Are there any apps out there that can restore my phones auto rotate feature,

chrisbooth12

Reaction score
Yes apparently this was a bug, and my phone no longer auto rotates. It used to rotate to matter what way i was holding it but now it only goes into landscape mode if the keyboad is open. I want to go back to how it was. There are no Droid2 ROMs yet so are there any hacks or apps? I know the Panda Theme can do this but I was hoping to not run soemthing to boggy like that, cant it takes away my call and contacts button, any help?

SpykeZ

Reaction score
launcher pro is a widely used home replacement, it'll speed your phone up a lot too :D It'll allow you to hold your phone anyway you want. The phones option to auto rotate will conflict with launcher pro's auto rotate though, one controls the home screen while the other seems to control the apps.

I have the phone auto rotate option turned on, this allows my apps to rotate but I have it turned off on launcher pro so my home screen doesn't rotate, I hate pulling out my phone and having to wait for the screen to rotate for me to do what I want.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes apparently this was a bug, and my phone no longer auto rotates. It used to rotate to matter what way i was holding it but now it only goes into landscape mode if the keyboad is open. I want to go back to how it was. There are no Droid2 ROMs yet so are there any hacks or apps? I know the Panda Theme can do this but I was hoping to not run soemthing to boggy like that, cant it takes away my call and contacts button, any help?

It's not a bug, it's something that is malfunctioning on your phone. I wouldn't put in a launcher, I'd take it to Verizon and get a new one specially if you are in your first 30 days.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I second the take it back notion, the bug might get worse and things on the D2 are not as easily solved as they are on the Original D

Syraz

Reaction score
if settings-display-check auto rotate stops working, then something wrong with phone and you should take it to verizon...IMO

pool_shark

Reaction score
You're saying it doesn't auto rotate even in the apps, or that it doesn't auto rotate on the home screen?

There are people who have stated that their home screens did rotate to landscape with the keyboard in. Is that what you're referring to?

Could it be that you have installed an app that is interfering?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You're saying it doesn't auto rotate even in the apps, or that it doesn't auto rotate on the home screen?

There are people who have stated that their home screens did rotate to landscape with the keyboard in. Is that what you're referring to?

Using the stock launcher the home screen does not go into landscape unless you pull out the keyboard. At least mine never has.

pool_shark

Reaction score

Using the stock launcher the home screen does not go into landscape unless you pull out the keyboard. At least mine never has.

Mine never has either, but there are many people who state theirs did and now doesn't. Just because mine never did doesn't give me a reason to doubt the others.

Syraz

Reaction score
Stock launcher has this feature under settings - display so phone will auto rotate w/o keyboard out.

pool_shark

Reaction score
Stock launcher has this feature under settings - display so phone will auto rotate w/o keyboard out.

There are more people stating the home screen DOES NOT rotate unless the keyboard is out than there are saying that it does.
My home screen has never rotated unless the keyboard is out, we aren't talking about within apps, that works just fine, we are only talking about the home screen.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

There are more people stating the home screen DOES NOT rotate unless the keyboard is out than there are saying that it does.
My home screen has never rotated unless the keyboard is out, we aren't talking about within apps, that works just fine, we are only talking about the home screen.

The ones that say their stock home screen would rotate without opening the keyboard are mistaken. That has been a "feature" of vanilla android since day one. Most home replacements and custom roms have the option, but never stock.

pool_shark

Reaction score

The ones that say their stock home screen would rotate without opening the keyboard are mistaken. That has been a "feature" of vanilla android since day one. Most home replacements and custom roms have the option, but never stock.

My girlfriend played with the Sprint Epic at best buy, that is Android, she said the home screen rotates.

OP
C

chrisbooth12

Reaction score

I am not mistaken..The home screen would in fact rotate anyway I held my phone without the keyboard out (horizontal, upside down, every direction. I used to be able to type in landscape mode with the phone upside down so the keyboard would slide UP) . I AM NOT MISTAKEN. There was an OTA update that "fixed" this "bug". Even Verizon Promo videos show this being a cabability. I am not mistaken. Apps still rotate but the homescreen only does with the keyboard out. This is stupid and needs to get fixed on the next update.

I know I am not mistaken, in fact. I am willing to bet anyone on this board money that I am not who wants to take that bet? I have a paypal account and stock ROM and a video camera , who is up for the bets? Many people are complaining about this, it is very possible you never noticed, or your DROID was updated before you even got it? This was there stock though and is driving me crazy.

In fact other boards have suggested solutions of putting a small magnent. Right by the SD card to make your DROID think it is in a dock and turn this back on. This is cause of an OTA update

EDIT: BTW I have had this phone less than a WEEK I am not mistaken, many other people on many other boards are having this problem. I asked for an app not to be told I was crazy when many other people are having the same problem.. After I restored stock from a bad flash it was back only to go away within a few minutes.

Last edited:

SpykeZ

Reaction score

Same here, this was pretty much a determined thing that happened since 2.1 and forward that the home doesn't rotate unless you pull out the keyboard unless you were in an app

OP
C

chrisbooth12

Reaction score
Weird because I had 2.2 out of the box and there was an update I did apply but I am not sure when I noticed it was not working..But like I said this is a known "bug" even though Verizon said they "fixed" it that way.. To me it seems they took something away. Launcher Pro seems to work for me pretty well.

And Super Moderator Sam are you willing to take that bet? $50 bucks how does that sound? I bet you that my DROID2 will rotate its homescreen into landscape mode without the keyboard out. Wanna take that bet? I am just glad I did a backup of the stock ROM :)