Here Is A Good Reason To Root Your Nexus 7! Sick [THEME] Glasstopia for Stock JB!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
1-1-183x300.png
3-1-183x300.png
8-183x300.png

With the Nexus 7 being a Google device we all knew that it would be super easy to unlock and hack just like it is supposed to be. It is a developer device! Even though this tablet is built with developers in mind and is meant to be unlocked and hacked I have been getting the question A TON "why should I unlock and root my Nexus tablet?". The reasoning that most folks give behind that question is "I mean it is a Nexus device right, and we are promised immediate updates when they are available right?". Another BIG reason that Android rooters decide to root in the first place is free tethering. I have to admit in the beginning that was the main thing that I was interested in when I decided to root my DroidX. Being that this is a Wifi only device tethering wouldn't justify rooting. The fact is there is so much more to rooting and modding than free tethering and leaked android updates! For one rooting gives you total access to all parts of your phone, including read write access that you otherwise wouldn't have. This gives us the ability to replace system apps (like the system browser on the Nexus 7 that doesn't support flash!) Also we can use all sorts of root apps. When the Original Droid first came out it was very common for folks to root their device simply to overclock the cpu. These days the processors in our phones out match laptops in some cases. For the most part there isn't the need to overclock, but we can if we want to! We can use apps like Titanium Backup to backup all of our important files and data (this could come in handy if we wanted to try a Rom or to restore data to a new phone). There are so many things that we can do with Root access.

One of my favorite reasons to root is customization. With root and a custom recovery we can mod just about every aspect of the UI and framework of android. Themes provide a whole new look and feel to your device the instant you flash them. Themes are one of the coolest thing that you can do with root that your apple fanboy buddies won't easily be able to do on their idevices! Some really nice themes are beginning to come out for the Nexus 7!

Glastopia by Developer "MWBehr" was developed specifically for the stock rom. You don't even have to install a custom Rom to apply it! Simply unlock the bootloader, root, and install the custom recovery to apply this theme. This theme comes all Cyaned out! Most of the images and Icons have been customized, It has custom wallpapers, Accurate battery icons, animated notification icons, translucent menu, translucent contacts, translucent settings, translucent gmail, translucent music, translucent google now, themed lockscreen, themed nav bar, and more! This Theme looks great. It is definitely worth the small amount of effort to Root for a theme like this!

You can find this theme via XDA

f
or more Nexus7 mods check out Nexustablets.net

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
One of the primary benefits to rooting this particular tablet is the ability to mount external storage using a USB OTG cable.