I don't care for the iPhone, but may need to switch.........

Mr. No Prints

Reaction score
It seems like everything is geared for apple, which is understandable since it was out first, but is there anything in the works that will help Droid compete, for example I can't use my pandora radio features (displaying the song, artist on the deck, able to thumbs up or down it from the deck, and so forth) that my car deck has because it only works with apple (iphones, Ipods etc..) the android car deck that they have out, works best with an iPhone. I've heard it's because droid doesn't use it's usb functions the same way. I'm thinking of picking up an f150 and know am concerned that the myford touch won't work the same, can someone shed some light of this for me.

Nizmoz

Reaction score
It's not the phone but the software developer that didn't add those items to the APP.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
When you go to look at the car try out the software and see if it'll work the same.

The thing about automobile interface is it's mostly based around the ipod, which an iPhone has.

nikecar

Reaction score
I wouldn't by a car based on if it can or cannot handle an Android or iPhone.

OP
M

Mr. No Prints

Reaction score
I don't intend too, lol but I will consider switching my phone to be able to use the features if need be. That's why i'm hoping there's something in the works that allows music, and apps to run off of usb, which is what it seems the cars require, sure I can run pandora and music from an aux slot, but it's time to step up the game a bit

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I wouldn't by a car based on if it can or cannot handle an Android or iPhone.
And that's why there are so many different cars. Different cars for different users and all come with certain packages for different needs.

If OP feels that music is important in their new vehicle who are we to tell them it shouldn't matter?

edit: OP iPods have been used in cars more, so it's only natural the next step is the iPhone. I'm sure you know this already. However, (though I can't locate the article), I do recall reading on a couple headunits with Android interface that work well with the phone. Might want to research that a bit and possibly do a swap. I don't know how much the total cost it would be, but that's one solution I can come up with off the top of my head.

ConqSoft

Reaction score
It seems like everything is geared for apple, which is understandable since it was out first, but is there anything in the works that will help Droid compete, for example I can't use my pandora radio features (displaying the song, artist on the deck, able to thumbs up or down it from the deck, and so forth) that my car deck has because it only works with apple (iphones, Ipods etc..) the android car deck that they have out, works best with an iPhone. I've heard it's because droid doesn't use it's usb functions the same way. I'm thinking of picking up an f150 and know am concerned that the myford touch won't work the same, can someone shed some light of this for me.

I can tell you that I use my Nexus and my iPhone 4s with my 2012 Ford Explorer's Sync system via Bluetooth. For music, the Nexus doesn't display the artist/track information on the screen; the iPhone does. You can control both from the vehicle though. Same when connecting via USB.

Here's info on phones and what features they support with Sync: http://www.nsapp.fordtechservice.dealerconnection.com/sync/usEN/sync_us_EN_iop_2_00.pdf

Looks like the Droid X did/does display the artist/track information.

OP
M

Mr. No Prints

Reaction score
Thanks Conqsoft, that gives me hope, At the moment my alpine can't play any music via usb from the tbolt (could be a tbolt issue). Thanks to everyone thats replying to my post, all feedback has been great and quick.

ConqSoft

Reaction score
I'd take it by the dealer and link it up via Bluetooth and USB, and test it out. Any salesperson worth anything will let you try it.

t35rk

Reaction score
If you're looking at a new Ford, upgrade to the THX sound system. I SYNC Pandora through it on my work Lincoln Navigator with an equalizer app from the market. Truly stunning sound via Bluetooth. I love driving it because of the sound system. Head and shoulders above the Base system in our Escalades. The head unit does not display the Pandora features, although I think it may if you register the android with SYNC. Since it is a work vehicle, I haven't registered my droid.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

ConqSoft

Reaction score
There's no stock THX option that I've seen. May be a Lincoln-only option. I have the highest end system they offer in my new Ford and it's a 12 speaker Sony system with a sub.

OP
M

Mr. No Prints

Reaction score
If you're looking at a new Ford, upgrade to the THX sound system. I SYNC Pandora through it on my work Lincoln Navigator with an equalizer app from the market. Truly stunning sound via Bluetooth. I love driving it because of the sound system. Head and shoulders above the Base system in our Escalades. The head unit does not display the Pandora features, although I think it may if you register the android with SYNC. Since it is a work vehicle, I haven't registered my droid.

Whats the name of that app?

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Audio FX is great for sound, not so great on the battery. It is constantly running itself to maintain control over the sound settings and causes a lot of drain as a result. This may not be the case on all devices, but just something to be aware of.

ambrown

Reaction score
Well we all vote whether we think we do out not, with our dollars. Yeah there are times I wish I could buy an iHome-like device to dock my phone in and get frustrated when no one seems to care that Android is a huge player in the mobile space. But thats also why I buy Android phones and will support Android connectivity options so the manufacturers of cars and docks will get there message that people want an Android option.

Yeah I could go get an iPhone and keep promoting the one option for everyone, or I can be an Android user and be vocal to companies about what I want.

I send emails and leave feedback all the time telling companies that I'm an Android user and wish they had an app, connectivity feature, etc. that works on Android. If all Android users were a little more vocal about that I'm sure you'd see change pretty quick. Most companies still see Android as just that geeky thing that only nerds buy, and nerds aren't the prime selling group to most companies in general.

However, I'm totally with you on the wishing for better support for Android, it's definitely not there yet :(

Sent from my Droid Incredible on 2.3.4 using the DroidForums app