1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Told not to ever use *228

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Bionic' started by WolfBrother, Nov 13, 2011.

1. WolfBrother

WolfBrother New Member

That on 4g phones it ruins the sim card.

Any truth to this?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  2. nateohio

nateohio New Member

I've tried it and it didn't ruin my sim card, it just wouldn't allow it to process. You get a message stating that the SIM card handles it.
  3. GoBears

GoBears New Member

You can use *228 to activate a 3G phone on your line but your 4G sim will retire at midnight and need to be replaced. Sucks for phone swapping unless you have all 4G phones.
  4. nateohio

nateohio New Member

But you only need to worry about it if you are swapping phones right? Its not like dialing *228 from my bionic automatically fries the SIM card right?
  5. GoBears

GoBears New Member

You got it. On 4G phones the sim handles the activation of the device. On 3G devices Big Red handles it.
  6. oneway

oneway New Member

I was told the same thing by a verizon rep. that dialing *228 on a 4g device will have a negative effect on a 4g sim card.......

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  7. orionsvantage

orionsvantage New Member

There is zero need to *228 a 4g phone. I don't know the effects if you do actually do it, but you never should because its a waste of time

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums
  8. Mustang02

Mustang02 Well-Known Member

If the 4G LTE card is already activated, *228 won't do a thing. If it's not then it will fry it, or so that's what's been said by a few VZW techs. No need to do it so don't try it. ;)
  9. Graymayre

Graymayre New Member

*228 is used to program a phones internal cdma values that tell the device what to broadcast and receive, what its ID is and phone number, and where its home location is so that it knows when it is roaming.
    On a 4G device, this is information does not need to be programmed to the phone at all, the sim card is registered to the carrier and they determine who you are and what you access.
    People used to be able to program their phones so that they could have free service, even receive other people's text messages.
    Carrier managed sim access eliminates that, and makes it more secure overall.

The answer is 42.
    Oh, wait, you mean to tell me you need to know the question now?
    Well, I can't answer that.
  10. AlexSB

AlexSB New Member

That's for the explanation I've seen that all over, about *228 frying sim cards. Your sig man lol always gets me

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
  11. dr10129

dr10129 New Member

I had to switch to my Droidx for a few days, went to #228 my bionic and it canceled my SIM from Verizon's system. I was told this is what happend by a Verizon tech support person when I called to figure out why it wouldn't reactivate my Bionic. *228 works for 3g phones and is to never be used for 4g phones. Why this is the case baffles me but, it is what it is. What I was told but the support rep was to reactive the 4g device if I needed to do that again was turn off the 3g device. Take the SIM out of the 4g device. Put the SIM back in and boot it back up. The SIM should then auto bring up the activation menu.
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
Search tags for this page
*228 4g
*228 phone

*228 verizon

*228 verizon 4g lte
#228 verizon
dial star 228
dialing #228 on 4g device
star 228
star 228 verizon

verizon *228