Are smart watches dead?

Discussion in 'Watches (Android Wear, Tizen/Samsung, etc)' started by Sajo, Aug 9, 2017.

1. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +992
    It did or it does. But I don't really like having to flick my wrist to see things. Plus, I really want something that stays on so it will LOOK more like a real watch and not a smartwatch with a dead battery.

I'm sure there are some watchfaces that do this well. I could live with the battery drain - I'm only looking to get 16-18 hours, anyway, with some decent GPS usage. Haven't really put my new watch thru all the paces (got a BT smart lock though, and it's so fricking cool to walk up to it and touch to unlock thanks to the BT on my watch).

2. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,672
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    I think I figured it out, I still had mobile data turned on and I was up in the mountains where cell phone signal is hopeless. So it got stuck roaming, but this device isn't even on my plan. So I turned it off and standby time is better of course.

So far I like I can see what notification I'm getting without pulling out my phone and whether it's worth responding to immediately or not. Nice to not have my phone in my pocket either when I'm washing a car or something and can rely on the watch to show me what's going on.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Sajo

Sajo Diamond Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +10,611
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Z2 Force
    And that's why I started wearing one, and still do.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

4. Sajo

Sajo Diamond Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +10,611
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Z2 Force
  5. me just sayin

me just sayin Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +4,697
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 8
    it was an interesting article. there is still one big reason not to, most are still too cotton pickin big.

6. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +992
    The bezel on some, like my Huawei, is too big...which makes the face actually a little smaller than many watches....otherwise width you're talking 45mm vs. 42/43mm in many cases.

Other than being a little thick, and the oversized bezel, I don't think my Huawei is too big, at all.

7. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +992
    Android Pay is a surprisingly convenient feature.
    Fitness was a huge selling point for me (leave my phone at home, and still have my music and ability to track my sets).
    Opening my door with a bluetooth lock was really the key [ummm, no pun intended!] to leaving everything else home.

I opted not to get the LTE version. But there have been times I wish I could make a call or hail a cab - didn't feel like paying $5 extra per month for a feature I'd rather not use.

8. xeene

xeene Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,145
    Try Huawei smartwatch 1.0 from couple years ago. It's one of the smallest and me and my wife wear them. My tag heuer link was larger then Huawei.

9. CTownDroid

CTownDroid Gold Member

Ratings:
    +396
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P
    The Huwaei is definitely a nice sized watch if you're looking for small. However, I don't find the Gear S3 Frontier to be too big. I see people with standard watches larger than the Gear without the versatility.

Love Samsung pay

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  10. me just sayin

me just sayin Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +4,697
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 8
    I have the gear s2 classic. I liked the round back because it helps hide the thickness. I mainly got it for Samsung pay though I do not use it as often as when I first got it. wish my bank would use samsung pay or even android pay. they are a bit behind the times.

11. Sajo

Sajo Diamond Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +10,611
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Z2 Force
  12. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +6,888
    The reality is that smartphones killed smart watches as the point of a watch is to know the time, but we have our phones in our hands most of the time and with always on or breathing displays we just have to look down at our phones to see the time.

The only watches that seem to have captured the market for the most part are the fitness watches.

Here is something else that's ironic, we say fragmentation is hurting Google but i think lack of fragmentation killed Google watches. Without any way to distinguish themselves they all looked the same. I think if the watches were opened up to sense or other custom software, manufactures could have paired it with their latest phone with custom software to interact with a particular phone.

Overall smartwatches ran into a number of obstacles and though Apple watch will survive, Google watch will need to find ways to get people interested. Unfortunately it may be too late but they could always open it to where you buy s phone and get free watch. That will at least get them in more hands and boost the chances people will wear them.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
Search tags for this page

are smart watches dead