Android lifecycle - the 5 Rs

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
I guess I should have mentioned the Eris was usable on cupcake which is the last thing I did to it before the we split. It still sucked (oh so hard) because of the hardware but was functional & didn't have a software death wish.

Modding most reasonable answer for it & that's why I linked to the D Pro thread. Lets say you were somehow *blessed* with that set & it didn't play nice with the OTA like some of those unfortunate owners. You have few options & even fewer if you're joe consumer: play the return game, mod, suffer through the faults of others until your contract is up, ETF, or full retail price for a different set.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I guess I should have mentioned the Eris was usable on cupcake which is the last thing I did to it before the we split. It still sucked (oh so hard) because of the hardware but was functional & didn't have a software death wish.

Modding most reasonable answer for it & that's why I linked to the D Pro thread. Lets say you were somehow *blessed* with that set & it didn't play nice with the OTA like some of those unfortunate owners. You have few options & even fewer if you're joe consumer: play the return game, mod, suffer through the faults of others until your contract is up, ETF, or full retail price for a different set.

Ah ok got it. Yeah, you're right, for the average joe, if you get a crappy OTA, and you don't know what to do with it and you're stuck with a headache and most probably get disillusioned with Android. But I think overall, the OEMs can't be doing it too wrong, since Android continues to sell like crazy, and the overwhelming majority are not in the root/ROM/overclock/hack scene...Sure there's going to be some who get stuck with a crap phone and an OTA that destroys any semblance of functionality, but I'd be willing to bet it's very very few, or Android would not be as successful as it is...

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
We're tech savy so we do research before purchase so we don't get lemons. Since super techy devs do the same we have an alternate means for support; a way out of unnecessary discontent with device performance or faults.

I have wondered how many lower & bottom tier device owners will make the jump to a second android device after their experience.

leonozug

Reaction score
haha yeah verizon could have saved so much money if people would have just searched first...

Yet just today I think there was two posts of people asking how to put their X back to Froyo from Gingerbread...amazing. Last time I looked there was 10,827 threads on how to SBF...:icon_eek:

When I joined here last June I read up or how to do everything involved in rooting and romming. I think most are kids who are lazy and don't want to take the time to learn by themselves, and brick their phones and cry to mom and dad to bring them to store cause their phone "broke". They are also the ones time and time again starting threads whining about their phones bricking and how to fix it. Read up before you do anything to your phones, I did. :)

OP
Natey2

Natey2

Reaction score
Why should anyone have to hack their phone (i.e. root it) just to do some basic things like tether, backup, take screenshots, etc. ?

Didn't Google realize Android users would need to do these basic things without ruffling the Carrier by hacking the phone?

For tethering (in the rare occasions I need to) I can use PdaNet.
For screenshots I will wait for OTA Gingerbread and an app that will use the new screenshot API.
Still need a solution for a complete phone backup (like Norton Ghost or Acronis TrueImage, for the PC) without rooting.
I can only backup individual apps, contacts, messages, etc. now.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app

Reaction score
Why should anyone have to hack their phone (i.e. root it) just to do some basic things like tether, backup, take screenshots, etc. ?

Didn't Google realize Android users would need to do these basic things without ruffling the Carrier by hacking the phone?

For tethering (in the rare occasions I need to) I can use PdaNet.
For screenshots I will wait for OTA Gingerbread and an app that will use the new screenshot API.
Still need a solution for a complete phone backup (like Norton Ghost or Acronis TrueImage, for the PC) without rooting.
I can only backup individual apps, contacts, messages, etc. now.

Just curious, is there a reason your droid x is not rooted?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Reaction score
You forgot two R's between ruin it and return it:

Rationalize to yourself that "it's my phone and I can do what I want and VZW already charges me enough"

Resolve to commit insurance/warranty fraud

+1

too bad there isnt anywhere for 2 p's in there

panic on bootloop
post on forum while panicked instead of searching for fix

You must be reffering to my lovely 8 posts in a row in less the 20mim, chronicling my first attempt at SBF'ing a phone and me panicing like a mofo. When we first met on here. Hahahaha. Good times. I've come so far since then, but I will never forget that day lol

Ah ok got it. Yeah, you're right, for the average joe, if you get a crappy OTA, and you don't know what to do with it and you're stuck with a headache and most probably get disillusioned with Android. But I think overall, the OEMs can't be doing it too wrong, since Android continues to sell like crazy, and the overwhelming majority are not in the root/ROM/overclock/hack scene...Sure there's going to be some who get stuck with a crap phone and an OTA that destroys any semblance of functionality, but I'd be willing to bet it's very very few, or Android would not be as successful as it is...

+1 sometimes people just have bad luck and get stuck with a phone that got messed up during the manufacturing process or got an OTA that has corrupted files. And they know someone who has the exact same phone but it works perfect, so there like WTF, but most of them are smart enough to send it in for a new one and then the next one works fine. It all just boils down to the fact that nothing is perfect and bad phones happen, but that's why we have returns. As far as the Droid eris. Everyone I know who owned that phone had some sort of problem. It was just a cheaply made phone, meant for people who prolly don't even know how to take advantage of what a smartphone can do for you. Every manufacture has had a dud or two and that was HTC's.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
Natey2

Natey2

Reaction score
Just curious, is there a reason your droid x is not rooted?

Yes.
I expect a phone I purchased to operate acceptably out of the box, with no hacks.
For the most part, the DroidX does.
I would not go back to my Windows Mobile 6 SGH-i617 phone (it was a very good phone) after using my DroidX, but I WILL say the i617 was more stable.