Are smart watches dead?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Interesting article. Curious to hear what the members of this forum think. Still wearing your smart watch? Think Google is going in the right direction? Do you see a future for Android Wear? I have always been a watch guy, and have been wearing a smart watch for about 2 1/2 years and don't see myself going back to a regular watch anytime soon. But I do wonder if companies will keep making them if sales are so poor.

Smartwatches are still going nowhere

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yes, mine is dead - charging right now ;)

No, people don't want Apple watches, they want Apple products because the elites and wannabes still care about signaling "I have enough money to waste on this mostly useless tech".

I actually have really enjoyed my watch for fitness, when I can find the motivation. Although I'm generally very disappointed in the heart rate monitor (all wrist-based opticals are pretty lousy), and the GPS seems like it could be better. There is also at least one really good weightlifting app, and with BT headphones I can leave the wallet and keys at home (the absolute #1 reasons I got a smartwatch)....with NFC being a nice bonus when I want to grab a drink or some fruit at the store after a run.

But I wish it looked, or could look, like a more refined timepiece. I do feel a little foolish looking wearing it to work. In that respect, I think Google is on the absolute right track partnering with premium watchmakers. Except if it's not a full fitness featured watch, IMO it's a non-starter - why else would I pay hundreds for a lousy digital watchface just because I'm too lazy to pick-up my phone for a text?

Ardeleon09

Reaction score
I've recently purchased a replacement smart watch since my old one, which was a hand me down from my wife, started to act up. I did a lot of research and came so close to pulling the trigger on a Pebble from Amazon. After much debate I just ended up purchasing the same model as my previous smartwatch. Garmin vivosmart hr, it does everything I care for and I love the display since I can see it in direct sunlight. The activity tracking is just an added feature to me and not the sole purpose of my decision.

BigNunz6

Reaction score
Nope. Love my S3. I have many regular watches that i wear on different occasions. My smart watch i wear every day.(=

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I know that we all have our preferences and expect different things from our tech, but this is my two cents.

The whole concept of a smart watch seems to have been forgotten, or maybe I just didn't understand it from the beginning. To act as an additional Notification panel for your phone...help us keep our faces out of our phones so much and enjoy the world around us. And still be able to stay connected with important notifications. That's why I bought one, and what I want a smart watch to do. Tell me the time, with cool watch faces that I pick and customize, and be a secondary Notification system. And of course have some basic fitness functionality built in. I'm not sure where Google was headed with AW 2.0 but I'm not sure they "got it right". I'm not saying AW 2.0 is bad, just maybe overly complicated for folks that are not already familiar with the Android Wear platform. It's just my thoughts, and I know others want their watch to be more of a stand-alone device so they don't need their phones on them all the time.

JandN2639

Reaction score
Yes, mine is dead - charging right now ;)

No, people don't want Apple watches, they want Apple products because the elites and wannabes still care about signaling "I have enough money to waste on this mostly useless tech.

I take exception to this. I got an iPhone several years ago on a boss' recommendation, and I love it.

However, I will not buy any type of smartwatch: the tiny screen doesn't work for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Let's all try to keep this on topic....smart watches. Do we wear them and what do we expect from them.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
smart watches are not dead. just that the current design is still scaring a lot of people away from getting one. a lot of models still look like boxes on the wrist. I do not think they will really take off until they get smaller.

I have a Samsung Gear s2 classic that I got almost 2 years ago. I picked it because the back is round giving it a thinner look. I do not plan to get another for a few more years.

I basically got the watch for notifications. It is great to be able to see who is calling, messaging, and emailing me without having to pull out the phone. It also will send me a snapshot when there is motion on my dropcam. In addition, it is great when alexa sends me my shopping list making it very convenient to check as I shop.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I still have my original Moto watch and use it occasionally... I use my Apple watch almost everyday.. convenience is my main use for these watches.. I can jump out the car leave my wallet and pay with my watch.. In a meeting at work not picking up the phone checking messages or email.. I'm waiting to see improvement across the board...

Sent using Tapatalk

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I still have my original Moto watch and use it occasionally... I use my Apple watch almost everyday.. convenience is my main use for these watches.. I can jump out the car leave my wallet and pay with my watch.. In a meeting at work not picking up the phone checking messages or email.. I'm waiting to see improvement across the board...

Sent using Tapatalk

samsung pay comes in handy on my watch too :- I have used it a few times though not as much as I thought I would.

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think there dead at all. I bet nearly half the people I see at the gym have one.

bestsmstracker

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Zony Xperia Z3
I purchase my smart watch last year. I wear my smart watch every time I go to my jogging. And still alive ;)

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I see a lot of people wearing Apple watches (and Fitbits) but not too many Android watches. I am certainly not saying that smart watches are dead, and hope that they are not. I would like to keep wearing them as long as they are around. I have yet to see anyone wearing one of the new LG watches released last year, the first with AW 2.0. Don't remember seeing any posts here from anyone that bought one either.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I have yet to see anyone wearing one of the new LG watches released last year, the first with AW 2.0. Don't remember seeing any posts here from anyone that bought one either.

I lost my Moto 360 Sport, so I waited and bought the Huawei Watch 2 Classic. It's a little better looking, smoother and has NFC. I debated buying a used [much cheaper] Moto 360, but decided NFC might be worth it, and not knowing if the 360 Sport would ever get AW2.0.

I also thought about a Polar M600 running AW2.0. IMO, that is probably the watch for hardcore fitness. But no NFC, and rubber straps look horrible.

I really think smartwatches are simply following the curve of Android in its early stages. Tech trickles out and the OEM's fall into group think believing that people won't pay $50-$100 extra to get everything, so almost all models involve some sort of trade-off.

And most of the outdoor enthusiasts still seem to gravitate toward Polar or Garmin watches because they are simply better at the fitness features than Apple or Android. If TAG would knock it out of the park on design and partner with a Garmin or Polar for a full-featured watch, I'd be willing to pay for it.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I just got a gear s2 watch from a friend of mine last night since he hadn't used it in a long while now. Was payment for fixing up a computer for him. Been wearing it a bit this morning and am not too impressed with battery life, but I've been using it alot more than one probably would too I bet. Updating software right now but it seems pretty cool so far.