Motorola A855 USB driver for Windows XP...

chevycam94

SteelDroid ROM / Cortex ROM Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
steelroms.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P, VZW Note Edge, D1
I am in need of the driver for the Droid. I am running Windows XP Pro SP3. I had to reinstall everything, because my computer was SO slow, I could barely boot anymore. Now I am back up and speedy, but I cant use WIRED TETHER, because the systems cant find drivers for "Motorola A855". Where would I find the drivers for it, so I can get my wired tether back again?

cpjr

Reaction score
All you have to do is google motorola A855 drivers ;)

OP
chevycam94

chevycam94

Developer
Reaction score
Website
steelroms.com
Current Phone Model
I tried that, and I never get functional results. I found a couple that said that is what they were, and when I try to use the INF from the files, Windows wont install it, because it says its not for my hardware. :-( This is pissing me off. lol I use my laptop for everything, and wired tether is MUCH better, as it keeps my phone cooler, because I dont have to use the WIFI chip to transfer data, just the cellular modem.

OP
chevycam94

chevycam94

Developer
Reaction score
Website
steelroms.com
Current Phone Model
OK, I am about to try that method, but I have a feeling it might not work. lol XP is a very strong system, it SHOULD still be able to keep up. lol

OP
chevycam94

chevycam94

Developer
Reaction score
Website
steelroms.com
Current Phone Model
Worked perfectly. Doesnt ask for A855 anymore, but now calls is Remote NDIS Bases Internet Sharing Device! lol Either way, it works, fine with me! Thank you very much. For some reason, I dont think I would have found that on my own. lol

MotoLuvr

Reaction score
I found what you need:

Read USB Tethering and Portable Wi-Fi Hotspots - Nexus One Help

Download the driver tetherxp.inf

After I selected USB tethering on the Droid, Windows XP went looking for the driver. I set it browse to this INF file and it installed with out a problem. I then turned off my wireless connection and I was tethering. The speed was pretty decent too.

I also, tried tethering on a Windows 7 machine and the driver loaded automatically. But I was not able to surf beyond a Verizon web page.

Update: I was able to surf but now I beleive I was tethering to the droid's WiFi connection and not on 3G. When I am away from my home WiFi, I receive a Verizon web page.

Last edited:

xine78

Reaction score
still need help

I looked up all this info & found a couple other websites with info, but it's all kind of jibberish to me. Can anyone give me a dummied-down version of what I need to do to get my tethering to work? I have the original droid (A855) and I am running XP Pro SP3.