexus 5 running Project M has been running stock and when running side by side with my rooted Nexus 6 there is not one thing that I am doing differently where I find myself angry about it not being rooted.

The last barrier that needs to be overcome is getting even faster updates on non-Nexus devices and the ability to remove bloat permanently.

Those that still root are you still finding it a must to root or have you too found that the SU app sits in your app drawer as an ornament?

Last edited by a moderator:

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Far from dead my friend... Nexus for life.. Plenty of great phones without root.. and more customization is great to see across different brands .. But nothing like running software before it's official... And seeing the incredible work our development community is doing to better the experience on current OS.. Or making something a bit better than what the manufacturer releases.. It's like having that great sports car.. You know it runs well then your friend tweaks it and you feel that power and smoothness after you take it for a spin .. Yeah could I live without root... Definitely... But do I want to do it... No way! I had the Z3+ for 3 weeks... Non rooted.. smooth.. No issues mainly.. Then you miss the experience with root.. No ads, custom kernel...things like changing system DPI bc these phones come with fonts for the blind.. Lol
We might be quiet on the development front here... Bc I do notice it's not the same since the OG Droid days.. And Moto Droid X... But take a look at places like XDA.. And Google+... Customization to the fullest.. Phones with every option available for the users like myself... It's a piece of work... You don't need to flash a new ROM to appreciate it.. Android is for all... I respect those who wish to just go about with the norm... Enjoy your choice and if you have a doubt.. Switch it up... For me I like the view from the unlocked side... Ahhh Freedom!... Make Android your own....

NexusSix

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Every Google update makes me rely more and more on Xposed to revert settings/functions that worked just fine and intuitively for me.

Even with many updates done thru their Google Apps now, the simple fact is very few changes are better for everyone.

But roms never worked perfectly, either. I just wish I had the ability to run completely stock Android with root.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Every Google update makes me rely more and more on Xposed to revert settings/functions that worked just fine and intuitively for me.

Even with many updates done thru their Google Apps now, the simple fact is very few changes are better for everyone.

But roms never worked perfectly, either. I just wish I had the ability to run completely stock Android with root.

I was doing some research on Xposed earlier while I was writing this article. I was actually looking to open a thread here for the mods ....actually I believe @DroidModderX already did several times. But was wondering if Xposed ever got out of Beta mode.
[UNOFFICIAL] Xposed for Android 5.1 - v71 / 20150816 / SDK22

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I enjoy rooting still, but like kodiak mentioned, there was never a ROM that completely worked. Then again, has there really been an Android version that completely worked. I enjoy being able to tweak settings to my liking and as long as Google and manufacturers continue to trend in that direction, for me, rooting is slipping out of the realm of desire.

on the move..

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
My experience with Nexus 6 has been the opposite... I've flashed several ROMS with no issues and definite daily drivers.. Only reason I've moved over just to change it up... M preview 3 is running flawlessly now for a preview build... I've not had one reboot or issue with my apps.. Xposed is something I don't even bother with anymore.. You can get all the tweaks with custom setting.. Or as with M the support of RRO

NexusSix

Last edited:

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Haven't flashed a custom ROM in years though I still like to root my devices. Mainly for removing ads and some xposed modules.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
My experience with Nexus 6 has been the opposite... I've flashed several ROMS with no issues and definite daily drivers.. Only reason I've moved over just to change it up... M preview 3 is running flawlessly now for a preview build... I've not had one reboot or issue with my apps.. Xposed is something I don't even bother with anymore.. You can get all the tweaks with custom setting.. Or as with M the support of RRO

NexusSix
I should have noted that the only Nexus device I have owned was the GNex on Verizon, which I admit isn't a fair basis for judgement. That's one of my reasons for wanting a Nexus or stock Android device next go around. When you add a manufacturer skin to mix, I can imagine it's hard to get everything working, especially with slow source releases and locked up devices.

on the move..

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
While I continue to root, it's mainly to get rid of ads. It's been a couple years since I bothered flashing a ROM, simply because the need is no longer there. I no longer need to undervolt for longer battery life, or overclock for more speed. Customization options usually only available with root are now baked in or easily obtainable through the Play Store. I put Xposed on my rooted S5, but I'm not really utilizing it anymore. Having an unlocked bootloader no longer bothers me, as long as I can root to get rid of ads, I'm happy. That being said, there are now methods of removing ads that don't require root, so the reasons for root continue to dwindle dramatically each year. I do still appreciate having titanium backup for backing up my device, and often revert back to previous app versions when I'm not happy with a particular app update.
I really enjoyed flashing back in the day, but it sure is nice that I don't have to bother with it anymore.

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
Well, I've rooted every phone I had, starting with the OG Droid. Back in March I got the Note 4, and at first I didn't root because I read about tripping the Knox counter. After a while, I realized I didn't really need to root to do anything I needed to do. The only thing I do miss is having my Nexus 5 and flashing the newest OS as soon as it comes, or my tethering app that allowed unlimited tethering. Aside from those, I haven't felt the need to root since. But I'm sure if I get the latest Nexus, I'll root.

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
As a developer I just find it better to have root while I'm testing out applications. If I can find a way to develop an app that works without root I will, but initially it's just nice to have the option available. I still use Titanium Backup just because I'm familiar with it and have been using it so long I never bothered to look for alternative options. Since both my phone and tablet are Sony Xperia devices I've learned a trick to obtain updates when they become available and then add root into the update thereby ensuring I keep root across updates. When it comes to custom roms, however, I haven't used those since the first Droid device was launched on Verizon. It may be more psychological than anything else, but I always feel like my devices are crippled without root.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
The last phones I rooted were the Droid Maxx and RazrM. I went from those to the Note2. I kept thinking that eventually there would be a reason I'd want to root but the reason never happened. From there, it was the N3 and now the N5. I can't see that there will be a reason I'll feel the need to root. But, I also agree... I loved trying out new roms but they often came with a problem or two or were missing something. Still it was fun.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I'll have a Nexus as long as there are tablets made, and they are rooted, but like PC said, not for the same reasons as the beginning...

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

droidatar

Reaction score
As a developer I just find it better to have root while I'm testing out applications. If I can find a way to develop an app that works without root I will, but initially it's just nice to have the option available. I still use Titanium Backup just because I'm familiar with it and have been using it so long I never bothered to look for alternative options. Since both my phone and tablet are Sony Xperia devices I've learned a trick to obtain updates when they become available and then add root into the update thereby ensuring I keep root across updates. When it comes to custom roms, however, I haven't used those since the first Droid device was launched on Verizon. It may be more psychological than anything else, but I always feel like my devices are crippled without root.
I'm not a developer but I too feel my phone is crippled without root. I put off getting a new phone for a year like my S4, but son just went thru another droid so he will get my rooted S4 and I get my vzw note 4 tomorrow. Scouring the forums to find the root for note4 would like to keep original stock ROM, at least for a while.

If anyone can point me in the right direction it will be much appreciated.

ヅ Droidatar
(knows just enuf to brick it)
Rooted S4 MDK I545 stock 4.2.2

"If someone helps, never forget to hit thanks "