Android Tablets

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
Hope this is in the right area.
Wondering what Android tablets are popular and what is the price range for a better/ best cost.

Mainly going to just use to browse the web, watch YouTube, listen to tune in radio, order on Amazon, make/send documents in Word/ MS Office.

Will mainly access with Netgear router inside the house or shop.

If no tablet, maybe a basic Dell laptop Inspiron XPS 15.

I do like using Swype and I guess all tablets can use this app??
Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I bought a gently used Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 (10.1") about a year ago and it runs great. There are a few newer models in the Tab line since that one, and in different sizes. The Pixel C series looks nice, although expensive. Mine came with a kickstand case and I bought a Bluetooth keyboard so I can use it like a laptop when needed, or pop it out of the case when carrying it around the house. Like phones, everyone has their own opinion on what is good, best, etc. For me, the Galaxy Tab tablet has been a good choice for the amount I spent and the little I use it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
TxDoc

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
Thank you for your time and information. That helps a lot.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

OP
TxDoc

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
I'm coming back to this for some more help.
1. From what I understand, the Zenpad will get Oreo. After that, will it just become obsolete?
2. What is the newest model and what kind of memory cards should I buy?
3. What model and options should I look at?

I mainly wasn't to use my Wi-Fi to:
Access the internet.
Watch YouTube.
Do homebanking.
Make and send documents.
Read, and SEND emails.
Like using my phone, but a larger screen.

Less cumbersome than a hot laptop on my lap for a couple of hours.

IF you are recommending one, and can leave me an AMAZON link to purchase, I would appreciate it.
Thank you
Dr Mark

Last edited:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
What price point do you have in mind @TxDoc ? And I assume you meant to type "send" e-mail?

OP
TxDoc

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
>$500, I guess. But, if it takes more, I guess that's fine, too. I'm guessing $400 is gonna be ballpark.

OP
TxDoc

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
What price point do you have in mind @TxDoc ? And I assume you meant to type "send" e-mail?

No, it was right......Not really, you're correct, SEND. SWYPE does require a double check.

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Doc,

For Wifi only I think the ASUS Zenpad 3S 10 (Z500M) is the latest. It uses a Mediatek CPU and is currently running Nougat 7.0. They are ~ a year old now incredibly cheap at that moment, but I'm not holding my breath for Oreo on this unit. I was kind of surprised when we actually got Nougat to be honest. If I did something really dumb and broke my current Z500M, I wouldn't hesitate to order a new to replace it. Especially at that price.

Verizon is also now selling both 10" and 8" LTE units with qualcomm chips

OP
TxDoc

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
The Verizon units would require paying a monthly fee like a phone, correct?

I really would be using this at home, or where there is Wi-Fi, I believe. Or, would take my phone.

I just thought, what if my phone wss used as s hotspot?

Sorry for the dumb questions. This is new to me.
Thank you

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
The Verizon units would require paying a monthly fee like a phone, correct?

I really would be using this at home, or where there is Wi-Fi, I believe. Or, would take my phone.

I just thought, what if my phone wss used as s hotspot?

Sorry for the dumb questions. This is new to me.
Thank you
No such thing as dumb questions, we are here to help each other learn and understand these devices we all use.

I can use wifi hotspot on my phone to provide an Internet connection for my tablet, so I assume it would work on all tablets.

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
As Sajo said, as long as you have the ability use your phone as a hotspot, either with your carrier's blessing or not, you can tether the wifi tablet for internet access when away from Wifi. The only reason I mentioned the VZW tablets is because they're slightly newer and based on Qualcomm chips. So they might be more likely to see Oreo in a future update. (purely conjecture of course)

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
if the tablet you want is lte, and you want to use it, then there is a monthly fee. using your phone as an hotspot to keep from paying the fee is nice but it does eat through data and battery.

OP
TxDoc

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
My main use is sitting in my recliner for the aforementioned tasks.

I doubt I'll ever carry it anywhere. I was just considering potentials out loud.

Earlier this year, I bought a new Dell laptop with SSD drives and all the bells and whistles at $2600 or $2800.

I just want something that's lightweight and not hot I can make documents and read email and watch YouTube and get on the internet to read.

And, this will give me a larger screen than my phone, which isn't bad.

My Wi-Fi at home is great. I have unlimited data, but mostly use Wi-Fi.

I will add 128 GB SD card.

I really don't want, right now, another Verizon charge.

I think this tablet will be great, especially for this price.

The reviews I've read lead me to believe buyers have been happy, too.

I haven't bought, but y'all are really great at teaching me about what's going on.
PS- for those who don't know, I had a stroke in 2016. I'm kinda retired from dentistry. I still maintain my license. I have a 4000 sq ft office with six operatories and two hygienists rooms, a break room, consultation room, two private doctor's offices with full bathrooms. I've put in new floors, and renovations and am interviewing perspective doctors.
So this item will aimed at giving me a little larger screen, do basic tasks and use Swipe instead of typing.
I get better daily and really hope to be normal, again. Fourth of July, I went scuba diving ( swam in a circle), let skiing, I walk and climb stairs, four flights, daily. I drive, l mow grass, hook up trailers, load mowers, tractors.
I can hold jars with my left hand and twist lids off wth my right. I just haven't regained my fine motor movements back in my left hand, yet. But, I will.
I'm told I'm pretty stubborn like a first-class jackass. I've never quit or been a happy loser. I was lucky enough to get a pharmD and a DDS degree. Those weren't easy, either, so I'll get this done.
Anyway...in case you didn't....now you know.
Thanks to EVERYONE