Droid 2 or Droid X?

Xander Crews

Reaction score
Greetings all...new to the forum.
I gotta say...this place is a vast resource of Droid info. Pretty damn cool.

Two years ago I pre-ordered the very first Android phone (G1) and it's been a good run, I love(d) the phone, it was a great choice at the time...but it's time to update to better/newer/faster hardware.

I am currently with T-Mobile, but I'm switching to Verizon in about 10 days when my contract is up (thank God). Through my job, I get 18% off of Verizon's voice plans, 20% off data and 20% off of accessories. After the discount my would-be-Verizon-plan will only be a few bucks more than my T-Mobile plan...so it's stupid not to switch.

I've done a lot of research on the Droid 2 and Droid X...and I'm having a tough time making up my mind. I really like both phones...a lot.

I'm a huge QWERTY keyboard fan, so that has me favoring the Droid 2...but the signal strength issues on the Droid 2 have me a bit concerned. Is this issue being blown out of proportion?

The Droid X has a better camera and better video capabilities, so that is a plus.
I'm not sure if I want a larger phone though.

I've read that the Droid X and Droid 2 get very good battery life as far as Android phones go (Droid X ranked #1 and Droid 2 ranked #3) Has this been everyone's experience here as well? Battery life is a huge selling point for me.

I stopped by the Verizon store the other day and played with both phones a bit...and I gotta say, I like them both.

I'm leaning towards the Droid 2 because of the physical keyboard and because I don't plan on taking a lot of photos and video and the better camera and video capabilities might be wasted (however, I would probably use the Ustream Broadcaster app more with a better camcorder, since I have used it before)...but this voice in my head keeps telling me that since they are the same price that I should just get the beefier Droid X (bigger screen, better camera, better video). But other than that, the phones are pretty similar as far as speed goes, correct? Same processor, ram and storage?

Either way, both phones will be a big upgrade over my Android G1.

I'd mainly be using the phone for voice, email, calendar, texting, maps & GPS, Facebook, Twitter and a handful of other things.

I'd appreciate any feedback you guys could give.
Thanks.

Last edited:

xliderider

Reaction score
I'd go with the X or Fascinate. The Fascinate and X are about even, they have their pluses and minuses, but it all comes down to what you want. they are the top 2 Android phones out for Verizon currently.

I thought I needed a physical keyboard as well when I got my original Droid. After about a week, I found myself using the physical keyboard less and less until I never used it.

J

JohnDroid

I had an X and it was a wonderful phone but I missed the keyboard so I got a Droid 2. The layout on the keyboard of the 2 is different then the 1, so it took me a couple weeks to get used to the 2 but now that I have, I'm glad I made the switch.

OP
Xander Crews

Xander Crews

Reaction score
I'd go with the X or Fascinate. The Fascinate and X are about even, they have their pluses and minuses, but it all comes down to what you want. they are the top 2 Android phones out for Verizon currently.

I thought I needed a physical keyboard as well when I got my original Droid. After about a week, I found myself using the physical keyboard less and less until I never used it.

I currently have a G1, which has physical QWERTY, and I always use the physical keyboard...I never use the virtual one. I've tried it, and don't like it...but I'd imagine using the virtual keyboard on the X would be easier because of the bigger screen. It was quite nice when I tried it in the store.

On the Fascinate...
I've heard the Super AMOLED screens really use the battery up... have you guys heard the same? ...and only 2GB of storage? I think I'd rather have the 8GB in the D2 or X. Having 720p video would be nice though.

If you like the virtual keyboard, why choose the Fascinate over the X? The X has more internal storage and a better camera. I guess if you don't like the buttons on the X...

pointzero1

Reaction score
the camera on the x isnt as good as people have said, imo. I think acutally I prefer the droid 2 camera when it comes to still photos. I have used my droid x camera this past weekend and havent been too impressed with the still photo qualities.

xliderider

Reaction score
the camera on the x isnt as good as people have said, imo. I think acutally I prefer the droid 2 camera when it comes to still photos. I have used my droid x camera this past weekend and havent been too impressed with the still photo qualities.

