corporate calendar always running

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by aka_rob, Nov 8, 2009.

1. aka_rob

aka_rob New Member

every time I open advanced task killer i notice the corporate calendar is running.. I've never used it. anyone else notice this. I'm not sure how big of a deal it is, but its weird none the less..
  2. Droider

Droider New Member

I get the same thing. You can kill Corporate Calendar but then it reloads automatically in less than a minute. I do have an exchange email account setup but within Corporate Calendar I unchecked My Calendar. Even with that, apparently the app wants to run to keep my nonsyncing calendar in sync.
  3. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

no worries with tasks running in the background. It will drive you nuts always sutting them down and then 2 minutes later they are up again. Linux does a really good job of memory management so you don't have to worry about anything slowing the device down.

Leave it be. The device will be fine : )
  4. mrpbjnance

mrpbjnance New Member

I agree thiss should not be running all the time..doesn't it use up battery? There should be a way to turn it off.. also alarm clock I don't need...
  5. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

Though we may not have to worry about memory management, it does seem odd that it reloads quite often, another weird one is that if you lock the screen and then undo it, then of the apps reappear, like they were never shut down completely.
  6. Dream

Dream New Member

What I don't understand is every time you use an app, its stays running in the background, every time. You have to use an app to kill it off. Is this the way the OS is designed? Seems very inefficient to me.
  7. justchilln

justchilln New Member

I agree, I don't care if Android does a good job of managing memory, this is one less program it wouldn't have to deal with at all... We need more control over our apps, some kind of toggle that allows you decide if you want the program to auto update or what not.. It just pisses me off when I see apps running that I don't use or need at the moment.... Also I have heard the argument that the android OS manages memory well that it will not matter, I call BS on the grounds that as soon as I close out all the apps that clogging up my RAM, I see a drastic improvement in the laggy navigation that constantly occurs when there are 20 or so apps in the BKG....
  8. kdn102

kdn102 New Member

I'm seeing the same thing as justchillin. If the Droid seems sluggish I will go to a task manager and find less than 40M of memory free. I kill everything and then it's running as smooth as a reset.

There is a problem with that however. The first time I kill apps I see approximately 110MB free. Each additional kill drops the total free by a few MB. Over a few days it drops below 80MB and the sluggishness becomes more frequent.

Do I smell a memory leak?

I found someone recommending you reboot the Droid every few days...that's complete and utter BS. Something needs to be done about that.
  9. williamsj91

williamsj91 New Member

Ya know I noticed that less meg thing after a couple days. I also noticed depending what task killer you use, the show different apps running. So Advanced Task Manager, Cleanoid full, and Advanced Task Killer all show different but some are similar. Between all I can get over 100, but kinda messy don't ya think.
  10. JayMonster

JayMonster New Member

I've noticed that people that use ATK have far more memory issues than those that don't. Honestly, I'm starting to think that the "cure" is worse than the alleged "problem"
  11. rodolo

rodolo New Member

Is there an app to Control what app starts up? Like a startup manager?
  12. kdn102

kdn102 New Member

I would love to agree with you but I only downloaded the app to solve a problem...my Droid was running very slow and wasn't responding to key presses properly. Hell today right before I did a factory reset it was taking THREE seconds to respond to key presses on the on screen keyboard!

If it weren't for my phone getting slower day by day I wouldn't care how much memory I have free. I've been seeing a consistent repeatable loss of memory and responsiveness.

I have installed very few apps since my reset this afternoon and I will hold off on installing anything else for a few days to see if the pattern repeats.
  13. bots

bots New Member

From my experience, the only way a task killer is gonna help at all, is if you have a badly written app, or an app designed for a previous android build hogging memory (or leaking it). Then the task killer will obviously speed up your phone. Single that app out and uninstall it, then ditch the task killer or you're gonna drive yourself nuts trying to do what android does by itself automatically.
  14. marsha12151

marsha12151 New Member

The app is called:

Startup Auditor by vesperaNovus

Free in the Market. I stopped the corporate calendar, the alarm clock, and several others that I do not use from starting. Simple to use and does what it says it will do.
  15. kdn102

kdn102 New Member

It's showing $.99 for me...but it may be worth it to keep some things from running and narrow down a memory leak.

Thanks for that.
  16. jkayner

jkayner New Member

i use it also, it just doesn't make sense why almost EVERY application starts up when the phone is rebooted...
  17. bmccall17

bmccall17 New Member

Corporate Calendar specifically..

I did find this:
    Home>Menu>Settings>Applications>Running Services>Corporate Calendar is one of the running services that I stopped. But grrrrr.. the Corp Calendar started up on a reboot!!

This did not kill the Corp Calendar from showing up in my running applications in ATK nor ATM but it did seem to slow it down.

I also looked at the Startup Auditor, but was not comfortable with the mixed reviews on an app that must be purchased.

The Market reviews need to be dated and UPDATED when the new version of the product is released. If nothing new has been done to the app, then fine, leave the comments... but when we are talking about a new release it is important
  18. kdn102

kdn102 New Member

I have an update.

The other day after the factory reset, and subsequent application installations, the task manager showed around 95MB of memory free. It was in the mid 90's...I can't recall the exact number.

Yesterday I noticed I was down to about 84MB free after killing any running apps (minus the alarm clock). Today it's now down to 74MB free.

So far I haven't noticed any responsiveness issues, but that is par for the course. The first time I ever ran the task manager, which was because my phone was dog slow, it reported 48MB of free memory. So I suspect it will take another day or two to reach that point.

The only apps I have installed since the reset are: CalWidget, MyBackup, Vexed & Advanced Task Killer. It's possible that CalWidget has a memory leak since that was also installed before I starting having memory issues. When I start having response issues I will perform another factory reset and only install MyBackup & Advanced Task Killer.
  19. kdn102

kdn102 New Member

2.01 fixes this, I think

Well, today I was just curious what my memory levels were so I fired up the task manager and saw 68MB free. Oddly enough a few hours later it jumped back up to 91MB free. So, I am convinced that at least part of it was due to a 3rd party application that was eating memory.

I just had the OTA update pushed to me, so I installed it. When it first booted I had about 15 apps listed in the task manager....but it showed 101MB free. So I killed them all and there was no change in the memory allocated. My guess is this is the result of the "Battery life is improved." fix in the 2.01 release. It's hard to say what they did to improve this. It could have been that the OS was not properly freeing resources when an application was killed or they could have somehow improved how non-running processes use memory. I'm guessing it's the latter. That's the only way to explain how I had 15 applications showing up in the task manager after a reboot and not taking up any memory while still being responsive.

So unless my phone starts getting slow again I am going to consider it fixed.
  20. sullfam

sullfam New Member

You keep mentioning, "Task Manager" in your post in December. What Task manager did you finally land with?

Marty