Anyone else think the Droid X will one up Apple on June 23rd?

Derekweb

Reaction score
Need Hip spokesman and Media Player

1-Need a hip spokesman like Jobs, should identify with Goggle.
Goggle = hip
motorola = has been
htc = who the F*** are they?

2-a media player that actually syncs well with apple and windows. I tried them all, they are not any good. (not that iTune is, but its easy)

Users are not all Linux hackers!
Right now droid is known for geeks.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

But you also have to realize this group on these boards represents a small percent of users/buyers with both the technical ability and time to incorporate all this stuff...

Your forgot to mention any interest whatsoever "to incorporate all this stuff." The vast majority of smart phone users have lives that go beyond playing with their phones. They don't want to root and overclock their phones. They aren't interested in expressing their individuality through their phones.

That doesn't mean they're technically inept. One of my friends with an iPhone can run rings around me as a mechanic. Another with an iPad is a far better software developer than I am. And to her, individuality with a phone is about the most ridiculous thing in the world.

My wife is a great cook. She loves her Droid in part because I take care of looking for apps, updating apps, and dealing with the fact that a good percentage of the time she can't swipe to answer her phone. Meanwhile, she can use the Droid as a relatively simple tool for grocery lists and recipes. But if she didn't have me around, she'd no doubt prefer an iPhone. Not because she can't figure out how to clear the cache in her gmail but because doing so is a pita that she shouldn't have to deal with.

Exactly, my wife is the same way. She has never cared about any of this, but when I had an iPhone, she was a much happier "moocher" than with my Droid.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Interesting, my edits aren't showing up in the post. It shows it when I go to "edit", but doesn't actually show up in the post.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Maybe pre orders for the X will be on the 23rd. The new X commercial has 7 2010 at the end. Who knows...

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
People are all excited over the new iPhone they will not even be thinking about the Droid X or any other new Droid from Motorola.
The appetite for anything Apple is still alive and well.

Will it one up it? I don't think so. Their target market is fixated on getting their hands on it and don't care to have anything else.

Sent from my Droid

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Have you guys not seen the pre-order numbers for the iPhone 4? I'm buying the X, but I know better than to think that it will one up, outsell, or kill the iPhone. Apple isn't going anywhere guys. Can't we just enjoy our Android phones without having to compare them to Apple products?

Zandar

Reaction score
People are all excited over the new iPhone they will not even be thinking about the Droid X or any other new Droid from Motorola.
The appetite for anything Apple is still alive and well.

Will it one up it? I don't think so. Their target market is fixated on getting their hands on it and don't care to have anything else.
This is the crux of it right here. For Apple fans, the only upgrade is one that Apple makes.

I have friends that are Apple apologists, and I remember them deriding the benefits of a high res LCD screen, multitasking, etc. "It's just a phone; if I want to do that stuff, I'll use my MacBook." Now that the iPhone 4 has a high res LCD and iOS4 has multitasking, it's all, "OMG, retinal display! Multitasking is gonna be sooo cool!"

It's not that the Droid X will be superior or inferior to the iPhone 4 with iOS4; it's that the Apple apologists won't care. When I went to get a new phone, I did the research and thought that the Droid would be the best choice (on Verizon; I don't care to switch carriers in my area). Had the iPhone been on VZW at the time, I would have considered it but I wouldn't have ended up purchasing it due to its inferiority so far as usability and features are concerned (personal opinion).

So, to answer the question posed by this thread, it depends on what you mean by "one up." If you mean be a better device, then yes. If you mean steal the spotlight, don't count on it. Bias is a tough beast to kill.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I think people are less rooting against Apple than rooting for Android. The more the community grows in size and popularity the more support we can expect to see.

I say VZW is vastly superior to AT&T. I say Google Voice (free SMS and eventually MMS), and eventually Google Gizmo (free VoIP), are game changers. And, I know others have differing opinions, I say the convenience of smart phones dictates heavy widget use.

The Droid learning curve has been mentioned, but it's actually not that tough to get 95% of the capabilities up and running on stock with minimal effort. One of Apples' greatest accomplishments is training its users to be lazy, and expecting to be lazy - if they have to spend 1 extra second trying to figure something out or searching for an app they throw their hands up in frustration.

bronx finest

Reaction score
IMHO Droid has already 1 upped it. The only reason that iPhone is more popular is the fact that most people who buy iPhones aren't well educated as to what they are purchasing.

And for a lot of people that's a good thing. Simple and uncomplicated, the iPhone leaves very little room for innovation beyond what your purchased.
This.

Or they want it "extremely simple & intuitive" most people have adopted this "gotta have now and easily" attitude rather than diving into a learning curve and enhancing their user experience.

