Application Question

GreenAcid

Reaction score
So I know 2.1 is coming soon. I've Payed for a LOT of applications, themes on my phone. I was wondering when 2.1 is released, will they no longer work until an update is made for them?

like Open Home, Beautiful Widgets, TwitDroid, etc?

Thanks

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
So I know 2.1 is coming soon. I've Payed for a LOT of applications, themes on my phone. I was wondering when 2.1 is released, will they no longer work until an update is made for them?

like Open Home, Beautiful Widgets, TwitDroid, etc?

Thanks

It depends upon the application but in general the answer is the great majority will not require an update in order to function normally. Depending on the actual content of the 2.1 update, some apps may be updated to take advantage of additional functionality supported by the operating system but that's up to the individual developer. And of course some applications may be redundant or less appealing if 2.1 provides functionality that duplicates an app that was written for the previous version of the o/s.

In general, it's in no one's interest (Google, Motorola, Verizon, or the consumer) to introduce an operating system upgrade the breaks existing applications. And since the Android O/S is based on Linux, its philosophy is to keep its mitts off application functionality and protect the O/S from applications messing with its functionality.

There's no ironclad rule about this sort of thing, but usually a version update of an o/s that has the same first number, e.g. "2.xx" is designed to run all applications written for that major release. It's only when the major release number changes e.g. "3.xx" that questions about application compatibility arise.

Last edited: