Android Ready Car Deck

Nasteee

Reaction score
Hey guys. So I think I've made up my mind on getting a droid and am going to be purchasing the Droid X when it comes out on the 15th. My question to you all is this:

Do they make an Android ready car deck yet? You can buy iPod ready decks and such, didn't know if they had made anything like that for Android based phones. I've tried looking around and just can't find too much about it.

If they do have them, does anyone know how well they work, or the functionality that comes with them?

Thanks

Nasteee

R1cochet

Reaction score
Hi, I have a Motorola Droid and I love it. Unfortunately I'm unable to answer your question, however I just read today that android 3.0 is coming out in Q3 this year. You might want to make sure the DroidX will be able to update to 3.0.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
If you get a Bluetooth enabled deck you can run your music and phone right through your stereo with no wires. Let's see an I Pod do that without an adapter!

+1 for Bluetooth

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Hi, I have a Motorola Droid and I love it. Unfortunately I'm unable to answer your question, however I just read today that android 3.0 is coming out in Q3 this year. You might want to make sure the DroidX will be able to update to 3.0.

It can. It meets all of the requirements for Gingerbread. In fact, only the X and whatever else sports 4.3" screen will be able to run Android 3.0 (Gingerbread).

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
There aren't any that interface with Android. At least not yet anyway. The problem is there are so many different manufacturers that there isn't really one set connection standard like there is with the ipod/iphone. Like they said above, you can use bluetooth which is what I do but I do kinda miss being able to control everything from my touchscreen monitor. Maybe one day there will be a android car deck or one that can at least interface with the phones but at this point in time there isn't.

DeadlyAP1

Reaction score
It can. It meets all of the requirements for Gingerbread. In fact, only the X and whatever else sports 4.3" screen will be able to run Android 3.0 (Gingerbread).

That's not true. Although that is what was originally posted that Gingerbread would require 1ghz etc... it was later released that those are the *recommended* requirements for Gingerbread. earlier phones will be supported by 3.0 http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-gingerbread-details-emerge-5.html#post602703

dancedroid

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey guys. So I think I've made up my mind on getting a droid and am going to be purchasing the Droid X when it comes out on the 15th. My question to you all is this:

Do they make an Android ready car deck yet? You can buy iPod ready decks and such, didn't know if they had made anything like that for Android based phones. I've tried looking around and just can't find too much about it.

If they do have them, does anyone know how well they work, or the functionality that comes with them?

Thanks

Nasteee

"Ipod" ready means that the deck is able to accept an ipod interface (last i was in the car audio game Alpine was the only brand with the interface built it, all the rest it was a $75-$100 add-on)

So basically the interface acts like a computer and itunes to transfer the data to your headunit in a way it can be read. Currently there is no program that interfaces with a droid like itunes does for ipods/phones. Google Music is rumored to do such and come out not long after gingerbread. So maybe there will be an interface eventually, but i wouldn't expect it for atleast another 2 years or so.

So as it was said either use it via bluetooth, but make sure the headunit can accept bluetooth audio and its not just setup for bluetooth calls. And also from my exp, bluetooth kits are add-ons also.

Or get a deck that had a 3.5mm aux input and use the headphone jack

All phones from the Droid 1 on in power are expected to be compatible with gingerbread

Google dismissed the rumors of gingerbread's needed hardware specs. So all we know yet again is it is called Gingerbread. Its not even known if its going to be 3.0, 2.3, or 2.X

I never believed that rumor, the droid 1 is the highest sold droid device by far and most people wont be up for upgrade until atleast fallish on 2011 (if they upgrade the few months before the 2 yr contract mark.) So i dont see anyway that Google/Android would turn its back on that device already just to piss the majority of android owners off a year before they get a new device. Though ill admitt i will prob upgrade my droid to a droid pro in the fall if its worth it

Google Shuts Down Gingerbread Rumors - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
"Ipod" ready means that the deck is able to accept an ipod interface (last i was in the car audio game Alpine was the only brand with the interface built it, all the rest it was a $75-$100 add-on)

So basically the interface acts like a computer and itunes to transfer the data to your headunit in a way it can be read. Currently there is no program that interfaces with a droid like itunes does for ipods/phones. Google Music is rumored to do such and come out not long after gingerbread. So maybe there will be an interface eventually, but i wouldn't expect it for atleast another 2 years or so.
^ This. In the mean time, look for A2DP and USB.

There are some related threads in the Accessories subforum.

OP
N

Nasteee

Reaction score
There aren't any that interface with Android. At least not yet anyway. The problem is there are so many different manufacturers that there isn't really one set connection standard like there is with the ipod/iphone. Like they said above, you can use bluetooth which is what I do but I do kinda miss being able to control everything from my touchscreen monitor. Maybe one day there will be a android car deck or one that can at least interface with the phones but at this point in time there isn't.

Has anyone used the bluetooth with a kenwood deck? I ordered the kca-bt200 adapter for my deck and was wondering if anyone has used their droid to communicate wit ha kenwood deck the way I plan to? Any compatibility issues or anything?

jkayner

Reaction score
any deck with a standard USB plug would work, the droid would just see it at a USB connection then the deck would see it as a folder to load music from.

I'm not saying to use this one, it's just an example...
h158GT410U-f_mtp.jpg

Last edited:

sroach23

Reaction score
i use a pioneer bluetooth deck and it works great with my phone. i have my steering wheel controls working with the radio. the previous and next buttons work with the stock android music player. they would not work with mspot, im going to see if the buttons work with mecanto.

DeadlyAP1

Reaction score
^ This. In the mean time, look for A2DP and USB.

There are some related threads in the Accessories subforum.

A2DP is great if you are happy controlling the music from the Droid. If you want to be able to pause/play and fwd/rew from the buttons on the deck instead of having to touch the phone, you need a deck that supports the AVRCP Bluetooth profile. Most of the newer BT capable decks can support this.

montlyfool

Reaction score
I use a tape adapter to listen to my phone's music and also listen to the person I am taking to. I can talk hands free through the mic on the phone and listen to the other person through the car speakers.
I also listen to all my music this way from the phone. Yes, you cannot control the music from the car stereo like an IPOD, but the IPOD is also NOT A PHONE.
Maybe in the future you may see one.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I use a tape adapter to listen to my phone's music and also listen to the person I am taking to. I can talk hands free through the mic on the phone and listen to the other person through the car speakers.
I also listen to all my music this way from the phone. Yes, you cannot control the music from the car stereo like an IPOD, but the IPOD is also NOT A PHONE.
Maybe in the future you may see one.

The IPHONE does the same thing so I don't think that the fact that the IPOD is NOT A PHONE has anything to do with it. It just has to do with the fact that their is no unified standard for android. Just an issue with the fact that their are several different manufacturers instead of just one. Until then though, tape deck adapters, bluetooth, and usb are all good alternatives.