apps just opening for no reason

cvogie

Reaction score
I've had my driod since April and I've noticed that when I open my task killer there are apps on there that I don't even use on a regular basis or apps that have come on the phone that I have no use for...Is there anything I can do to stop that from happening? I've also noticed it's gotten worse since 2.2 has been put on my phone...The task killer I have is Advanced Task Killer not sure if that helps anyone...please let me know if there's a fix. The other day I had to charge my phone from dead two times...

thanks!

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
I've had my driod since April and I've noticed that when I open my task killer there are apps on there that I don't even use on a regular basis or apps that have come on the phone that I have no use for...Is there anything I can do to stop that from happening? I've also noticed it's gotten worse since 2.2 has been put on my phone...The task killer I have is Advanced Task Killer not sure if that helps anyone...please let me know if there's a fix. The other day I had to charge my phone from dead two times...

thanks!
Can you tell us which apps are constantly opening?? Some are suppose to keep running like that(might not be anything wrong with your phone at all) within the operating system. Also task killers, err...very debatable subject in terms of their effectiveness and purpose. Search about them on here. There's countless discussions.
And there are some custom roms which allow you to remove some of those apps that you probably have no use for but you have to root your phone. You can check that out too as well but it's a bit of a process..like I said certain apps just always run and it's not a bug.

wricks

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd uninstall ATK and see if that helps. The problem is that it keeps killing apps (like it should) but the improved(?) OS loads them back almost as fast. All that takes power. The memory management in 2.2 is supposed to be better and eliminate the need for task killers.

OP
C

cvogie

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll give that a try and see what happeneds...Other than rooting, do you have any other suggestions if that doesn't work??

OP
C

cvogie

Reaction score
TuBitMittens~

The apps that are constantly opening are voice search, photobucket, Amazon MP3, Key Ring, Visual VM, Voice dialer, News and Weather, and a few others that I'm not seeing at the moment...

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
Do not use any kind of Task Killers. They are not needed and are the biggest battery killers known. Also, I have seen with the use of Task Killers nothing but continued problems. The Droids are built in such a way that a task killer really is not needed. If you delete your task killer I think you will notice better battery life and have less issues with your droid.

G

gatewayad

the majority of those are set to start on boot they run in the background and most use no battery or cpu until you need them. There is a program called AutorunKiller on the market that will let you disable some of the processes that automatically start on boot. It also shows all the programs that are set to start on boot. I wouldnt mess with any of the system settings but the user apps you can and should disable. give it a try see what you think.
PS I agree don't use a task killer just a waste of time on android

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
TuBitMittens~

The apps that are constantly opening are voice search, photobucket, Amazon MP3, Key Ring, Visual VM, Voice dialer, News and Weather, and a few others that I'm not seeing at the moment...
It's normal for the voicemail apps as well as news and weather and amazon mp3 to always run, or at least for me. not sure about photobucket and key ring though. don't use those two.

OP
C

cvogie

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! Since I've removed the task killer i haven't had any issues!