Any tips for speeding up the Motorola Droid (A855)??

plyallstar

Reaction score
Hello Droid Community.

I have had the Moto Droid since release and love it...I am aware that the Droid has a 550MHZ processor (or something close to that) and 256 MB of Ram.

My question is, has anyone found any ways to keep performance relatively high on their droids?

My current setup is as follows:
1. Running Bugless Beast V0.5
2. Running Bugless Evolution v.8 theme.
3. Running launcher pro plus as default launcher.
4. Using 800MHZ kernel that came with the BB Rom (i would like to avoid using other kernels because some that i have tried raise the phones temp, and others send my phone into a random boot cycle at launch).
5. I use seven screens and have many widgets including fb, twitter,espn scorecenter, calander widget, clock and weather widget, etc..
6. I use the advanced task killer widget often. (I usually hit the widget everytime I unlock my phone to kill background apps).

I understand that the phone naturally will lag a bit because of my current set up. However, if anyone has any suggestions to keep the phone running smooth, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank You. I would like to keep the droid until something a phone I really like comes out.

Skull One

Reaction score
Hello Droid Community.

I have had the Moto Droid since release and love it...I am aware that the Droid has a 550MHZ processor (or something close to that) and 256 MB of Ram.

My question is, has anyone found any ways to keep performance relatively high on their droids?

My current setup is as follows:
1. Running Bugless Beast V0.5
2. Running Bugless Evolution v.8 theme.
3. Running launcher pro plus as default launcher.
4. Using 800MHZ kernel that came with the BB Rom (i would like to avoid using other kernels because some that i have tried raise the phones temp, and others send my phone into a random boot cycle at launch).
5. I use seven screens and have many widgets including fb, twitter,espn scorecenter, calander widget, clock and weather widget, etc..
6. I use the advanced task killer widget often. (I usually hit the widget everytime I unlock my phone to kill background apps).

I understand that the phone naturally will lag a bit because of my current set up. However, if anyone has any suggestions to keep the phone running smooth, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank You. I would like to keep the droid until something a phone I really like comes out.

Get rid of step 6. It is counter productive to what you are requesting.

I will be brief on the "Why" to help avoid an argument.

I doubt you have a program installed that allows you to control what apps are tied to certain events. As such, every time you kill off all the background apps, the events will eventually fire off and cause the phone to slow down as it RELOADS all the background apps you just killed off. Hence you just created a vicious cycle of battery draining and system lag.

ndhill1976

Reaction score
Yea, do what Skull One said.

There is no reason to have a laggy rooted Droid. You might want to try some differernt ROMS too. I really like Sapphire, but there are all kinds.

dustoff69

Reaction score
Try flashing Project Elite....the fastest & most stable ROM I have ever used.

OP
plyallstar

plyallstar

Reaction score
Fast Roms

I have tried other roms, but always end up going back to buggless beast. For me, personally, it has always been the most stable, and has little to no force close errors. If anyone has any other tips on improving performance, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the tip about the advanced task killer, after thinking about it, it actually makes a lot of sense. I removed the widget, and uninstalled the program. If my Droid begins to lag a lot, i will just do a phone reset for now.

****quick question: if i removed some of my news widgets, do you think that would speed up the phone a little? because i know it has to use data to refresh the articles. Currently, i am only using the engaget news widget. Also my phone still seems to be a little laggy, overall. I know some people say that launcher pro causes some lag, should i be using the default launcher? I really like use launcher pro and would love to keep it if possible.

**UPDATE: after one day of use, the phone seems to be a little more responsive when I unlock the screen (no longer using Advanced Task Killer.

Last edited: