I'm looking to get a Tablet

DJTURNz

Reaction score
I'd like to get a Tablet in the 7" range for under $250. My main use is to bridge the gap between my phone (being too small) and having to lug my laptop around and back and forth to my car (Jotto Desk) mount. My main work related uses that my phone gets used for is accessing and searching a 400 page PDF that I get every week, using Google maps to figure out mileage between addresses, calculator, navigation and occasionaly internet. I'd like a tablet (wifi only) that can handle these tasks.

In addition, I'd like bluetooth, Android Market (Google Play), SD slot, and the ability to watch Netflix.

I was considering the Kindle Fire or the Nook Touch, but neither have Bluetooth. I missed a good deal on a DELL Streak 7 Refurb. I don't know anything about all these chinese tablets that have various combinations of android 2.1 to 3.2, 256mb to 1G ram, resistive screen, no memory slot, 4-16gb onboard memory. I'd rather find something that has some internet support. Meaning that if I have an issue, I can find a forum to ask questions. Perhaps something that has ROM support. I'm not looking to hack and reconfigure daily, but the ability to put a ROM on that is stable and will let me load apps and do the things I want is a must.

I'd rather get a refurb from a reputable manufacturer (DELL, SAMSUNG, MOTOROLA, etc) than a new tablet from some company that no one ever heard of.

Thoughts, suggestions? I know the streak hasn't had the best reviews, but screen resolution and battery life are the only negatives I've seen in most reviews.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
its not a 7" tablet but i have the transformer tf101 you can get them used off ebay for the 300.00 mark. really good tablet has ICS . not rooted ( have had no reason too)

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
samsung is coming out with a 7" tablet I believe, could look into that once it's released

OP
D

DJTURNz

Reaction score
I see that Galaxy 7". How exactly does pre-order work and is that directly from Samsung? I don't want a data contract, just wifi.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I see that Galaxy 7". How exactly does pre-order work and is that directly from Samsung? I don't want a data contract, just wifi.
Most likely pre-order through a retailer. You just give a downpayment and when it comes out you pay it off, they reserve one for you.

OP
D

DJTURNz

Reaction score
I went to Best Buy (which is the first time I've been to BB since Smart Phones became the norm). The girl in the Tablets department had no clue what I was talking about. She went and checked and no one knew anything about a pre-order. While she was checking, I used one of their demo Galaxy Tabs to do a search and I found that Tigerdirect had it listed for $249 with a ship date of April 22. So I looked around some more and then left the store. I read a bunch of reviews and watched youtube videos from various bloggers and decided to order from Amazon yesterday (4/16). I bundled it with a 32G card and a fold up tablet stand. So we'll see what shows up next week. At least I hope it ships when they said. I know that often times the release dates are pushed back, but hopefully this is close enough to that date that if it were going to be pushed back, it would have been already.

I'll have to start researching BT keyboards at some point.