Anyone else think the Droid X will one up Apple on June 23rd?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
...You cannot run widgets on the iPhone, and for me, thats a giant dealbreaker. To be able to see the majority of what you want without actually having to open a program is something that I have grown accustomed to on this device and will never own a device that cannot do it. The iPhone cannot and likely will not. Therefore, its not for me.

Perhaps you should pay more attention to the media you're bashing. The new iPhone has widgets.

does iOS 4 have widgets (i.e. that would work on a 3Gs) or is it strictly Iphone 4?

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Notice how infrequently you hear the term 'iphone killer' anymore...

When something becomes so obvious, no more reason for debate..

Beardface

Reaction score
...You cannot run widgets on the iPhone, and for me, thats a giant dealbreaker. To be able to see the majority of what you want without actually having to open a program is something that I have grown accustomed to on this device and will never own a device that cannot do it. The iPhone cannot and likely will not. Therefore, its not for me.

Perhaps you should pay more attention to the media you're bashing. The new iPhone has widgets.
They may have it, but they will still be bound to the restrictive aspects of the iPhone OS.

Try as they may, I highly doubt that Apple will ever have the fludity with the widgets that Android does. Android is built on that functionality, Apple is built on ease and simplicity. Sure, there will be widgets, but I highly, highly doubt they'll have the same functionality that is already available on the Android platform.

StepDroid

Official DF Vendor
Premium Member
Reaction score
If that happens it would be HUGE!!! it's tough to turn iPhonies most that i argue with won't touch a Droid... but they're always looking bug eyed when i voice text or search... They are zoned in... it's like telling someone they made a stupid purchase and they won't ever admit it... they don't want to believe they could possibly be wrong.. maybe not wrong... just not the king anymore..

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
If that happens it would be HUGE!!! it's tough to turn iPhonies most that i argue with won't touch a Droid... but they're always looking bug eyed when i voice text or search... They are zoned in... it's like telling someone they made a stupid purchase and they won't ever admit it... they don't want to believe they could possibly be wrong.. maybe not wrong... just not the king anymore..

Haha....Had a friend who's showing me his IPhone...he's like, check this out and recorded a voice memo. I said "check this out" and voice texted him!

Driving directions is still the coolest thing to me. Hold down the magnifying glass and say "navigate to..."

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

They may have it, but they will still be bound to the restrictive aspects of the iPhone OS.

Try as they may, I highly doubt that Apple will ever have the fludity with the widgets that Android does. Android is built on that functionality, Apple is built on ease and simplicity. Sure, there will be widgets, but I highly, highly doubt they'll have the same functionality that is already available on the Android platform.

Oh, so now it's the quality of the widgets that matters, eh? Since, of course, iOS4 has widgets.

Look friend, I'm not bashing you personally. It's just that the fanboy-ism associated with the Android o/s, the Droid, and Verizon around here is both childish and tiresome. Just as tiresome as the equivalent fanboy-ism from juvenile iPhone fans.

The fact is that Apple has a giant share of the market for good reason and it's not simply because iXXX users are too stupid or technically inept, that the media is in Apple's pocket, or that the masses have failed to see the light.

It's because Apple has designed a quality product that meets the needs of the vast majority of its users. In turn, they've attracted a huge developer base and largely assure that the apps that are available work as advertised.

The iOS design is a set of compromises. So is the Android OS. So is every design that has ever or will ever see the light of day. The iOS sacrifices customization options in favor of predictable performance and functionality. It limits multitasking for the same reason. That may not be your cupatea but it's not a wrong choice. It's a different design based on different objectives.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Have you guys not seen the pre-order numbers for the iPhone 4? I'm buying the X, but I know better than to think that it will one up, outsell, or kill the iPhone. Apple isn't going anywhere guys. Can't we just enjoy our Android phones without having to compare them to Apple products?

Quoted for truth. Why do we even WANT to "kill" the iPhone? It is a pretty nice piece of hardware in its own right. Just because alot of us don't particularly care for Steve Jobs doesn't mean the device needs to die.... I don't have an iPhone, I have an iPod Touch. But there's a reason I have one..... Because it is a really nice device (and it's an old-school 8GB 2nd gen) - as a matter of fact, i'm installing iOS 4 on it as I type this.

dwagner88

Reaction score
I dont undrstand the op? verizon couldnt "one-up" the iphone if they wanted to. Its branding has become way too powerful. Like it or not, nothing is gonna beat it in terms of sales especially on a launch day. The droid x isnt all that different from the new iphone. They both have fast new processors and high rez screens. The only basic differences are the droids bigger screen and the iphones front camera. Fanboys will say omg iphone is dominated lolz!!!!!. Realistically the phones arent all that different. If you like the apple solution (and a ****load of people do) then you will buy the iphone. If you dont like the apple solution, you will buy the droid, but in terms of sales, verizon wont be one upping at&t. Thats okay with me, they can keep their congested network.

