Anyway to get GMail to quit adding contacts?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Matth3w, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure there must be a setting that I am overlooking (I am still a *relatively* new GMail user) that auto saves every damn person into my contacts, which then gets sync'd to my phone?

Very annoying that every Tom, Dick, and Harry that I have ever emailed just one time gets added to my contacts on my phone as well. So when I am searching for someone I have to scroll past 100 random email addresses.

2. acetwo

acetwo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    also been curious about this

3. 640k

640k Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    try this:

gmail.com - settings - chat - Only allow people that I've explicitly approved to chat with me and see when I'm online - save

4. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    It's not chatting though. Even if I send someone an email, someone I have never chatted with, even if it is just someone that I am saying "unsubscribe" to...it adds it to my contacts.

5. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Yes, Google will do that. The only thing you can do is go in and delete them after you've sent your email. Or do like I do and have a "Spring Cleaning" where I get a bunch of them at a time.

6. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    That's freaking retarded.

7. 640k

640k Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I know it's not chatting. Click the "Learn More" link:

This is where you make the change.

8. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 7+ 256gb
    If they are email only contacts you can set the contact view to show only contacts with phone numbers.

9. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I'll try it out...but I don't see anything in what you quoted about GMail automatically adding a contact based on those settings.

10. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    That won't work because I do have some legit contacts that are email only. But some idiot that asks me a question on eBay or Autotrader I don't want automatically added into my contact list.

11. 640k

640k Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    it's the only place where there's a setting similar. give it a try and report back. if anything, it will limit who gets added.

i get non gmail addresses added to my gtalk client all of the time, i suspect it's because of this setting.

12. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know who I can email that isn't already a contact, but I'll keep an eye. I also don't know what conditions there are to getting the contact added. For example, does that person have to respond back and have a conversation to get the contact added, or just sending? Not sure...