Yes, and the camera on the Galaxy S series are very good. My boss came back from a trip to Spain and the pics he took in Barcelona were amazing. Even with no flash on the Captivate, night and evening shots were good.

Don't let the 5 MP count fool you vs. the 8 MP cam in the X. The LG Dare had a 5 MP camera and it was/is one of the best cameras in a cellphone.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
There isn't that much difference internally between the X and the D2. Camera is different, larger screen. D2 comes with 2.2 preinstalled, X does not but that shouldn't be a factor.

Really it boils down to keyboard. Do you want a hard keyboard or can you live with the virtual keyboard?

Darkseider

Reaction score
I say wait a few weeks until Verizon drops that new sexy HTC QWERTY beast that's been outed. Basically it is Verizon's version of the G2. Give that a try and see how folks respond to it prior to diving into a DX / D2.

OP
Xander Crews

Xander Crews

Reaction score
I say wait a few weeks until Verizon drops that new sexy HTC QWERTY beast that's been outed. Basically it is Verizon's version of the G2. Give that a try and see how folks respond to it prior to diving into a DX / D2.

Well, I have to jump in and make the switch sooner or later.
If I keep waiting for the next best thing, I'll never get a new phone.

Essentially, I'm switching to Verizon in 10 days and I need to make up my mind on a phone.
I really don't want to wait another month or two or however long for the new Incredible to come out...because a couple months after that, there will be another monster phone on the horizon.

everstar80

Reaction score
My personal experience is that I have great strength, even in the middle of house. And if you're a qwerty keyboard fan thrn I believe you'll be satisfied. But a couple of things to consider; the world edition and droid pro which are rumored to be better versions of the droid 2 coming soon (with the frustration and confusion of droid 2 owners) wait and research these devices and see if you can hold out because you don't want to purchase something and then be pissed that you didn't see how long these devices are coming. Also consider where you live, is it a really small town or like a state capitol because that can make a difference so see if many people in your hometown carry Verizon phones. Hope that helps.

aga11ah

Reaction score
I've had both and I'd say the X. but then again, if you don't like swype then maybe the standard keyboard would be way better for you... but I'm a swype junkie so it made it an easy decision.

OP
Xander Crews

Xander Crews

Reaction score
My personal experience is that I have great strength, even in the middle of house. And if you're a qwerty keyboard fan thrn I believe you'll be satisfied. But a couple of things to consider; the world edition and droid pro which are rumored to be better versions of the droid 2 coming soon (with the frustration and confusion of droid 2 owners) wait and research these devices and see if you can hold out because you don't want to purchase something and then be pissed that you didn't see how long these devices are coming. Also consider where you live, is it a really small town or like a state capitol because that can make a difference so see if many people in your hometown carry Verizon phones. Hope that helps.
I live in a good size town. A lot of my co-workers have Verizon and they rave about their reception and signal quality...and Verizon's reception map says we are in a rock solid area.

I think I'm going to get the D2 because I'm comfortable with the size of the phone and I really do want the physical keyboard. And with as much as everyone says they LOVE their D1's, the D2, albeit slight, is still an improvement over the D1...as long as signal strength isn't an issue with the D2 phone I get.

But then again, that could all change when I go to the Verizon store and play with the phones again. :)

This whole process is frustrating, but in a fun way.

kenbiz

Reaction score
Damn.. no one mentions the HTC incredible?? I got it over the x. X was just too big and Motorola blur sux.. just my opinion..

Cunha

Reaction score
HTC is weak sauce. Incredible is the best form factor IMO I wish motorola would make a smaller phone without a keyboard. I just wouldn't want to be caught with an abandoned cell phone like the eris or something like that.

Last edited: