Android lifecycle - the 5 Rs

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by Natey2, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Natey2

Natey2 Active Member

Root it.
    ROM it.
    Ruin it.
    Return it.

Repeat.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  2. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

You forgot two R's between ruin it and return it:

Rationalize to yourself that "it's my phone and I can do what I want and VZW already charges me enough"

Resolve to commit insurance/warranty fraud
  3. 13th angel

13th angel Developer Developer

+1

too bad there isnt anywhere for 2 p's in there

panic on bootloop
    post on forum while panicked instead of searching for fix
  4. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

haha yeah verizon could have saved so much money if people would have just searched first...
  5. dfuser312553

dfuser312553 New Member

Natey2 I'm not sure I understand this. How does rooting & rom-ing correspond to ruining? Or is it just a Off-topic joke or just a blanket statement for self loathing modders?
  6. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

...clearly it is a joke...
  7. dfuser312553

dfuser312553 New Member

^Ahhh 10char
  8. Natey2

Natey2 Active Member

Are there any cases of someone, unrooted, bricking their phone by installing an app they found on the official Android Market?

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app
  9. dfuser312553

dfuser312553 New Member

^Dunno but there are plenty of cases where there's problems with unrooted stock firmware the manufacturer has no interest in addressing.
  10. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

what sort of problems? I've never heard of a manufacturer not addressing a problem with a stock build. That wouldn't make sense.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  11. dfuser312553

dfuser312553 New Member

Ever used a stock Droid Eris?
  12. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

Nope what's wrong with them?

Securing a brighter nba/nhl future via tapatalk
  13. dfuser312553

dfuser312553 New Member

It's a miracle that thing can turn on. Has trouble sending/receiving texts without random reboot, won't delete texts, camera turns on randomly & is unusable on command, phantom screen presses, random pocket reboots, pretty much everything.

I have factory reset that phone at least a dozen times & even made her claim a warranty for a replacement. Everything is fine for about a week & then the symptoms start to slowly reappear until it's basically unusable.
  14. dfuser312553

dfuser312553 New Member

15. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

Well yeah, that sounds like it sucks, but come on, that's not exclusive to unrooted stock phones. I get random reboots, and I've been rooted since week 1 of owning my droid. I'm overclocked and I still get lag, and if i dont clear my cache, my overclocked phone slows to a halt to the point of wanting to throw it against a wall. Yours may not, but that doesn't mean everyone experiences the same thing as you...and I know I'm not the only one as there are plenty of threads about problems with custom ROMs in all of the developer sections. Problems from lag, overheating, reboots, lost texts, force closes, etc.

i think its more a limitation of the software/hardware then the OEMs just choosing not to or not caring to address the issue. there's only so much you can do with a droid eris...that thing is a piece of crap, spec wise.

About the thread you linked above, not sure why? not being an idiot, just dont get it. it seems that some people have issues with the OEM update and some don't. same as any custom ROM/kernel combination. Some people get great life and no issues, and another person using the exact same phone/ROM/kernel combo gets reboots all day. Just wondering why you linked that thread, I most probably just missed the point...
  16. dfuser312553

dfuser312553 New Member

I guess I should have mentioned the Eris was usable on cupcake which is the last thing I did to it before the we split. It still sucked (oh so hard) because of the hardware but was functional & didn't have a software death wish.

Modding most reasonable answer for it & that's why I linked to the D Pro thread. Lets say you were somehow *blessed* with that set & it didn't play nice with the OTA like some of those unfortunate owners. You have few options & even fewer if you're joe consumer: play the return game, mod, suffer through the faults of others until your contract is up, ETF, or full retail price for a different set.
  17. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

Ah ok got it. Yeah, you're right, for the average joe, if you get a crappy OTA, and you don't know what to do with it and you're stuck with a headache and most probably get disillusioned with Android. But I think overall, the OEMs can't be doing it too wrong, since Android continues to sell like crazy, and the overwhelming majority are not in the root/ROM/overclock/hack scene...Sure there's going to be some who get stuck with a crap phone and an OTA that destroys any semblance of functionality, but I'd be willing to bet it's very very few, or Android would not be as successful as it is...
  18. dfuser312553

dfuser312553 New Member

We're tech savy so we do research before purchase so we don't get lemons. Since super techy devs do the same we have an alternate means for support; a way out of unnecessary discontent with device performance or faults.

I have wondered how many lower & bottom tier device owners will make the jump to a second android device after their experience.
  19. leonozug

leonozug New Member

Yet just today I think there was two posts of people asking how to put their X back to Froyo from Gingerbread...amazing. Last time I looked there was 10,827 threads on how to SBF...:icon_eek:

When I joined here last June I read up or how to do everything involved in rooting and romming. I think most are kids who are lazy and don't want to take the time to learn by themselves, and brick their phones and cry to mom and dad to bring them to store cause their phone "broke". They are also the ones time and time again starting threads whining about their phones bricking and how to fix it. Read up before you do anything to your phones, I did. :)
  20. Natey2

Natey2 Active Member

Why should anyone have to hack their phone (i.e. root it) just to do some basic things like tether, backup, take screenshots, etc. ?

Didn't Google realize Android users would need to do these basic things without ruffling the Carrier by hacking the phone?

For tethering (in the rare occasions I need to) I can use PdaNet.
    For screenshots I will wait for OTA Gingerbread and an app that will use the new screenshot API.
    Still need a solution for a complete phone backup (like Norton Ghost or Acronis TrueImage, for the PC) without rooting.
    I can only backup individual apps, contacts, messages, etc. now.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app