Anyway to get GMail to quit adding contacts?

OP
M

Matth3w

Hookbill and I just exchanged a few emails with those settings and sure enough, we both have each other as contacts. Not that I mind being in contact with Hook, just stating a point. :)

JamesX

Reaction score
You can goto contacts and select which groups to show or not show. I forgot which option it is under. The problem is anyone you e-mail with is automatically added to your "Most Recent" Group. You need to turn that Group off (if it is on) and also the "My Contact" if possible.

At least I think that is how I fixed it on my DROID. Don't have it with me so I can't check right now.

OP
M

Matth3w

A while back, Google added a feature "My Contacts" to combat this issue. I can't remember if there was something that you needed to do to start it up, but it avoids the issue you are describing. The droid will only sync with your "My Contacts" and people you reply to will only show up in the "All Contacts" category.

Default contact groups - Gmail Help
Hmm I poured all through the settings page and I don't see anything about it. :(

OP
M

Matth3w

You can goto contacts and select which groups to show or not show. I forgot which option it is under. The problem is anyone you e-mail with is automatically added to your "Most Recent" Group. You need to turn that Group off (if it is on) and also the "My Contact" if possible.

At least I think that is how I fixed it on my DROID. Don't have it with me so I can't check right now.
I don't have a "most recent".

I have Friends, Family, CoWorkers, Starred in Android, All Contacts, Most Contacted

BamaT

Reaction score
For me, anyone in My Contacts will show up on Droid and anyone in All Contacts does not. Attached a snapshot of what the screen looks like on Gmail. If you select All Contacts and then a name in that list you will see an option at the top to move to My Contacts. If you move to My Contacts then it will show up on Droid. I also found that if a contact is in both list then you can edit information in either one and it will show up in the other and on the Droid.

OP
M

Matth3w

I selected all my contacts and moved them to "my contacts", so I guess we will see how that works.

snooze

Reaction score
A while back, Google added a feature "My Contacts" to combat this issue. I can't remember if there was something that you needed to do to start it up, but it avoids the issue you are describing. The droid will only sync with your "My Contacts" and people you reply to will only show up in the "All Contacts" category.

Default contact groups - Gmail Help
Hmm I poured all through the settings page and I don't see anything about it. :(

While in contacts goto settings->display options->'your google account'. From here you can set which groups to display.

OP
M

Matth3w

Well I already moved them all to "my contacts" but I'm not sure it's worked for me yet...

PhoneSter

Reaction score
I have the same problem with gmail online. I found on droid as others mentioned... just have your droid import only your contacts and any other group you see fit... keeps the junk off the droid.
I have looked high and low and found that when you reply to a contact... it is automatically put into your "most contacted list"
I've found no way for this not to happen.. I know it's a gmail thing but as much of a giant they are... think they could give an option for this not to happen... who wants all the craigslist or ebay etc. yoco's in your contact list. I don't after transaction complete... i could care less who they are and am annoyed I gotta manually delete them!

OP
M

Matth3w

Yeah me too. So I moved my contacts to my contacts, does that mean it shouldn't update anymore with random contacts that I don't move to MyContacts?

billyk

Reaction score
I haven't found anything that works for this.

I just do the "Spring Cleaning" thing every week - a PIA IMO.

rlb

Reaction score
Its a 2 step process:

Flush out the "My Contacts" group in gmail to include only those contacts that you want to see on the phone (Alternatively, I created a group called "Mobile Contacts" but see my edit below for the caveat).

On your phone, go to contacts, menu button, display options, press the gmail account, check on the group(s) containing the contacts you want to see on your phone. By default it should be "My Contacts"

Edit: When you add a contact from your phone, it automatically goes to the "My Contacts" group. If you don't have that checked on, new contacts will seem to disappear. I wanted to have things cleaned up and only include my Mobile Contacts group, but I'd have to add a new contact from my phone, then log into gmail and add that contact to the Mobile Contacts group. So, I'm just showing My Contacts on the phone.

Last edited:
OP
M

Matth3w

Its a 2 step process:

Flush out the "My Contacts" group in gmail to include only those contacts that you want to see on the phone (Alternatively, I created a group called "Mobile Contacts" but see my edit below for the caveat).

On your phone, go to contacts, menu button, display options, press the gmail account, check on the group(s) containing the contacts you want to see on your phone. By default it should be "My Contacts"

Edit: When you add a contact from your phone, it automatically goes to the "My Contacts" group. If you don't have that checked on, new contacts will seem to disappear. I wanted to have things cleaned up and only include my Mobile Contacts group, but I'd have to add a new contact from my phone, then log into gmail and add that contact to the Mobile Contacts group. So, I'm just showing My Contacts on the phone.
I actually already had that checked by default I guess. So when I add a contact it goes to My Contacts automatically but from my phone any contact added by GMail goes into the all contacts by default.....?

Sounds like a plan, thanks.