Are smart watches dead?

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
battery life should be over two days. I know that is how long mine last. however if you keep the face on, you would lucky it would last 8 hours :)

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
With the Face Always On option on my Moto 360 2nd Gen, Moto 360 Sport and the original LG G Watch I can and could easily get through a normal day off the charger (off at 5 - 6 AM and back on the charger at 22:00 / 10 PM).

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
With the Face Always On option on my Moto 360 2nd Gen, Moto 360 Sport and the original LG G Watch I can and could easily get through a normal day off the charger (off at 5 - 6 AM and back on the charger at 22:00 / 10 PM).

`

I guess it really depends on the face you use as to how long it lasts in the alway on mode. I have the s2 and it does have a lower power mode face but I did not care for it.

with the face off, I stick it on the charger every two days. every once in a while I get surprised and have to put it on the charger after a day.

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Wow 2 day charging? I'm happy that my Garmin Fenix 3HR has just enough smarts to keep me happy. I get week out of a charge with 3 GPS runs...or 2 weeks if I've been lazy.

Sent from my ZenPad using Tapatalk

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Since I have never slept with my watch on (even in the 30 years of watch wearing before smart watches) I am OK with an all day watch. As long as it can get me through a normal day and not die, I don't mind throwing it in the charger every night while I sleep. One of the reasons I like Moto 360's is the charging / night stand mode. My watch is my night light / night clock on my night stand so I know what time it is when I wake up at all hours of the night.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Wow 2 day charging? I'm happy that my Garmin Fenix 3HR has just enough smarts to keep me happy. I get week out of a charge with 3 GPS runs...or 2 weeks if I've been lazy.

Sent from my ZenPad using Tapatalk

as long as the power lasts while I am wearing it, I do not need the long charge. it is similar to watches you used to have to wind every day years ago.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
`

I guess it really depends on the face you use as to how long it lasts in the alway on mode. I have the s2 and it does have a lower power mode face but I did not care for it.

That's a good point. There are watch faces that look pretty decent, but "always on" still defaults to a powersaving ambient mode where it fails at whatever feeble attempt it makes to look like a real watch. There are probably better options - I haven't looked in a while.

The Moto 360 Sport I had did a decent job with it's ambient mode of faking it, turning it on when you tilted your wrist to look at it. But if I was just sitting there it used to annoy me when I looked down at a blank screen on my watch.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
The Moto 360 2ND Gen Ambient Mode is nice, I can easily and clearly see the time in Ambient Mode....even in bright daylight. My watch screen only lights up to full display when I lift or flick my wrist.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
That's a good point. There are watch faces that look pretty decent, but "always on" still defaults to a powersaving ambient mode where it fails at whatever feeble attempt it makes to look like a real watch. There are probably better options - I haven't looked in a while.

The Moto 360 Sport I had did a decent job with it's ambient mode of faking it, turning it on when you tilted your wrist to look at it. But if I was just sitting there it used to annoy me when I looked down at a blank screen on my watch.

the flick of the wrist works pretty good for me. My screen also turns on when receiving notifications. One thing, I keep waiting to be pulled over at night when driving and the light on the watch [pops on. afraid a cop might think I am using my phone while driving :)

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
the flick of the wrist works pretty good for me.

It did or it does. But I don't really like having to flick my wrist to see things. Plus, I really want something that stays on so it will LOOK more like a real watch and not a smartwatch with a dead battery.

I'm sure there are some watchfaces that do this well. I could live with the battery drain - I'm only looking to get 16-18 hours, anyway, with some decent GPS usage. Haven't really put my new watch thru all the paces (got a BT smart lock though, and it's so fricking cool to walk up to it and touch to unlock thanks to the BT on my watch).

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
battery life should be over two days. I know that is how long mine last. however if you keep the face on, you would lucky it would last 8 hours :)
I think I figured it out, I still had mobile data turned on and I was up in the mountains where cell phone signal is hopeless. So it got stuck roaming, but this device isn't even on my plan. So I turned it off and standby time is better of course.

So far I like I can see what notification I'm getting without pulling out my phone and whether it's worth responding to immediately or not. Nice to not have my phone in my pocket either when I'm washing a car or something and can rely on the watch to show me what's going on.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I think I figured it out, I still had mobile data turned on and I was up in the mountains where cell phone signal is hopeless. So it got stuck roaming, but this device isn't even on my plan. So I turned it off and standby time is better of course.

So far I like I can see what notification I'm getting without pulling out my phone and whether it's worth responding to immediately or not. Nice to not have my phone in my pocket either when I'm washing a car or something and can rely on the watch to show me what's going on.
And that's why I started wearing one, and still do.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
it was an interesting article. there is still one big reason not to, most are still too cotton pickin big.

The bezel on some, like my Huawei, is too big...which makes the face actually a little smaller than many watches....otherwise width you're talking 45mm vs. 42/43mm in many cases.

Other than being a little thick, and the oversized bezel, I don't think my Huawei is too big, at all.