EgooEspada

Reaction score
IMO apple is already a thing of the past. Too bad there are so many iFans (including the media) that will keep pushing and buying the new stuff...

I love my Moto Droid still and don't feel the need to upgrade. I just can't believe how my phone evolved from the time I got it. It's now so much faster, smoother, can do more, and even runs flash. Android is ever evolving, so thats why I think the iPhone is done for...

The media is already giving Android their spotlight now. It started with the original Droid and HTC's Evo 4G and Droid Incredible wrapped it up... those three phones are what made Android mainstream.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
IMHO Droid has already 1 upped it. The only reason that iPhone is more popular is the fact that most people who buy iPhones aren't well educated as to what they are purchasing.

And for a lot of people that's a good thing. Simple and uncomplicated, the iPhone leaves very little room for innovation beyond what your purchased.
This.

Or they want it "extremely simple & intuitive" most people have adopted this "gotta have now and easily" attitude rather than diving into a learning curve and enhancing their user experience.

again, that's not necessarily a bad thing and doesn't necessarily represent an individual's philosophy on life just b/c they want their smartphone to be thoughtless and easy

now, if having an iphone means you take an "iphone" approach to something like, say, parenting, then we could talk negatively about that way of thinking

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

But you also have to realize this group on these boards represents a small percent of users/buyers with both the technical ability and time to incorporate all this stuff...

Your forgot to mention any interest whatsoever "to incorporate all this stuff." The vast majority of smart phone users have lives that go beyond playing with their phones. They don't want to root and overclock their phones. They aren't interested in expressing their individuality through their phones.

That doesn't mean they're technically inept. One of my friends with an iPhone can run rings around me as a mechanic. Another with an iPad is a far better software developer than I am.

My wife is a great cook. She loves her Droid in part because I take care of looking for apps, updating apps, and dealing with the fact that a good percentage of the time she can't swipe to answer her phone. Meanwhile, she can use the Droid as a relatively simple tool for grocery lists and recipes. But if she didn't have me around, she'd no doubt prefer an iPhone. Not because she can't figure out how to clear the cache in her gmail but because doing so is a pita that she shouldn't have to deal with.

My wife is a IT person and she know Unix like the back of her hand. She also has a Droid, but she is not the least bit interested in really getting into it. No rooting, no Froyo. I was lucky she let me put 2.1 on it without waiting for the OTA.

She likes it simple too. Yesterday she was telling me how pleased she was with her Droid. She wanted to fine a grocery store in her area and she used Google. I tried to explain how maps could also help but for her it was "Google worked just fine. Maybe I'll look at maps some other time.":rolleyes:

Beardface

Reaction score
Has Android surpassed the iPhone? In terms of ability of the device itself? Yes, and its not even close. You can do far more things with the Droid than you can with the Apple devices, and that has not changed with the new iPhone build. You cannot run widgets on the iPhone, and for me, thats a giant dealbreaker. To be able to see the majority of what you want without actually having to open a program is something that I have grown accustomed to on this device and will never own a device that cannot do it. The iPhone cannot and likely will not. Therefore, its not for me.

However, as far as getting the attention of the media? No, and it never will. Apple smartly aligned itself with uppety douchebags who love to think that everything they do is better than everyone else, and they won't say it, but will look at you with a smug smile and think it. The vast majority of these reasons is that these people will buy anything with an Apple logo on it. They'll overpay for the ability to have what is considered in the media as 'elite', and since these media people like to think they're also 'elite', they'll align with the most smug of them all. That would be Steve Jobs. So unless Google comes out with a successful ad campaign that comes off as being more smug and holier than thou than Apple, it will never happen.

If you ask me, Google would be wise to work with Motorola going forward to make them the primary carrier of the Android platform. The success of the Droid/Milestone simply cannot be ignored, and from what we've seen so far the Droid X and Droid 2 are not going to disappoint, either. Yes, HTC is nice, and they are a great alternative, but Motorola is quickly coming out with the devices that are the breadwinners of Android. Google and Motorola should sign some kind of official agreement to be the primary handlers of each other's devices. Motorola makes the devices, and Google programs the Operating System. It would signal a direct challenge in the media to Apple that has been understood for years, and Google would eat pancakes off Apple's heads if they went head to head in advertising.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
...You cannot run widgets on the iPhone, and for me, thats a giant dealbreaker. To be able to see the majority of what you want without actually having to open a program is something that I have grown accustomed to on this device and will never own a device that cannot do it. The iPhone cannot and likely will not. Therefore, its not for me.

Perhaps you should pay more attention to the media you're bashing. The new iPhone has widgets.