Shopping for decent, cheap tablet

VitalEcho

Reaction score
First off if like to say I'm not working with much. My price range is somewhere around 150$. That bring said I'm not expecting to find anything in that price range that's great and im die ilk end up having to pick something less than what I'd prefer. So. What I'm looking for is an android tablet in that price range that has gps and a 10 inch screen. As I have a droid x it really isn't worth it to me to choose a 7inch tablet. Id also prefer a camera, a usb slot, and sd slot. I've been holding looking for a decent find but haven't found anything that fits what I'm looking for and if rather ask around here for some educated advice. Anyone have any ideas?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

horaceunit

Reaction score
HP Touchpad

First off if like to say I'm not working with much. My price range is somewhere around 150$. That bring said I'm not expecting to find anything in that price range that's great and im die ilk end up having to pick something less than what I'd prefer. So. What I'm looking for is an android tablet in that price range that has gps and a 10 inch screen. As I have a droid x it really isn't worth it to me to choose a 7inch tablet. Id also prefer a camera, a usb slot, and sd slot. I've been holding looking for a decent find but haven't found anything that fits what I'm looking for and if rather ask around here for some educated advice. Anyone have any ideas?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HP's ebay store has refurb units 32 gig for $149, but shipping is $20 on top. I have both a 16gig and a 32 gig and they are very good tablets, especially for the price. It is already possible to port a modified Android os to it, and I imagine that in the next few months a full Android os for the Touchpad will be available. HP also just announced that it will be making Webos (the current Touchpad os) available as open source, so it is not a dead end operating system after all. I was so impressed with mine that I seriously considered trying to track down a rare Verizon Pre3 cell phone because of the connectivity with the TP, but since the cell phone webos is dead I opted for a Samsung Charge. Anyway, I say they are a great deal, even refurbed, and look at the problems with the Kindle Fire before going with that.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
I'd say pick up a refurbished TouchPad(webOS is going to be open/ you can put android on it) or Kindle Fire.

An even better option I would say if you didn't need the tablet immediately is to wait. iPad 3 is probably coming in Spring so you can save more money to pick up the higher end tablet or the "hollywood" (10 inch/3g/built in camera) Kindle tablet should be released next year.

Edit: once the new Kindle or iPad 3 comes out you might be able to get a good deal on the predecessors.

Sent from my R2 unit using DroidForums

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
ICS has already been ported to the Kindle Fire so if you want cheap with a lot of options it doesn't get much better than that.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
You're not going to find one so either lower your requirements or raise your price.

7" tablet with camera and no GPS is possible in your price range but 10" and camera and GPS is not out there.

Do you want/require capacitive touch screens or will resistive touch be acceptable? (Capacitive is better).

Memory requirements? 256 Meg of RAM, 512 Meg, 1 GIG?? What about internal storage? 4 Gig, 8 Gig, 16 Gig

CPU speed? 400+ Mhz, 800+ Mhz, 1 Ghz? Dual-core??

Tablets with your listed requirements are in the $399 and up range though you could possibly find a refurbished unit or even a used unit between $299-$350.

Your $150 price is 7" screen, possibly capacitive touch, maybe a camera and no GPS. Also do not expect Google apps (Gmail, Market, Maps) etc...to be available unless you can root the device and hack the google services on to it.

The Kindle Fire is a 7" tablet, no camera, no mic, no GPS, capacitive touch screen device....that still doesn't come with Google apps (needs root and hacking) and that comes in at $199.

I've been following the tablet market for over a year.

I have a relatively cheap Viewsonic Gtablet (2 of them). 10", dual-core, 1 Ghz, 512 Meg, 16 Gig storage, SD slot, USB, capacitive touch, camera...NO GPS and it was $399 at launch and now (a year later) can be found for around $250 and up used. No google apps again...but very easily one of the most hacked tablets. The screen is pretty bad....direct view is good but any angle and the image suffers tremendously.

I grabbed a Motorola Xoom off woot for $349 and a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1" off woot for $349. These were refurbs with your asking requirements (GPS, 10", USB and SDCard (though the Samsung doesn't have the SDCARD and USB slot).

FYI...a great app on the Market is TetherGPS ...for tablets that don't have GPS.
https://market.android.com/search?q=tetherGPS&so=1&c=apps

I
nstall it on both your Droid X and your non-GPS tablet and if you WiFi tether your tablet to your Droid, you can also send the Droid X's GPS info to the Tablet.
Droid X runs in server mode and Tablet runs in client mode. Works great. Will also work through a home network as long as both devices are connected on the same subnet (ie...your Droid X on WiFi connected to your home router and your tablet connected to your home router).

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
id go for the fire... just saying. pretty nice for 200. Nook color isnt a bad choice either.

jseah

Reaction score
The closest I have seen that is anywhere near your desired price range and are "pure" Android tablets (I mean they aren't the cheap Chinese made clones that needs to be rooted and hacked to get Android Market to function) have all been special sales.

Best Buy had the 8 GB Acer Iconia A500 on sale for Cyber Monday for $230. I picked up three of them. Dual core Tegra 2 processor, front and rear cameras, 10 inch screen, Honeycomb 3.2.1. You can't get it for that price anymore, besides Best Buy is out of stock on them (I hear that even some people who ordered them through the Cyber Monday sale has been told that they are backordered and Best Buy has no idea when they will get them back in stock to fulfill their orders).

Woot had a refurbished Viewsonic table on sale for $159 yesterday. It comes loaded with Gingerbread 2.3, 8 inch screen, 4 GB, front facing camera only (no rear camera) and it also came with a case. The items only go on sale for one day and it was sold out by early yesterday evening.

Outside of seeing what retailers like Best Buy may do for after-Christmas sales, you may want to check the online closeout sellers like Woot or 1 Sale A Day to see if any clearance or refurbished tablets show up. In recent weeks I have seen both of those sites offering refurbished tablets at pretty good prices about once a week or so. About a couple of weeks ago, Woot had the 32 GB Motorola Xoom (WiFi only) and they were going for about $350 (versus $500 for new retail).

jcardona1

Reaction score
I was able to pick me up a $99 Touchpad during HP's fire sale this past weekend on eBay. Bought two actually. That will probably the last time we'll ever see them for sale at that price.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was able to pick me up a $99 Touchpad during HP's fire sale this past weekend on eBay. Bought two actually. That will probably the last time we'll ever see them for sale at that price.
lol they are practically giving them away. they want nothing to do with it anymore.