Best application for more screens

circsmonky

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
been using helix now, i like it better than home++ since the bottom buttons are customizable. plus it uses live wall papers.

tkoehler

Reaction score
Also like the double-tap on the screen and it will show all 7 screens you can choose from, instead of sliding the screens....one feature i wish it had, which Home++ has, is the ability to loop thru the screens, endless going in one direction or the other...but i guess thats why they have the double tap...

MontyMo

Reaction score
+1+1 for DxTop

For me DxTop is the only app that doesn't appear to slow down my phone.
In addition to the five screens and the extra row of icons on the mail screens, the app drawer can me organized. And oh ya, you get a screen capture tool too.

dxtop.jpg

athack

Reaction score
got to say its dxtop for me... tried most of the replacements dxtop has had the least f/c and doesnt seem to lag on my phone anyways... love that you can add the 5 apps in the launcher bar on the bottom and that you can catagorize your apps and add your custom dxtop folders

behemmer

Reaction score
Anyone using ExtendedHome? Been using it a couple of days now with 2.1 (not rooted). Been stable. No real lag. So far Live Wallpaper is working. Allows a much closer spacing of icons on the home screens. Says up to 10 screens. I've been using 4 and 5.

zosoaudo007

Reaction score
Used Open Home for a while. It was very nice. It force closed about once a day. Never a big issue. My only huge gripes with Open Home were that the icons were never as sharp and high res as other Android icons. I couldn't stand looking at the fuzzy contacts icon next to a crisp and clear icon. It force closed often. And it was INCREDIBLY slow. I dealt with it thinking it was just my phone...it wasn't. Open Home slowed things down by at least 50%. Opening the app drawer, swiping between home screens, opening apps. All suffered because of open home.

I switched to helix (which is free. I have decided I won't pay for any more apps unless it is a nice utility app), and have not looked back. Helix runs great on my Droid! Only issue is that it FC's once in a while.

Slipstream

Reaction score
Just tried the ClockworkMod Launcher (new on the market!) and I love it. It's exactly what the 2.1 update should have included; 5 screens, the Helix-esque drawer with 3D scrolling, Live Wallpaper support, and nothing else. It's incredibly stable on a bone-stock ESE81 ROM too.

The only drawbacks so far - it's a bit big/slow. Even with LWs turned off, it's noticeably laggier than Home++ or Helix (although this is only the first iteration). BetterCut also doesn't work quite right; the shortcuts work and pull in the icon, but don't re-size properly and look a little odd.

If Koush can make a few tweaks I see this being my new, permanent launcher.

NullifiedKnight

Reaction score
I'm gonna have to go with HelixLauncher. The forceclose loop only seems to happen if A: You try and reduce the number of screens without deleting the icons on the extra screens, and B: You have HelixLauncher set as primary.

EDIT: Both A and B at once, just to straighten that up.

Riley

Reaction score
I've been using GDE with a theme and 5 screens for a while. Sometimes it lags, but otherwise it's been ok. I'm tempted to try DX or Helix though.

Bennyfuld

Reaction score
I've also started using ClockworkMod launcher, and I love it. I switched from Helix Launcher because I like having a few contacts on my home screen and Helix messed up the shortcut links. 5 Screens, 3d launcher, no noticeable lag for me. beautiful widgets and LWP work great on it.

-Ben

BzB

Reaction score
a vote for home ++. it's stable and has features like continuous scrolling, screen switcher, up to 7 home screens, and the power strip which also has useful tools. free!

these home replacement apps have a good amount of different features that require each user to try the apps out and decide for themselves if it fits their needs.

lumpysherman

Reaction score
Personally, I don't recommend any homescreen replacements. I've used most of them (didn't try dxtop because it costs and the reviews suggest tons of force closes), and they all make my droid lag...even when I am overclocked.

Helix LOOKED like it had potential, but it got in the constant force close loop. I've heard people mention this on Helix2, but it definitely can happen on Helix1 as well.
So does Helix Launcher have any lag? I am using 2.1 stock with no overclocking.

vonfink13

Reaction score
Personally, I don't recommend any homescreen replacements. I've used most of them (didn't try dxtop because it costs and the reviews suggest tons of force closes), and they all make my droid lag...even when I am overclocked.

Helix LOOKED like it had potential, but it got in the constant force close loop. I've heard people mention this on Helix2, but it definitely can happen on Helix1 as well.
So does Helix Launcher have any lag? I am using 2.1 stock with no overclocking.

i am not getting any lag with helix. I did get one or two fc's...but they were quick and easy..not like the fc's i got with gde....so far i really like it...the 5 screens are just what i need....i am running 2.1 stock...