Mojo

Reaction score
Personaly I think when people refer (or at least when I use the term) Kill the iPhone. I do not mean in shear sell's of the device. When I refer to an iPhone killer, I am refering to the capabilitys of the device. How do they stack up. For many years the iPhone sat king of best browser, best media player, best phone for gaming, best choice in apps, best user experience etc.. Those days are gone thanks to Android. The iPhone does not reign king of all those things any more. There are now devices that are equal too or surpass the iPhone. So in those things the iPhone has been killed (or at least kicked out of the drivers seat)

Is it still a great device, sure. Apple just makes good products period! But now there are other alternatives. People are starting to see that. But Android is still young, people I think are still wary of Android because the brand has not been promoted enough. What do you think of when you think of looking at an Android device.. you think DROID. Thats the brand that is people are starting to know. Not Android. As soon as Google can figure out how to effectivly market the Android brand better you will see sales increase.

dos

Reaction score

Haha....Had a friend who's showing me his IPhone...he's like, check this out and recorded a voice memo. I said "check this out" and voice texted him!

Driving directions is still the coolest thing to me. Hold down the magnifying glass and say "navigate to..."

A lot of fanboy talk going on here. You do know you can voice text with the iphone, I think the app is called Dragon or something like that, will have to ask the husband.

Iphone owners are fanboys, uneducated, let Steve J think for them, closed minded etc.. Android owners are never sheep, educated etc... You have 2 phone OS that can do 95% of what the other can, hardware is a wash. I was out with a group the other night and heard a similar argument about a guys Audi is better than anothers BMW, give me a break.

StepDroid

Official DF Vendor
Premium Member
Reaction score

Oh, so now it's the quality of the widgets that matters, eh? Since, of course, iOS4 has widgets.

Look friend, I'm not bashing you personally. It's just that the fanboy-ism associated with the Android o/s, the Droid, and Verizon around here is both childish and tiresome. Just as tiresome as the equivalent fanboy-ism from juvenile iPhone fans.

The fact is that Apple has a giant share of the market for good reason and it's not simply because iXXX users are too stupid or technically inept, that the media is in Apple's pocket, or that the masses have failed to see the light.

It's because Apple has designed a quality product that meets the needs of the vast majority of its users. In turn, they've attracted a huge developer base and largely assure that the apps that are available work as advertised.

The iOS design is a set of compromises. So is the Android OS. So is every design that has ever or will ever see the light of day. The iOS sacrifices customization options in favor of predictable performance and functionality. It limits multitasking for the same reason. That may not be your cupatea but it's not a wrong choice. It's a different design based on different objectives.

the word FANBOY is also tiresome and childish.... The thing is, as an Android "fan" i dislike iPhone but most of us disliked iPhone from the very beginning, before there was a such thing as Android, and we are ecstatic that there is FINALLY something that not only compares but goes toe-to-toe and may be even better (better is an opinion no matter who thinks it).

NO ONE sets the rules for what phone to like and by how much... or what is the limit you can talk negatively about the iPhone... last I checked this is DROIDFORUMS for DROID FANS... to come on here and try to act like we should chill out on the iDon't cause it bothers you is a bit absurd... I HATE MAC and iPhone always will... it's obviously a great product for its fans and NOTHING is going to kill it... but HATING it is soooo much fun.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score

Wait are you sure IOS4 has widgets? I don't think so. I just installed it on my iPod Touch (3G so all functionality except iPhone related) and there are no widgets, just a music control "widget" that takes the place of the Music control popup. Gizmodo stated that it would like to see the inclusion of widgets on IOS5.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score

Wait are you sure IOS4 has widgets? I don't think so. I just installed it on my iPod Touch (3G so all functionality except iPhone related) and there are no widgets, just a music control "widget" that takes the place of the Music control popup. Gizmodo stated that it would like to see the inclusion of widgets on IOS5.

I believe you are right. I can't find anything about the update supporting true widgets like android does.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
I believe you are right. I can't find anything about the update supporting true widgets like android does.

Just wanted some confirmation lol I've read the tech sites, and there was no mention of widgets as a "new" feature. lol. Plus didn't apple block an app because it looked too "widget like" in the past?

dos

Reaction score

the word FANBOY is also tiresome and childish.... The thing is, as an Android "fan" i dislike iPhone but most of us disliked iPhone from the very beginning, before there was a such thing as Android, and we are ecstatic that there is FINALLY something that not only compares but goes toe-to-toe and may be even better (better is an opinion no matter who thinks it).

NO ONE sets the rules for what phone to like and by how much... or what is the limit you can talk negatively about the iPhone... last I checked this is DROIDFORUMS for DROID FANS... to come on here and try to act like we should chill out on the iDon't cause it bothers you is a bit absurd... I HATE MAC and iPhone always will... it's obviously a great product for its fans and NOTHING is going to kill it... but HATING it is soooo much fun.

Fanboy, mindless follower, sheep, call it what you want Apple has them, so does Google. Did you even read my post, did I say chill(nice caps lock btw), did I say one is better than the other? Go ahead and read some of my other posts, competition breads innovation. Before the first iPhone the hottest phones were the likes of Blackberry and Treo. iPhone put out basically the same phone for 3 years before Google stepped up to the plate and got in Apple's face. Now we are seeing some fantastic phones all around EVO, Incredible, Droid X, iPhone 4.

Your right, this is a Droid forum, but, I didn't make this topic. Must have been a rule change to the forums before I went on vacation.