Android Tablets

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by TxDoc, Oct 9, 2017.

1. radon222

radon222 Platinum Member

Ratings:
    +545
    As Sajo said, as long as you have the ability use your phone as a hotspot, either with your carrier's blessing or not, you can tether the wifi tablet for internet access when away from Wifi. The only reason I mentioned the VZW tablets is because they're slightly newer and based on Qualcomm chips. So they might be more likely to see Oreo in a future update. (purely conjecture of course)

• Like Like x 2
  2. me just sayin

me just sayin Gold Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +1,202
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 8
    if the tablet you want is lte, and you want to use it, then there is a monthly fee. using your phone as an hotspot to keep from paying the fee is nice but it does eat through data and battery.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TxDoc

TxDoc Active Member

Ratings:
    +95
    Current Phone Model:
    XT1635-01
    My main use is sitting in my recliner for the aforementioned tasks.

I doubt I'll ever carry it anywhere. I was just considering potentials out loud.

Earlier this year, I bought a new Dell laptop with SSD drives and all the bells and whistles at $2600 or $2800.

I just want something that's lightweight and not hot I can make documents and read email and watch YouTube and get on the internet to read.

And, this will give me a larger screen than my phone, which isn't bad.

My Wi-Fi at home is great. I have unlimited data, but mostly use Wi-Fi.

I will add 128 GB SD card.

I really don't want, right now, another Verizon charge.

I think this tablet will be great, especially for this price.

The reviews I've read lead me to believe buyers have been happy, too.

I haven't bought, but y'all are really great at teaching me about what's going on.
    PS- for those who don't know, I had a stroke in 2016. I'm kinda retired from dentistry. I still maintain my license. I have a 4000 sq ft office with six operatories and two hygienists rooms, a break room, consultation room, two private doctor's offices with full bathrooms. I've put in new floors, and renovations and am interviewing perspective doctors.
    So this item will aimed at giving me a little larger screen, do basic tasks and use Swipe instead of typing.
    I get better daily and really hope to be normal, again. Fourth of July, I went scuba diving ( swam in a circle), let skiing, I walk and climb stairs, four flights, daily. I drive, l mow grass, hook up trailers, load mowers, tractors.
    I can hold jars with my left hand and twist lids off wth my right. I just haven't regained my fine motor movements back in my left hand, yet. But, I will.
    I'm told I'm pretty stubborn like a first-class jackass. I've never quit or been a happy loser. I was lucky enough to get a pharmD and a DDS degree. Those weren't easy, either, so I'll get this done.
    Anyway...in case you didn't....now you know.
    Thanks to EVERYONE

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  4. bruben7886

bruben7886 Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +716
    Just chiming in txdoc. I got a cheapie from Verizon years ago. I believe it's running KitKat. As I only use it for all the uses you mentioned at home it's powerful enough for those tasks. Facebook, Netflix, Kindle, etc. Although I paid vz 10 bucks for a year I never used data on it. Once the contract was over I dropped the contract. I only use it over WiFi.
    Works great for me. The point being.... For those uses don't go out and spend a fortune.
    PS. Keep getting stronger and better every day!

Sent from my Moto Z (2)

• Like Like x 2
  5. TxDoc

TxDoc Active Member

Ratings:
    +95
    Current Phone Model:
    XT1635-01
    Thank you bruben7886

6. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +3,363
    Current Phone Model:
    Samsung Note 3
    Wow TxDoc, you are amazing! For some reason I believe you will get back to perfect health. Keep up the fight and the great attitude. It's going to get you there.

I use to go for the 10" tablets but I found that even they were too big and now use my 7" tablet, which is plenty big enough for me. Go to a store with tablets (Best Buy, Costco, etc) to check out the different sizes to see which is going to work better for you.

Below are three tablets at Best Buy for you to compare and may suit your needs. It may help give you an idea of what you want to look for in a tablet. These ones work with WiFi & do not require a data plan. There are lots more out there that do the same. Other stores may have these same tablets for less $. I have an old Asus 7" with Android KitKat that still works fine for me.
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/compar...t%3DProduct%20Features~Data%20Plan%20Optional

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  7. Soccerref12

Soccerref12 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Just my $.02 (couldn't find the cent symbol), I use a 7" tablet for all the things you mentioned and as a navigation screen in my truck and on my motorcycle. It has nougat and probably won't be updated beyond that. But it's fast enough so I don't care if it gets Oreo. I don't like Bluetooth keyboard, had one on a previous tablet, because a Swype keyboard is so much faster and easier. Now I do like to have the best operations system on my phone, but as long as the tablet gets the job done, I'm ok with an older ROM on it.

• Like Like x 2
  8. TxDoc

TxDoc Active Member

Ratings:
    +95
    Current Phone Model:
    XT1635-01
    Thanks. I'm just moving forward. Having seen veterans missing limbs and going straight ahead, I can't see not following. Like Bob Tallman said about professional.bull riding.. "This ain't no mommas boy's picnic"'

I found this about Asus tablet as Oreo:
    Asus ZenPad 3s 10 Official Android Oreo 8.0 Update

• Like Like x 1
  9. TxDoc

TxDoc Active Member

Ratings:
    +95
    Current Phone Model:
    XT1635-01
    I've used swype since it was a beta years ago and love it. That's cool you use a tablet on your motorcycle for navigation!

10. Sajo

Sajo Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +7,731
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Droid Z Force
    My tablet is stuck on Lollipop, but I don't mind. For the things I use it for (e mail, e books, movies, forum browsing, etc) it works just fine. I like to have close to the latest OS on my phone but don't really care what version is on my tablet. Just my opinion though, we all have our own preferences.

Hope you can find a decent tablet that fits your budget and your needs TxDoc.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  11. TxDoc

TxDoc Active Member

Ratings:
    +95
    Current Phone Model:
    XT1635-01
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Soccerref12

Soccerref12 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Where did you order it from and how much was it?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Search tags for this page

android tablets