Android tablet shopping

MsJones

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I still find myself undecided on a tablet. A coworker has the Samsung Galaxy Tab and it looks great! Display was great too. He stated the Transformer wasn't as smooth so he went with the Galaxy Tab (I thought the last update fixed that?) As a result I can't decide among the Xoom, Transformer, or the Galaxy Tab :(

I love the optional keyboard for the Transformer. That alone makes it an attractive option. Then again the other devices are nice too.

Are there any other factors/ features that will are worth considering when comparing all 3?

Thanks in advance :)

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

alboboy10

Reaction score
Not as smooth? Lol

Every review out there states the opposite. I have a transformer the only thing I hate about it is keyboard lag. And for some reason it will not connect to my phone while tethering. Other than that it's very smooth

MsJones

Reaction score
Not as smooth? Lol

Every review out there states the opposite. I have a transformer the only thing I hate about it is keyboard lag. And for some reason it will not connect to my phone while tethering. Other than that it's very smooth

Thanks so much for responding. I went to Best Buy today to play with the tablets and I'm just convinced the Transformer is the way to go. I didn't think it was too heavier either and the display was great. Now is it worth waiting for the Transformer 2 that is expected to release later this year? They said it is supposed to come with Ice Cream and a new processor to improve battery life. What do you think?

alboboy10

Reaction score
I'd wait. I heard it's coming out soon. I regret getting it cause I don't use it much. Depends on the money you wanna spend also, I'm going to assume the next one will be expensive

MsJones

Reaction score
Thanks! I think I'm going to wait. I wonder if the current Transformer will be upgraded to ice cream?

capecodguy

Reaction score
Ahhhh....the old "I'll wait for the next model" tech waiting game. I know it well. In years past I was always the early adopter, buying the latest and greatest at a premium and usually getting burnt soon after when a new model is released with better features and at a lower price. I still pee bullets when I use my original $500 iPhone.:icon_evil:

That said, I've come to realize that new isn't always better. Best values are often acheived buying the best model from last year, at a reduced price today. That's the logic I used anyway when I bought my xoom a few weeks ago using the Staples $100 off coupon. AT $400 it was competitive with the low price brands, but I much preferred the build quaility of the xoom. I opted for it's sd card expandability over the slimmer form factor of the Samsung which was at the same price. I knew the Xoom2 would be coming out this fall, but decided to pull the trigger as I had the need and desire to have a tablet now, not months from now. That's the determination that you need to make. Ice cream will come to the original Xoom so that's really no factor. HAving the keyboard dock for the Transformer is nice, but if I wanted another tethered keyboard I'd have bought another laptop, or maybe a netbook for less money. Besides, you can by a bluetooth keyboard that gives far more flexibility for around $70. BTW, I also videochat using Gtalk with no issues.

You need to assess your needs. Only you can do that. Some post here that they barely use their tabs. I use mine constantly. So much more that I ever used my laptop. I take it everywhere, something I didn't bother to do with my laptop. Even to bed to read books or fall asleep watching a movie. It's a great little gadget this one.

zenman77

Reaction score
I was an early adopter with the Xoom and continue to love it even now. I bought my Mom the wifi only and she uses it all of the time. I think the most exciting thing I'm seeing is that we now have choices in the tablet arena. When IPAD was the only one. "not really but go with me here as I realize there were tabs many years ago" it was similar to Henry Ford saying you can have your car in any color as long as it's black lol

dAi

Reaction score
Ahhhh....the old "I'll wait for the next model" tech waiting game. I know it well. In years past I was always the early adopter, buying the latest and greatest at a premium and usually getting burnt soon after when a new model is released with better features and at a lower price. I still pee bullets when I use my original $500 iPhone.:icon_evil:

That said, I've come to realize that new isn't always better. Best values are often acheived buying the best model from last year, at a reduced price today. That's the logic I used anyway when I bought my xoom a few weeks ago using the Staples $100 off coupon. AT $400 it was competitive with the low price brands, but I much preferred the build quaility of the xoom. I opted for it's sd card expandability over the slimmer form factor of the Samsung which was at the same price. I knew the Xoom2 would be coming out this fall, but decided to pull the trigger as I had the need and desire to have a tablet now, not months from now. That's the determination that you need to make. Ice cream will come to the original Xoom so that's really no factor. HAving the keyboard dock for the Transformer is nice, but if I wanted another tethered keyboard I'd have bought another laptop, or maybe a netbook for less money. Besides, you can by a bluetooth keyboard that gives far more flexibility for around $70. BTW, I also videochat using Gtalk with no issues.

You need to assess your needs. Only you can do that. Some post here that they barely use their tabs. I use mine constantly. So much more that I ever used my laptop. I take it everywhere, something I didn't bother to do with my laptop. Even to bed to read books or fall asleep watching a movie. It's a great little gadget this one.

Well said, pa.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

doifer

Reaction score
I was an early adopter with the Xoom and continue to love it even now. I bought my Mom the wifi only and she uses it all of the time. I think the most exciting thing I'm seeing is that we now have choices in the tablet arena. When IPAD was the only one. "not really but go with me here as I realize there were tabs many years ago" it was similar to Henry Ford saying you can have your car in any color as long as it's black lol

Thanks to the amazing Android OS, so we can have so many choices to feed our tab tastes. Though iPad is really great, tablets powered by Android help us not regret anymore due to beautiful Flash play feature.

MsJones

Reaction score
I Preordered the Asus Transformer Prime!

I just preorder the Asus Transformer Prime. :woot:It has sold out on Amazon.com but you can still get it at Gamestop, BestBuy and BHPhotoVideo.com. I preordered mine from Best Buy. I am so excited! As soon I as I get it I will let you all know what I think. According to Gamestop they had an approximate ship date of 12/9/11. When I places my order with Best Buy they estimated delivery to be 12/18-12/23/11. I will keep you all posted!